Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doubleagle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 49,796
Message 1 of 11

Cannot change boot sequence!!

This is unbelieveable for me!

I have a 3000 J series (J115) Desktop. My PC was affected by boot sector virus which forced me to wipe out the entire hdd including Rescue/Recovery participation. Even though I had XP license key, I was forced to shell $50+ to acquire XP CD and reload it.

But .....to wipe HDD and make boot sequence to use CD was AN adventure!

Here are the reason why -

My PC did not come with a floppy disk drive;

My boot sequence was set for FDD(1), HDD (2), CDD (3). However - there was ABSOLUTELY no way to change the sequence. I don't have FDD, my HDD is affected with virus - goes into endless loop, my CDD can't be accessed to install XP from scratch! I can't change sequence from FDD-HDD-CDD to CDD-HDD-FDD or FDD-CDD-HDD

I called Lenovo support - they didn't know how that could be, suggested I take the PC to one of their authorised service dealer. But since the PC was just past warranty period, I had to pay for the service charge. I had to figure this out myself.(I didn't want to spend $200 on a PC that cost $399 with Monitor.)

My question is - has anyone experienced this? Meaning - not being able to change boot sequence.

What I did was - I pulled a FDD from an old PC, used a utility program on a floopy disc to remove HDD partition. This forced PC to jump to CDD (as HDD was not readable), installed my new XP.

Again - how to I make boot sequence "changeable"? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

LouCopits
Punch Card
Views: 49,727
Message 2 of 11

Re: Cannot change boot sequence!!

On my J115 I held down F12 when I powered on and got a screen to change boot order.
Doubleagle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 49,657
Message 3 of 11

Yes. When I hold my F12 button - I get the screen to change boot sequence, except I can't change anything on the screen.

To prevent changing boot sequence got to be either a mistake by Lenovo or an illegal attempt by Lenovo to force taking my PC to a service provider. I like to believe it is former. If that is the case - what is the fix?

Thanks everyone.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 49,639
Message 4 of 11

Doubleagle, welcome to the forum,

I haven't looked at a J115's BIOS, but on ThinkCentres it is possible for a supervisor to disable the F12 function. Have you looked in BIOS go see if you have this function disabled? You can also change the boot order in BIOS if you wish to.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Doubleagle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 49,633
Message 5 of 11

Thanks Andy for your reply.

Yes I have checked into BIOS settings. Within Bios setting menus, there is an option - "starup device menu prompt"

However - all it does is enabled/disable uses of F12. But once I am on Change Boot sequence menu by pressing F12 - I can't change anything. I have experience with handling lots of different types of PCs - this is the first time I have come across a problem like this.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 49,630
Message 6 of 11

You should then change the boot sequence in the BIOS Startup menu, this will change the default order shown in the list when you press F12.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Doubleagle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 49,587
Message 7 of 11

Well Andy, looks like you didn't believe my posts earlier.

You are right - I should be able to change boot sequence after the prompt on pressing F12. BUT I CAN'T!!!

That is the whole point of my post. Why can't I be able to change boot sequence? what can Lenovo do to fix that? It seems to me this is big error on Lenovo's part.

jonellie51
What's DOS?
Views: 47,368
Message 8 of 11

Hi There

I may have inadvertently hit on a solution to your problem when reseaching a solution to my problem.

I attached a Passport USB device to a client's Lenovo and the result was that the machine would not boot as the USB device had over-ridden the fixed boot sequence and the Lenovo was attempting to boot from the USB device. Remove the USB device asnd everything works normally plug it in and it will not boot. You cannot cahnge the boot sequence so my only solution fro my client was to unplug the USB passport except when she wanted it to backup not ideal but as you have found out you cannot change the boot sequence.

What you can do however is buy/borrow a USB CDor DVD drive, plug it in and hey presto it will boot from the bootable CD in the drive as it will ignore the built in boot sequence.

Hope this helps if you have not already thrown the Lenovo out of the window.

John

closnapoli
What's DOS?
Views: 45,828
Message 9 of 11

I know I'm a year or two late, but I found the simple solution to the problem. Go into the BIOS and on the tab go to startup and hit enter. You will then be able to change your boot sequence.

evaristo
What's DOS?
Views: 32,844
Message 10 of 11

REAL SOLUTION PEOPLE!!!!!
Hi, I am on Mexico but the computers works all the same way, so don't worry.
What I've found is a BIOS option under EXIT menu, it says something like "optimal settings", well, if this option is enabled will always force to load the same bios settings, by disabling that, regardless the warning after this, you'll be able to change the boot device or source.
I have called to lenovo support for latinamerica, a colombian lady assisted me, but she neither I weren't able to think in that, and it's probably bcause their quality or tech policies limit their actions... well, I was able to research more about it because, thankfuly my pc skills are pretty advanced and because I am not afraid when working on computers, Now I will restore my system and will call back to support to notify I have found a solution for their issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals