Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sauk1
Paper Tape
Views: 601
Message 1 of 5

Graphic card upgrade: MSI Geforce GTX1050 on S510-10KW

I was wondering if anyone has experience in upgrading to this card on the Lenovo Tower S510-10KW?

I am a novice looking into the MSI Geforce GTX1050. 

I have understood I need to upgrade both the power unit and the card. Some instructions on doing this are in the user manual. But will that be enough or do I have to do anything special when booting up (BIOS?) or so? And will the card be compatible with the computer?

Thanks for any help I can get!

Guru
Views: 522
Message 2 of 5

Re: Graphic card upgrade: MSI Geforce GTX1050 on S510-10KW

Hi.

I don't think that you need any more special configuration. Maybe you can check the support site for your model and update the BIOS to the latest version, just in case.

To install the Graphics card just make sure that you have space on the case and that you have the PCI-E port free to connect the card.

Also check the maintenance manual of the machine and also open it up to review the PCI-E slot and space to fit the card.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

sauk1
Paper Tape
Views: 499
Message 3 of 5

Really got a problem when doing this. Didnt see it mentioned anywhere in advance!

I installed a corsair vs650 psu to power a new gpu within my S510 10KW tower. The shop said connecting cables would be self explanatory but nothing fits. I have a 10 pin and another 4 pin on motherboard. 

Am I correct in assuming I should use the 8 pin cable from the psu and "break it apart" (it is meant to break) and then order a 24 pin to 10 pin adapter and use on the largest cable (24 pin) from the psu? Safe to go then?

Thanks for any help I can get!

Guru
Views: 495
Message 4 of 5

Hi

On Page 40 of the maintenance manual of the machine  it seems to require three power cables to the mainboard.

2018-05-01 20_19_41-s510_tower_hmm.pdf.png

It seems to me that you need two (2) 4-pin cable to the mainboard and 1 10-pin cable also there.

If you are missing a 4-pin cable from the power source, there are some adapters like this one.

4-Pin-Power-Adap-350.jpg

Just in case check that I'm comparing the right mainboard from the manual with the one that you have.

It also looks to me that the 24-pin to 10-pin adater will work for what I read, but I had never used.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

sauk1
Paper Tape
Views: 489
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the reply!

The original psu just had two cables so I dont recognize the second 4 pin you write about. Then I am good to go I hope.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals