Options

13 Posts

03-22-2016

USA

22 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 41 of 77

Re: Is it possible to recovery BIOS on Idea Stick 300?

2016-05-04, 23:28 PM

Dont contact Lenovo.  Send it back to where you bought it and tell them it was DOA.  Lenovo and others bet that you will not care about losing $100.  And they are right, most of the time.  So send it back to the seller and move on.  IMHO.

Amazon refunded my money promptly before they recieved the return.  Lenovo cant even imagine that type of service.

Options

69 Posts

02-13-2016

US

334 Signins

2061 Page Views

• Views: 2061
  • Message 42 of 77

2016-05-04, 23:40 PM

Unfortunately, I bought mine at Best Buy, and they have a two-week return window.  Amazon has a 30-day return window, so I'd told.

In the thread above, an alternative (non-Intel) stick was suggested.  I had seen that option prior to buying the Lenovo stick.  I bought from Lenovo instead because they were an established, well-known company with a reputation (and a relationship with IBM) to protect.  Of course, sometimes a small company protects their reputation even more closely, but it can be a gamble.  At the price of some other sticks (including the Intel one), the Dell 3050 I bought for about the same price, is a MUCH better option, in my opinion.

Because I want BitLocker encryption on my portable devices, I upgraded the Dell to Windows 10 Pro for $99.  A Windows 10 Pro upgrade is forever linked to the specific computer you install it on.  Needless to say, I would be really fuming now if I had done the same on the Lenovo stick.

Options

69 Posts

02-13-2016

US

334 Signins

2061 Page Views

• Message 43 of 77

2016-05-04, 23:46 PM

wrote:

Blimey, you really have to hand-hold Lenovo and their cronies through this stuff. Does their technical support staff training course begin with 'Part 1: The Mains Plug - A Beginners Guide'? Imagine what the people are like who don't make it past the Lenovo interview process...

You ask way too much.  It's annoying enough to interfere with our personal schedules by having us come to work, now you expect us to do something other than browse the web and play with our smartphones?

Options

90 Posts

03-17-2015

UK

167 Signins

1350 Page Views

• Views: 1350
  • Message 44 of 77

2016-05-06, 15:59 PM

Further Update: Well, Lenovo did not call me by end of Friday as promised to organise a replacement, so I called them before they closed their office for the Weekend. They tell me the back office has been instructed to send out a replacement and to contact me to arrange such, but seemingly (as far as records show) have not progressed it. The support chap has now sent a chasing email and I should hear something from them some time next week though it may now be via email.

We now travel deeper down the rabbit hole. Curiouser and curiouser, she said.

Options

69 Posts

02-13-2016

US

334 Signins

2061 Page Views

• Message 45 of 77

2016-05-10, 16:49 PM

wrote:

We now travel deeper down the rabbit hole. Curiouser and curiouser, she said.

The question is, where is that rabbit hole?  Is it in Grapevine, TX (the location of the closed Lenovo Service Center), or the one in Louisville, KY?

As I previously said, I mailed mine to the Grapevine rabbit-hole on April 1, and it was received by someone there on April 4.  I just now got off a 20-minute hold with Lenovo customer service, and they told me that the Louisville rabbit-hole received my Stick 300 on April 30.  Further, that I should expect a full replacement in 7-10 working days.  I hope so, because my warranty is up in two weeks, and after that, the Lenovo customer service call-back option will no longer be available to me (since it validates my warranty by device serial # before providing access).

However, supposedly "when" I receive my replacement Stick 300, it will have a brand new warranty.  We shall see.

Options

90 Posts

03-17-2015

UK

167 Signins

1350 Page Views

• Message 46 of 77

2016-05-13, 16:02 PM

Good question. I have reached Friday and, surprise surprise, no contact from Lenovo. So I call again and relate the whole tale. This time I am told to contact Medion about it. I point out that, as I just explained, Medion refuse to discuss the matter with customers and require that I contact Lenovo. I am then given a new ID number and told a supervisor will email me.

Problem is, apart from the fact I'm off on my summer hols for 2 weeks in June (so cannot receive or sign for packages at that time) and if a new one needs to be sent, and considering the Windows 8 to 10 free upgrades will end at close of July, if this drags on much longer I'll find it'll cost more than the stick is worth to get W10 on it.

What is wrong with Lenovo? Does anyone know any tricks that I can apply if this supervisor ever contacts me to persuade him to get something done? I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to ask for a refund and swear off Lenovo products from now on.

Options

90 Posts

03-17-2015

UK

167 Signins

1350 Page Views

• Message 47 of 77

2016-05-16, 20:20 PM

UPDATE: No contact from anyone, but the package has arrived! Blimey.

So, I get the same type of stick but with W10 preloaded. Thing is, the stick has the same Kingston drive and the version 7 firmware. So had I decided to swear off updating the firmware (understandable...) I would have ended up with a brick again, once the OS had tried to update. Lenovo really do like to generate returns.

So, I grab the USB stick download of the version 10 firmware because, frankly, the number of brickings from the Windows version is alarming enough to say it's broken. Following the process documented almost works (add a : to the end of the drive identifier to select it, and after flashing make sure to reset firmware to 'optimal' defaults checking Secure Boot is re-enabled) and after tweaking (as specified) works fine.

Now the stick will update to the latest W10 without getting stuck, and no need to turn off write caching. Don't give up, this firmware update is worth having.

Options

20 Posts

02-14-2016

NJ

44 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 48 of 77

2016-05-16, 21:37 PM

Glad to hear you are back in operation.

So you did the "BIOS Flash with UEFI Tool" instructions and not the "BIOS Flash under Windows" instructions. 

I did two firmware updates to mine with no issue using the "BIOS Flash under Windows" .exe file, which I know I was apparently luckier than most have been. 

But I deviated from the "BIOS Flash under Windows" instructions and did not download and run it from a USB flash drive. I ran the .exe right from the WIN10 downloads folder on the Stick 300 C:/ drive after I downloaded it. 

The only thing attached to my USB port was the RF receiever for the keyboard which is not bluetooth. 

Options

90 Posts

03-17-2015

UK

167 Signins

1350 Page Views

• Message 49 of 77

2016-05-16, 22:11 PM

Yea, the Windows flash CAN work, but the risk is not low. I recall a poster earlier confirming a brick with a flash from the internal drive. It is too moody to test it enough to be sure.

Making a stick with the UEFI tool is a simpler and less risky approach.

Options

90 Posts

03-17-2015

UK

167 Signins

1350 Page Views

• Message 50 of 77

2016-05-17, 16:26 PM

Hilariously, I've just got an email from Medion telling me they've now dispatched my device to me and I can track it with the following tracking number (blank). Track it? It's under my telly! Well done with the communication Lenovo/Medion, very impressive.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms