Options

9 Posts

05-01-2016

UK

15 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 51 of 77

Re: Is it possible to recovery BIOS on Idea Stick 300?

2016-05-24, 11:11 AM

I've also had this problem and had returned the Stick to Medion in Germany. I've also got the very odd status message saying "Your product has been disposed of correctly". The Lenovo support site is showing the status for my repair as blank.

I've emailed Lenovo to ask if someone can let me know what is going on.

This really is a very poor way to run a support / repair system and to keep customers informed.

Options

69 Posts

02-13-2016

US

334 Signins

2061 Page Views

• Views: 2061
  • Message 52 of 77

Lenovo update

2016-05-30, 19:55 PM

Today I received the following eMail from Lenovo:

• Thank you for choosing a Lenovo Personal Computer. We received your Lenovo Desktop IC Stick 300-01IBY at the Depot Facility on 5/11/2016. We’d like to apologize that the repair is taking longer than usual due to parts availability. Nonetheless, below is the estimated date on when we will receive the part. As soon as we receive it, it will take additional 7 business days for us to ship back your machine.

The "estimated date on when we will receive the part" is June 20.  Thus, if I receive the Stick back on July 1, that means that Lenovo will have had the Stick for three months.  Still, the fact that Lenovo initiated a communication with me is a good sign.

It has occurred to me that in my letter in the return package, I requested version 10 of the BIOS.  That may account for the above delay.  We can only hope ...

Options

69 Posts

02-13-2016

US

334 Signins

2061 Page Views

• Message 53 of 77

Re: Lenovo update

2016-06-08, 0:19 AM

wrote:

... the fact that Lenovo initiated a communication with me is a good sign. ... We can only hope ...

Today I received a shipping tracking # from Lenovo !!!  The "Purchase order number" includes my original Stick serial #, but the "weight 6 lbs" and apparently the box size of "8.00x15.00x18.00 in" confuses me ...

Either the weight and size are canned values, or I am getting a LOT of Lenovo Sticks ... Maybe I get to perform a number of BIOS updates until one works ...

Options

9 Posts

05-01-2016

UK

15 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 54 of 77

2016-06-08, 8:23 AM

I finally got my replacement Stick from Lenovo on 6 June - practically a full month after I posted the broken one back to them. Very slow!

It just turned up - there had been no notification that it had been posted.

Communication from Lenovo / Medion was very poor.

I'm sorry to say the experience has taught me to avoid Lenovo products in future.

Options

69 Posts

02-13-2016

US

334 Signins

2061 Page Views

• Message 55 of 77

Re: Lenovo update

2016-06-14, 0:30 AM

wrote:

... Either the weight and size are canned values, or I am getting a LOT of Lenovo Sticks ...

Only one, and the box was much smaller and lighter than the FedEx waybill.  The Stick has a different serial number.  It was manufactured a week after my original Stick, so it includes the old version 8 BIOS (which I do NOT intend to upgrade!).  The new one did not include another power supply.  That's OK;  I kept the original one.

The new Stick came in a slightly different retail box, perhaps intended for international release:  The old part number was 92F0000US;  the new one is 92F0001UK.  The serial number of the new one is not recognized by the Lenovo web site, and thus there is apparently no warranty.  Sigh ... is correct;  there is no reason to buy any further Lenovo products or recommend them, until better support procedures are established.

It came with Windows 10 x86 Home installed, but it was the version from last summer (like the original Stick did).  The update to the November 2015 Windows 10 release took forever and seemed to have problems (maybe from me being impatient).  So, after Windows 10 was "activated", I did a clean install of Windows 10 x86 Home, which was much quicker than the update.  There were some devices flagged in Device Manager, but an "Update Driver Software" (Windows did the search for drivers) fixed that.

That just left the HDMI device with no audio, so I downloaded and installed the "Intel Driver Update Utility Installer" (from Intel's site), and that installed a current video driver and restored audio.   Installed Office 365 and still have 16GB free.  Further, the Stick is considered by Microsoft to be a "tablet", so it counts against the tablet limit of Office 365, not the PC/Mac limit.

The "GFX_Win8.1_10_32_15.33.42.4358.zip" file described in another thread can also work, but it is for the Intel Compute Stick, and requires some messing around to get installed properly.

Options

1 Posts

08-04-2016

KR

5 Signins

224 Page Views

• Views: 224
  • Message 56 of 77

2016-08-04, 2:49 AM

I just updated to the latest bios Update. Immediatly after the update the stick doesn't boot. The light flashes for around 10 secs then switches off - it seems to be in an infinite loop.

I tried unpluging the USB Hub and the Memory card - nothing works...

Any suggestions / workarounds?

Thanks in advance for your contributions?

Options

9 Posts

05-01-2016

UK

15 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 57 of 77

2016-08-04, 6:48 AM

It happened to me and others on this forum. The only solution seems to be to return it to Lenovo / Medion for repair or replacement. In my case this took about a month during which time it was hard to get any information from them on progress. I hope you have better luck.

Options

69 Posts

02-13-2016

US

334 Signins

2061 Page Views

• Message 58 of 77

2016-08-18, 5:16 AM

I've had enough problems booting Windows 10 after applying the Anniversary update.  I've never had any problem with reinstalling Windows 10 (v1507 or v1511) or doing other maintenance.  It seems that the problem only starts after I apply Intel drivers for the internal chipset.  So, I figured I had little to lose if the Stick bricked (as happened to my previous Stick) when updating the BIOS to v10.  First, I placed the Stick in the freezer for five minutes (no longer, you don't want condensation when you take it out), and that allowed me to boot Windows.  I then immediately (before the Stick got warm again) ran Lenovo's BIOS v10 upgrade directly from Windows.  That also worked, as have a couple subsequent reboots of Windows 10, after the Stick got warm.

I will see if the BIOS update helped the Windows booting problem, and/or if the freezer technique is a reliable bandaid.  I will report back.

Options

69 Posts

02-13-2016

US

334 Signins

2061 Page Views

• Message 59 of 77

2016-08-20, 0:56 AM

wrote:

I will see if the BIOS update helped the Windows booting problem, and/or if the freezer technique is a reliable bandaid.  I will report back.

Nope, but reformatting and installing Window 10, but NOT updating to the Anniversary upgrade, helped a LOT.  I now think it's the Intel chipset drivers, which otherwise appear to work OK, except for the full boot process (so, far any reboots after a "shutdown" do not fail).  It would be helpful if Lenovo had downloadable drivers, or even a factory recovery image.

UPDATE:  I had obtained the chipset drivers by having Device Manager "Update Driver Software", and it turns out that's not a good idea;  it's not the correct set of chipset drivers, and it created the above Windows booting problems for me.  Better to get the SOC_BYT_Win10_32.zip file for the Intel Compute Stick from the Intel site.  That seems to have eliminated my "boot loop" problems.  Sorry I don't have the link.

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Views: 610511
  • Message 60 of 77

2016-08-21, 16:23 PM

Here is the link to the download that DeanGibson mentioned......

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25311/System-on-a-Chip-SOC-Driver-Package-for-Intel-Compute-Stick

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms