cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aladiim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,098
Message 1 of 10

D400 does not boot - file system check during boot?

Hi all!

I had to reset (disconnect power) our D400 home server because it did not react.

After booting all LEDs look like the system is online after reboot. Blue power LED, blue Network LED, blue HDD LED, blue system diagnostic LED and the HDD-LEDs oh both HDDs are blue.

But I can not connect to or ping the home server.

Is it possible that booting has not finished yet (I'm waiting for 3 hours now) because the home server performs a file system check? The HDDs sound like there is activity...

Thanks and regards!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,071
Message 2 of 10

Re: D400 does not boot - file system check during boot?

hi aladiim,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

It's possible that the D400 is performing a chkdsk on the drives for consistency but 3 hours seems long unless there's something wrong with one the drives. If the server is still not booting up after a couple of more hours, you may need to restore the home server. To do this, you will need to:

1. Press and hold the power button on the D400 server until it shuts off

2. Remove all HDD's to prevent data loss

3. Press and hold the reset button at the back of the D400 server until the system status LED turns red and starts to blink

4. Insert the Home Server Recovery DVD on the client computer and run it

5. Follow the screen instructions and Choose Server Recovery (recommended) to recover from system failure - Note that system settings and user accounts will be lost.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

aladiim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,054
Message 3 of 10

Hi & thanks for your help!

After one more night waiting for the possible chkdsk to complete I wanted ti shutdown the home server.

I only pressed the power button once and the home server reacts normal: he is doing the normal shutdown process and then powers off.

Isn't this a sign that the system came up without errors?

Perhaps the network configuration got lost and it is not possible to connect to the server under the known IP address?

Is there a standard IP address which is set as default? I could try to connect the server directly with a network cable to my laptop, choose the same subnet and try to access the server...

Thanks again!

aladiim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,052
Message 4 of 10

One more information:

During the boot process I can hear one short beep just before the two HDDs are mounted and the tow HDD LEDs light blue. Is this an error code?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,023
Message 5 of 10

hi aladiim,

Regarding your questions:

1. When you power ON the home server, you should get these LED indicators for a successful boot up.

Power Led (blue) - The system is connected to the power supply and is turned on and ready for use.

Network Led (blue) - The network is connected.

HDD Led (blinking blue) - There's an HDD activity

System Status Led (blue) - The operating system has booted (running/normal operation).

2. If there's a problem with the TCP/IP config on the home server, the Network Led should have no light or the LAN Controller Failure POST error code should appear (see page 58-59 of the User Guide).

3. AFAIK, the D400 server uses DHCP to obtain an IP address (there's no default IP address). Check your router and see if the D400 is trying to obtain an IP address or if it's specifically assigned an IP address.

4. According to the User Guide, a blue HDD LED light indicates that the disk was mounted and the disk has been manually added into the Windows Home Server HDD volume.

Hope this helkps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

aladiim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,020
Message 6 of 10

Thanks again for your answer!

1. When you power ON the home server, you should get these LED indicators for a successful boot up.

Power Led (blue) - The system is connected to the power supply and is turned on and ready for use.

Network Led (blue) - The network is connected.

HDD Led (blinking blue) - There's an HDD activity

System Status Led (blue) - The operating system has booted (running/normal operation).

Yes, this is exactly what my LEDs do.

2. If there's a problem with the TCP/IP config on the home server, the Network Led should have no light or the LAN Controller Failure POST error code should appear (see page 58-59 of the User Guide).

OK. So there's no error...

3. AFAIK, the D400 server uses DHCP to obtain an IP address (there's no default IP address). Check your router and see if the D400 is trying to obtain an IP address or if it's specifically assigned an IP address.

There is no entry of the home server in my router.

4. According to the User Guide, a blue HDD LED light indicates that the disk was mounted and the disk has been manually added into the Windows Home Server HDD volume.

I read this too but was not sure if it's good when the light is on. The word "manually" is not clear to me - does it mean something didn't work automatically and there was any workaround? Or is this the normal behavior?

Even my LightOut settings work - I can see how the lights get darker when booting is finished.

I'm sure the server is up and running. Perhaps the network interface is not working anymore.

I also used wireshark to listen to the network traffic between my laptop and the server - and there is NO packet coming from the server to the laptop...

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 994
Message 7 of 10

hi,

The word "manually" might mean that the HDD is added in the Windows Home Server Console but was not initialized yet and may require you to run the Add a Hardrive Wizard to fully add the HDD as a storage device for the Home Server. For newer drives, this is a normal behavior but for previous HDD's that you've already added, the home server should automatically detect the drive as a storage in the Windows Home Server console (probably it corrupted the settings when the D400 hanged).

Spoiler
hdd_not_added.jpg

Try to remove all HDD's that you added and see if the Home Server boots up ok and gets connected to the network. If this doesn't work, you may need to restore the home server by pressing the reset button and running the Windows Home Server Recovery DVD on the client PC.

Best regards,

neokenchi

aladiim
Paper Tape
Views: 984
Message 8 of 10

When I remove all HDDs it does not boot. The two HDD LEDs in the middle are RED, I have to insert the one HDD, there seems to be the boot sector on it...

My problem is: I do not have the recovery DVD and Lenovo needs 5-7 days to send it to me. Is there any possibility to upload it as ISO anywhere from anyone?

Highlighted
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 973
Message 9 of 10

hi,

IIRC, the D400 Server comes with a Home Server Recovery DVD and a ServerClient Software InstallerCD. If you don't have former, you will need to contact the person who have access to these softwares or get it directly thru lenovo (unfortunately there's no ISO copy available for download on the lenovo website). I'm afraid you're kinda stuck until you get those discs.

Best regards,

neokenchi

aladiim
Paper Tape
Views: 952
Message 10 of 10

I will try to get the DVD thru Lenovo...

But perhaps it will be better to change the system...Windows Home Server is outdated, D400 is not supported anymore - we will perhaps use a ProLiant Microserver with Linux on it now...

Thanks for your help!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals