Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Beacon, Stick 300, D, J and S Series Desktops
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

02-10-2009

Salinas, California USA

60 Signins

281 Page Views

• Views: 281
  • Message 11 of 16

Re: 3000 J - Problem with Internal Modem

2009-03-16, 18:54 PM

Hi again,

Congratulations!

Even though I expressed doubt that the modem was the problem my first recommendation was to remove it and see if the errors went away.  I'm curious if you did this prior to installing the HP modem.   If so, what did you observe?  Did you experience the shutdown problem prior to installing the HP modem?

Without knowing what you did to this point it's difficult to go on but I'll try.  I'll assume that after removing the modem the error messages went away.  Did you try reinstalling the original modem?  The reason I ask this is because I can't ever remember any hardware problem (other than fans that died) that wasn't related to improperly seated cards or RAM.

I feel that your response to this will be "Screw that!" but I'll recommend it anyway.  If you haven't already done so try reinstalling the original modem and see what happens.

Who knows, your shutdown problem might be related to the new modem.

In any event, I'm glad to hear your computer's working again.

Jim

Options

20 Posts

03-10-2009

Kansas City, MO

24 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 12 of 16

2009-03-18, 17:44 PM

I did try moving the original modem to the PCI slot #2, but the same error messages were still appearing.

The delay in shutting down was before I did anything to the modem.

Ryan

Options

20 Posts

03-10-2009

Kansas City, MO

24 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 13 of 16

2009-03-26, 17:41 PM

New problem now, but still with the modem I think.

I've been using the HP modem successfully for a week or so.  About four days ago, I connected the phone line to the newly purchased surge protector.

Last night, my computer couldn't fully connect to give me access. I could hear it dial, but I received Error 718, a timeout failure when trying to verify my username and password.

My research has shown this error is the failure of the modem to synchronize with the modem on the other side.

I can hear the modem dial like always, it just doesn't fully connect with the internet service provider.

Is my modem shot? Anything I should try first?

Options

16 Posts

02-10-2009

Salinas, California USA

60 Signins

281 Page Views

• Message 14 of 16

2009-03-26, 19:06 PM

Hi again,

If possible, try to access your ISP from another computer.  You want to make sure the problem is yours.

On the Start menu under Accessories/Communications there's a New Connection Wizard.  By telling it that you're looking for a new provider you come to an option by which your modem will dial a toll free number and download a list of providers.  By doing this you're able to tell if the problem is with your modem or elsewhere.  Unfortunately that option isn't working for me.  Maybe it's just my area, you may want to try.

Beyond that I don't know what to suggest other than looking into the other abnormal indications that you've noticed.  You may have some type of intermittent problem and those are almost always the most difficult to pin point.

Good luck, Jim

Options

20 Posts

03-10-2009

Kansas City, MO

24 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 15 of 16

2009-03-26, 23:34 PM

All right, I purchased a modem (Dynex DX-M102 from Best Buy) on my way home from work tonight. The old one is working again, so I'm thinking I may not open the new one quite yet.

Could this be that I am needing to download the latest driver updates, as I never have done so?  If so, where do I go?  Is the download specific to the computer (Lenovo), operating system (XP), or the modem manufacturer (it looks like it is a Conexant SoftV90 Data Fax Modem).

Thanks again!

Ryan 

Options

16 Posts

02-10-2009

Salinas, California USA

60 Signins

281 Page Views

• Message 16 of 16

2009-03-27, 0:03 AM

Hi again,

It really doesn't sound like a driver problem.  But for your information, usually the best place to go for driver updates is the modem's manufacturer, in your case HP.  A bit of searching on their site will turn up any updated drivers.

The 2 most likely possibilities of the recent problems are: 1) your ISP was the cause of your inability to connect and 2) your computer has some type of intermittent problem.

If your sure that it wasn't your ISP the only recommendation that I can think of is what I suggested in an earlier post, i.e. make sure everything has good connections.  This includes the cards, cables and RAM.  I don't recall if you tried the original modem again or not but if you haven't and, your in there anyway, I'd try that.  Or you could simply kick the **bleep** thing.  They both have a way of accomplising the same thing, it's just that one is a bit more genteel.

I would definitely return the new modem.

Jim

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms