Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

09-28-2011

United States of America

32 Signins

315 Page Views

• Views: 315
  • Message 1 of 3

"Clean" Windows 7 installation

2013-03-24, 18:46 PM

Our firm will be buying a number of IdeaPad B590's for a 'team litigation' case and our requirement pretty much neccesitates a "clean" installation of Windows 7 Pro, (which also comes "pre-licensed' on these B590's in addition to Windows 8 Pro..).  Ordinarily (as we've done in the past), this might not be a problem since we'd simply 'swap out' the 320 GB disk that originally comes with these units and simply do a 'clean image' on an entirely new 60 GB SSD disk, but since there are no "COA" license stickers on these laptops, how can we 'redeem' the Windows 7 Pro licenses from these Ideapad B590's and 'activate' them properly?  Ideally, we need to avoid all other 'ancillary' software other than Windows 7, Office 2010/2013, our Norton internet Security protection, and the rather 'customized' professional software we use in team litigation.  Past experience has shown that it is more easily accommodated by simply doing a 'clean install' of Windows on a new hard disk (thus the SSD we want to install in this particular case) and allow nothing else in the way of software be to be installed during the term of this litigation.  At the end of this litigation case, the original SATA disk will be re-installed and these laptops will be 'redistributed' as the firm then decides how it will 'dispose' of these units.  My effort as IT manager for this case is simply as a 'total cost managment' effort as it pertains to this purchase, as well as the time and effort to accomplish the task, which is also a determining factor.

I'd prefer these Levovo B590's overe the Dell systems the senior partner is suggesting, but then ... the Dell i3's do come with Win7 Pro "COA"  stickers, so ... just need a way to accomplish this task ASAP.

Options

8973 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77776 Signins

2227230 Page Views

• Views: 2227230
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: "Clean" Windows 7 installation

2013-03-24, 19:09 PM

Hi,

I haven't dealt with this myself.  Have a look at this thread and the included links.  It sounds like there's a way to do this without a CoA sticker.  You'll use any CoA, then use a call-in activation procedure.  At least, that's the way I read it.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Downgrading-from-Windows-8-to-Windows-7-on-the-T430/m-p/1038255

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

18 Posts

09-28-2011

United States of America

32 Signins

315 Page Views

• Views: 315
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: "Clean" Windows 7 installation

2013-03-25, 19:12 PM

So - the latest 'update' to this:

After spending almost five hours trying to seek some sort of resolution to this, apparently there is no 'easy accommodation' for what I need to do.  Since these laptops come 'pre-loaded' with Windows 7 Pro as an "OEM license", apparently this cannot be used for a clean installation.  In any fashion...

So.... I think we'll just take these back to the place of purchase and buy the Dells instead since they include COA's for Windows 7....

Frustration with Microsoft's licensing practices has gotten the better of me....again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms