Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Beacon, Stick 300, D, J and S Series Desktops
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

03-10-2009

Kansas City, MO

24 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 1 of 16

3000 J - Problem with Internal Modem

2009-03-10, 13:05 PM

Hello,

I still live in the 90's and use dial-up service to access the internet.  My computer isn't recognizing (or there is a problem with) my modem.  I receive "Error 797" when trying to dial-up as I usually do.

The modem is HSF2014 56K Data Fax Modem.  Is there a way to obtain the driver software from Lenovo on CD-ROM, so I can try reinstalling?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Options

16 Posts

02-10-2009

Salinas, California USA

60 Signins

281 Page Views

• Views: 281
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: 3000 J - Problem with Internal Modem

2009-03-10, 19:10 PM

Hi,

I too use dialup and have a  J115 7387-26U.  It came with XP installed and a Vista upgrade when available.  I ordered but never installed the upgrade.  On my system I have a folder "C:\DRIVERS\Modem"  It contains the software needed for the HSF2014, plus installation instructions.  Hopefully, you have something similar.

Options

20 Posts

03-10-2009

Kansas City, MO

24 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2009-03-11, 12:55 PM

I'll check that file.  FYI, additional errors shown on the startup screen include:  motherboard error - resource error, no hardware interrupt available.  PCI/PNP error: PCI in Slot 1.  Media test failure - check cable.

Do these messages help pinpoint my problem any?  As additional info, and I don't know if it's simply coincidence, but my problems started after an overnight thunderstorm.  My system is plugged into a surge protector, but didn't know if it could still have affected my modem somehow...

Options

16 Posts

02-10-2009

Salinas, California USA

60 Signins

281 Page Views

• Message 4 of 16

2009-03-12, 1:31 AM

Hi,

I wouldn't focus too much on the thunderstorm it might be the cause of your problems but might also lead you astray.  I googled "Media test failure - check cable" and the results seemed to suggest that the media mentioned was in fact the storage media, specifically the hard drive.  Also, the same result said it could be a BIOS problem.  So, maybe you just have a loose cable or an incorrect setting in the BIOS.

Normally, a good place to start is by opening the case, blowing out any dust, reseating the cards, checking for loose connectors and just seeing if anything doesn't look quite right.  If everything looks okay go into the BIOS (tap DEL repeatedly during startup)  and spend some time looking at the settings.

The multiple error messages seem to indicate it is more than just a modem problem, but it's more than likely that all the error messages can be traced back to one problem.  Good luck. 

Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10664 Signins

147403 Page Views

• Views: 147403
  • Message 5 of 16

2009-03-12, 3:02 AM

reemoe,

you have not provided your system model in order to give you with a relavant link for your modem drivers,but i am providing you  with two links,one of them has your driver and the other shows how you can test your model in windows xp the two links are given below 

how to test your modem 

Drivers for your modem 

ps:have you checked out the status of your modem in device manager?,hope this info helps you 

Options

20 Posts

03-10-2009

Kansas City, MO

24 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2009-03-12, 12:41 PM

Sorry I forgot to list it -- My desktop is a 7387 26U; serial # LX077F6.

Ryan

Options

20 Posts

03-10-2009

Kansas City, MO

24 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2009-03-13, 12:22 PM

Well, I took off the cover last night and blew the dust out.  Connections did not look loose.  Should I be all right taking out the modem (from the PCI adapter, correct?) and using the modem from my old Hewlett Packard desktop, just to see if this solves anything?

Any recommended modems?  Internal vs. external?  I've read that serial is preferred over USB.

Thanks again!

Ryan

Options

20 Posts

03-10-2009

Kansas City, MO

24 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 8 of 16

2009-03-13, 12:58 PM

Also, I did find the C:/DRIVERS/Modem folder.  However, I am unsure what file I need and exactly what to do with it to install the driver.  The folder contains around a dozen different files.  After clicking, many ask 'Open with....' and then I have to choose from a list of programs like Excel, Adobe, Word, none of which seem appropriate. 

Could you please offer some guidance??

Ryan

Options

16 Posts

02-10-2009

Salinas, California USA

60 Signins

281 Page Views

• Message 9 of 16

2009-03-13, 16:09 PM

Hi again,

It's difficult for me to offer anymore than generalized advice but I'll try to be helpful.

I'd start by removing the existing modem and restarting the computer.  One of the error messages mentioned PCI Slot 1.  This is probably the modem.  If ALL the error messages go away it's a pretty good indication that the modem is the problem and replacement is in order.  I would attempt simply re-seating the modem in it's slot first however and restarting.

I'm pretty sure that the proper drivers would be found automatically for the existing modem.  If not, there's a rather generalized Readme file and a program called HXFSetup.exe which is probably the program you would need to run if required.

While you're in the computer, disconnecting and reconnecting things might be better than just a visual inspection.  Twisting the cooling fan housing on the  CPU with moderate force shouldn't hurt anything and who knows?

If it turns out that the modem is the problem (which I doubt), installing the other modem shouldn't be a problem, assuming it fits and you have the drivers for it.  Again, good luck.

Jim

P.S.  If you haven't already done so, Google all the error messages and see if there seems to be any common element.  There are diagnostic programs available on the web but I've never found one that helped me with a trouble, perhaps someone has and can make a recommendation.

Options

20 Posts

03-10-2009

Kansas City, MO

24 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 10 of 16

2009-03-16, 18:10 PM

OK, this is what I did over the weekend.  I swapped the modem with the one from my old HP desktop.  It worked like a charm; my computer recognized it right away and there were no more error messages on startup!

The only problem is that it takes around 30 seconds for windows to shut down and sometimes the fan keeps running even after the computer is shut down.  At the recommendation of a friend in the IT field, I will leave the computer on at all times and just turn off the monitor when I'm not using it.  (in the past, I would use the the 'stand by' feature, or turn completely off over night).

Hopefully, the above does not mean that the computer may get progressively worse (you never know exactly how much damage was done by the lighning beyond the fried modem). 

Also, I am purchasing a surge protector that includes a phone line protector!

Ryan

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms