Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leng50
Blue Screen Again
Views: 171
Message 1 of 3

windows lan

I have a lenovo G50-80 that connects easily to the internet but will not recognize other computers on my home network. I have tried to change the computer name in system without improvement. I have reset the network -- all for naught.  This computer also works on linux, but I have yet to figure out how to establish a linux-lan. I even edited the window registries lanmanger workstation 

The Wifi card obviously works for the internet. Why will it not recognize the other computers or allow them to recognize it on the lan?

Leonard Nornak

SeniorGuru
Views: 140
Message 2 of 3

Re: windows lan

@leng50 wrote:

I have a lenovo G50-80 that connects easily to the internet but will not recognize other computers on my home network. I have tried to change the computer name in system without improvement. I have reset the network -- all for naught.  This computer also works on linux, but I have yet to figure out how to establish a linux-lan. I even edited the window registries lanmanger workstation 

The Wifi card obviously works for the internet. Why will it not recognize the other computers or allow them to recognize it on the lan?

Leonard Nornak

This is not an issue with the network hardware in your computer - it is a windows system (operating system) issue.  Without going into some very advanced networking talk, it bascially boils down to Windows not wanting to use NetBIOS or other naming conventions outside of "Active Directory" services found on corporate networks.

Some other factors:

Third party firewalls / WIndows Firewall

Improper / mis-configured windows system settings

There is not really anything about either a Windows based or Linux based network - networking is usually OS indebendant, and most Linux computer can use any network you connect to.  On the other hand if you are trying to set up "file sharing" using a Linux based server that will require someone that has a good understanding of SAMBA and how to get that server up and running.

If you have a Linux User Group in your area, I would suggest dropping in on a meeting and see if they have some good ideas for you.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
leng50
Blue Screen Again
Views: 131
Message 3 of 3

Re: windows lan

I appreciate your reply and you may well be correct. I  may not have the training or talent to use your information to correct my problem.

This G50-80 system has, as far as I know, the same network/windows configuration settings as the HP system and the older Lenovo system that communicate well over this network with each other.

I would appreciate a reference where I could learn about these problems and how to fix them.

Thank you,

Len Nornak

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors