cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kasturiGM
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 7

lenovo g580 20150 latest bios.

hi, i just updated my windows 7 to windows 10. should i update my bios?

i see no update for windows 10, the latest is only for windows 8.1.

this is the current bios i am using

SMBIOSBIOSVersion
5ECN39WW(V3.05)
thanks

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 7

Re: lenovo g580 20150 latest bios.

My rule of thumb with BIOS updates is "if it is not broke, do not try to fix it" because there is always an inherent risk that a BIOS update can fail, and if so, leave  the system bricked (dead) requirnig a new motherboard, and there does not appear to be anything in the latest updates readme.txt other than specific fixes for Windows 8.1... So I would hold off.

Summary of changes
==================
General Information:
Fixed:
1. Modified small number keys (such as the key U, I, O¡­) matrix for win8.

Cheers, 

kasturiGM
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 7

actually the reason i asked because i just recovered from bsod (blue screen of death) with my newly installed windows 10. and the only way for me to recover is reinstall the whole thing again. i leave my laptop for a while, and it just happened. i assumed it had something to do with the bios being outdated or whatnot.

kasturiGM
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 7

i think windows 10 is a little too updated for this laptop. it just happened again, and i have to do clean installation again. the outdated driver could have caused it. i can even get my mousepad to work and have to use usb mouse all the time.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Message 5 of 7

What sort of BSOD, and is it giving you a memory dump?

If you configure Windows 10 to create a small memory dump, you can upload it to http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze and it can often point to the offending driver.   

How to configure Windows 10 to create a Small Memory Dump 

• Right Click on Start and select System
  • Select Advanced System Settings in right pane.
  • Select Settings from the Startup and Recovery Section
  • Use the pulldown menu under Write debugging information to change from Automatic Memory Dump to to Small Memory Dump (256kb)
  • Select OK

Note: By default the <time/datestamp>.dmp file will be written to the %SystemRoot%\Minidump folder  (or C:\Windows\Minidump)

If you want, you can zip up the <time/datestamp>.dmp file and attach it to a reply and I would be happy to take a look... Perhaps it will expose the culprit that is causing your BSODs.

Good Luck,

kasturiGM
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 7

i got all sorts of them. and i have tried to rectify each bsod code before i have to clean install the windows. it does not give memory dump, i will try the method u gave me. thanks.

kasturiGM
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 7

btw, i would be happy to attach the info you asked me. could you teach me how to get the info?

Top Kudoed Authors