Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Beacon, Stick 300, D, J and S Series Desktops
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

10-16-2008

United States of America

183 Signins

1352 Page Views

• Views: 1352
  • Message 1 of 2

HDD - no OS found

2008-11-02, 19:58 PM

This one has me stumped. I came home Fri, booted the home pc (Lenovo 3000 - J115). Comes up and says No OS Found. Obviously, this is somewhat surprising since it has been working fine. I have the latest Symantec AV and Spyware app. The drive (a WD 250GB) is still recognized in BIOS.

Fortunately I have another blank sata drive. I loaded XP on the new drive. Then plugged in the old WD in the 2nd sata slot..  BIOS sees it, Dev Mgr sees it. However, it is not recognized in My Computer nor the XP Admin Tools to manage drives. So, I cannot configure it or get data off of it. Any ideas?

Message Edited by chooks on 11-02-2008 02:59 PM
Options

1 Posts

11-10-2008

Tampa Area, FL

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: HDD - no OS found

2008-11-10, 2:37 AM

wrote:

This one has me stumped. I came home Fri, booted the home pc (Lenovo 3000 - J115). Comes up and says No OS Found. Obviously, this is somewhat surprising since it has been working fine. I have the latest Symantec AV and Spyware app. The drive (a WD 250GB) is still recognized in BIOS.

Fortunately I have another blank sata drive. I loaded XP on the new drive. Then plugged in the old WD in the 2nd sata slot..  BIOS sees it, Dev Mgr sees it. However, it is not recognized in My Computer nor the XP Admin Tools to manage drives. So, I cannot configure it or get data off of it. Any ideas?

Message Edited by chooks on 11-02-2008 02:59 PM

I had the same problem, with the same model (with same HDD), and I had a new SATA HDD and I just installed a WinXP Pro UG on it and I have started to transfer the important data and reinstall the drivers and programs. I haven't tried installing the old HDD in the second SATA slot yet, but I'm able to access the old HDD (and copy files to the HDD or thumb drive) from my Dell Inspiron laptop using my Sabrent Model# USB-DSC5, 5in1 USB 2.0 Cable to SATA and IDE 1.8"/2.5"/3.5" Hard Drive & 5.25" CD/DVD-RW Drive Adapter (~$20 from CompUSA).

If you have (or have access to) a USB/SATA external drive enclosure or USB/HDD adapter, you might want to try accessing the old HDD that way.

I'll try to remember to post when I get around to installing the old HDD in the second SATA slot.

-Ed

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms