Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Beacon, Stick 300, D, J and S Series Desktops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

02-07-2010

Vanishing America

5 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 1 of 1

How to ...safely... remove CSS and deactivate TPM?

2010-02-07, 17:54 PM

This question follows on to my reviving my motherboard from the dead. Having replaced the visually-defective caps on the MB and had it reboot, it's now been running for some weeks.

I have no need for the fancy security on the machine. It's used for a test machine, but I'd rather not have to wipe the machine and start over if I don't have to. Not to mention that the machine's primary value now is the installed operating system and that it kind of works.

The security stuff it a PITA for this use. So how do I ... safely ... disable it and not lose the contents of the disk? What do I look for?

I don't think the HD is encrypted, but how do I tell? (obviously, I didn't do the initial setup on this thing or I'd know already).

Specifically, I want to disable the boot delay involved with the thing examining the state of the security chip and then having to do c-a-d to be able to sign in. I'd also like to not have the CSS software "help" me when I'm in the OS, and I'd like to do something about shutdown.

Ah, yes, shutdown. When I try to shut down (WinXP), the thing runs through a shutdown cycle, all the way to turning off the lights... and then reboots to the "press c-a-d" to log in. It does not willingly evern turn the power off. Since power-on-hours were (IMHO, and I'm an experienced EE) a big factor in the failure of the MB in the first place, I want it to go --> OFF <-- when I tell it to, not just get ready to make me hit c-a-d again to sign in.

I did the due dilligence searches, came up with some info on CSS, not much on the TPM, and nothing on removing them. Pointers on where to look are as good as telling me the scoop as well.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms