Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 3,115
Message 11 of 28

Re: Ideacentre Stick 300-01IBY not booting after Bios Update

@oldman80 wrote:

... it came with a one year warranty from Lenovo. In fact their site some where braggs that "all Lenovo products come with a one year warranty." After searching Lenovo's site, (no small deal), I found a telephone number (1-877-453-6686) which is their warranty checkup site. I explained to them that my stick came with a one year warranty printed, in the box, and the site says that my stick was out of warranty. They (warranty site) at first said that that stick had only a three month warranty, but I informed them that It came with a document stating that all Lenovo products had a one year manufacture's warranty and I wanted my stick to be fixed. I had to send them an email copy of the warranty and the purchase document , which I did. They in turn changed my warranty on Lenovo's site to one year. (November 2015-November 2016.) ...

You know, I just checked my Lenovo box, and yes, there is a yellow sheet that says that the Stick comes with a 1-year warranty !!!

I'm astounded that Lenovo is getting away with this.

@oldman80 wrote:

.... I do not think it was worth the "jumping through hoops" endeavor, just for a $100 dollar device. In the mean time, I purchased another stick from Amazon, An Intel stick of the same type, except it has a USB 3 port as well as a USB 2 port.

You are correct on this as well, and is the decision I made a month ago as well.

Fortunately, my Lenovo Stick (90F20000US) failed under warranty.  The replacement (90F20001UK) accepted the BIOS update and has been working flawlessly since.  However, I will never buy another Lenovo product, even if I read in the news that some Lenovo executives have gone to jail.

oldman80
Punch Card
Views: 3,111
Message 12 of 28

I might add that the Intel stick says that It has a 1 year warranty vs a 3 year on all of their other devices. See http://ark.intel.com/compare/86612,91065
kleong
Paper Tape
Views: 2,916
Message 13 of 28

I wish I had seen this forum thread before I tried to do the BIOS update on my two Ideacentre Stick 300 devices.  They are both bricked now as I used the Windows update method.  Unfortunately, my devices are officially out of warranty but I have only had them for 11 months.  

I have been on the phone with two different Lenovo support agents asking for a resolution.  The first agent told me to go to Best Buy which is not even listed as a support centre in Canada.  That was when I did more research and found this forum thread.  I truly believe that Lenovo should just step up to acknowledge the 1-year warranty which is printed on the bright yellow warranty information sheet included the box.  Moreover, Lenovo should either post a big warning message that their BIOS update may potential destroy the Ideacentre Stick 300, or simply pull their BIOS update altogether.  

For a long time Lenovo customer / supporter / fan, I am very disppointed with how Lenovo had handled this situation for all the unfortunate Ideacentre Stick 300 owners who tried to update their BIOS.  

msdos401
Paper Tape
Views: 2,858
Message 14 of 28

This is not a solution, it should not be marked as so. There needs to be some sort of procedure that can be done, especially for those who are out of warrenty. 

oldman80
Punch Card
Views: 2,842
Message 15 of 28

I got my replacement stick back last friday. It just showed up no advance warning. It was a production model a few months later than my old stick. I plugged it in and it worked as the old one did, so I supose that it has the later upgrade. I am breathless waiting to see if the same thing happens again, but my 1 year runs out next month and I certainly would not pay them for an extended warranty as the statement on their site is 3 months warranty for the stick, yet the bragging infamous yellow sheet says "All Lenovo products have a one year warranty." If you read the warranty stated on the warranty site it braggs about all lenovo products have a one (1) year warranty, but on the stick site it says 3 months. I guess the yellow sheet was chosen to indicate "Yellow Sheet Journalism."

I do not think that any legal formula exist that can make a "Chineese Company" honor a written contract except that the telephone number I cited in my original statement is in the US and I suppose that US citizens man that post, so they went in to the data base and changed my non existant warranty status and gave me a trouble ticket number. For edification, remember that Lenovo bought the IBM PC business a few years back, so I believe that all of the business resides in main line China. The stick was designed by Intel, and I supose that the stick itself is manufactured in China. The Intel stick that I have was made in China as well as the original and the replacement.

Maybe a complaint to Intel may jog someone to check if Lenovo is violating the contracy between Intel and Lenovo.

msdos401
Paper Tape
Views: 2,821
Message 16 of 28

I am glad you got a new stick back. I am running in to the same issue, I just called support. They gave me the same run around about the stick haveing a 3 month but them me countering that there is a yellow document stating that It has a 1 year warrrenty. Then the support person made me e-mail a scan of the  of the warrenty document and the e-mail of my purchase recipte from when I bought the darn thing. Then the kickker of all kickers is that she said that she would have to escalate the matter and I would have to wait three days for a call back. Come on, this is not acceptiable, this should not happen. Its a simple matter of issueing an RMA for a fail bios update. Or better yet they could post a procedue that would alow us to recover from a bad bios update, like intel dose for there sticks.

ludawg
Paper Tape
Views: 2,751
Message 17 of 28

Lenovo are being stubborn and provide crap customer service. I called up the Microsoft Store Online help support and they represnetative even contatced Lenovo support and no dice on them accepting to provide any type of support of the device since it was out of the 90 day warranty service. I suggest for everyone here to go to any of the websites that sell the product and just give negative reviews of your experience. I know it takes a lot of time but you cans just copy and paste a statement, I've done it at Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

For me I just had to give in and buy a refurbished model for the price I paid for from the thing last year's black firday, since my credit card will reimburse me. That is the only way I can do it, I took it to the Microsoft Store to see if they could do anything and nothing, they weren't able to restore anything.

One question I have is does anyone know where on the package if the Windows 10 license? I hope it wasn't just in the OS or the device itself when you booted up, I wouldn't mind using the WIndows 10 license on another device but I don't seem to find it anywhere on the packaging.

kleong
Paper Tape
Views: 2,730
Message 18 of 28

For my two Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300's that I had bricked from using the Lenovo provided firmware update tool (Windows tool), the service rep escalated my case to a NA Case Manager who was only able to offer me a full refund on my purchased amount of the two Stick 300's.  Like many here, I had purchased my Stick 300's on a nice discount so it will definitely cost more for me to purchase replacements.  I am using these Stick 300 for work so I don't have a choice but to find the most reasonable price.  I don't know how long it will take Lenovo to issue a cheque to me for the refund amount.  I am going to guess weeks maybe months later.  

I specifically requested the NA Case Manager to initiate a removal of the Windows BIOS update tool on the Lenovo website in hope that no one else falls into the same predicament that we have.  

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,728
Message 19 of 28

@ludawg wrote:

One question I have is does anyone know where on the package is the Windows 10 license? I hope it wasn't just in the OS or the device itself when you booted up, I wouldn't mind using the WIndows 10 license on another device but I don't seem to find it anywhere on the packaging.

What version of Windows is on your refurbished device?

The Windows 10 license is auto-generated (ie, "activated") by the upgrade (not a fresh install) process from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

If you currently have Windows 8.1 on the device, check to see if you qualify for a "late" free upgrade to Windows 10 via the following Microsoft web page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

oldman80
Punch Card
Views: 2,710
Message 20 of 28

There is no Windows 10 license number on the package as Microsoft sells the OS on a downloadable to a thumb drive or a DVD on which the license number is embeded into the system and automatically license the machine that you are putting the system on. I know this by the fact that I had to buy another licensed W10 over the internet to fix my Acer laptop that the hard drive went south and would not boot into the recovery partition. Here to fore I had upgraded from Win 8 to the free upgrade and it had been working for about a year when the disk failed with no warning. The free upgrade time was past, so I had to put a paid license version on the machine

Windows 10 is available by purchasing a new device or a full version of the software.
The free Windows 10 upgrade offer for devices running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 ended on July 29, 2016. A discounted "upgraded" version of Windows 10 isn't available.

See: 
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929

Get Help Activating Microsoft Windows

This will give you the total low down on activating Windows 10

There is a separate document for multi license  methods

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals