Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 1,789
Message 21 of 28

Re: Ideacentre Stick 300-01IBY not booting after Bios Update

@oldman80 wrote:

There is no Windows 10 license number on the package as Microsoft sells the OS on a downloadable to a thumb drive or a DVD on which the license number is embeded into the system and automatically license the machine that you are putting the system on. I know this by the fact that I had to buy another licensed W10 over the internet to fix my Acer laptop that the hard drive went south and would not boot into the recovery partition. Here to fore I had upgraded from Win 8 to the free upgrade and it had been working for about a year when the disk failed with no warning. The free upgrade time was past, so I had to put a paid license version on the machine

Windows 10 is available by purchasing a new device or a full version of the software.
The free Windows 10 upgrade offer for devices running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 ended on July 29, 2016. A discounted "upgraded" version of Windows 10 isn't available.

Once you have activated Windows 10 on a computer, that activation is recorded at Microsoft, and is permanent, even if you change disks.  Cases:

1. I bought a Dell i3050 which came with Win 8.1.  I upgraded it to Win 10.  Right after that, I replaced the SDD ("hard drive") with a brand new, uninitialzed (larger) SSD.  I installed Windows 10 on it (eg, a "clean install") from a Microsoft downloadable ISO copied to my own USB drive.  At the conclusion of the install, Windows 10 booted and showed "activated".
  2. I have done the same thing on several other computers as well, wipiing existing installations and doing fresh installs.  In each case the result is the same:  The new install of Windows 10 boots and shows as "activated".
  3. Further, Microsoft has explicitly documented that this is how registration and activation works.  I'm sorry that you wasted money on a new Windows 10 license, but it was completely unnecessary.

I have also upgraded Windows 7 computers to Windows 10 (for free) on computers of users who qualify using the link I posted above, after the expiration of the July 29th standard deadline.

msdos401
Paper Tape
Views: 1,786
Message 22 of 28

Didnt you find the yellow warrenty document in the box stating that the stick has a 1 year not a 3 month warrenty?

oldman80
Punch Card
Views: 1,783
Message 23 of 28

The yellow document was for the stick which I got replaced. The Win 10 down load was for my Acer Laptop that developed a bad drive.
msdos401
Paper Tape
Views: 1,777
Message 24 of 28

Well I was able to use the yellow warranty document to get Lenovo to replace my bios update bricked stick, that is what I was referring to. If you didn't, I would go back to Lenovo and then force the issue.

oldman80
Punch Card
Views: 1,763
Message 25 of 28

I did get my stick replaced, and it works great. I am glad that you got your stick replaced. I was just answering the "Where on the box is the license number" , my drive on the Acer developed a failure and I could not recover the "free" upgrade so I could have pretended that I was "impaired" and down loaded a working upgrade, but I chose not to and purchased the full download. The gist of this is that If you do not have access to the repair sector of the drive which also contains the registration data, then you have to either buy a new iteration of Win 10 or convince Microsoft you are legit. I czn do this now as I bought the down load from the Microsoft store.
oldman80
Punch Card
Views: 1,760
Message 26 of 28

Dean:
You did the smart thing and kept a copy of your down load and used it on the same machine, which is in keeping with Microsoft's EULA. I let Win 10 auto upgrade the Acer and did not keep a copy. I usually make a cloned copy on a USB drive and just swap out the drives if an error occurs. I got lazy and did not do this since the machine was new and the drive was new. I had no legal copy to repair the machine. I could have put a legal copy of 8 back on the machine, and down loaded "Windows free upgrade for users of Assistive Technology" found at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade. I chose not to do this as it has the ability to "Bite me in the ***"
Mike__K
Paper Tape
Views: 981
Message 27 of 28

I'm in the same situation with my Lenovo Stick, but I'm out of the warranty period.

It was working until I noticed there was a BIOS update available here on the Lenovo site. I followed the procedure to update the BIOS from within Windows but it appears that failed and now I just get the power light cycling on/off about every 10 seconds. Nothing comes up on the TV screen at all. Tried all options available to try to get into the BIOS anyway, but no luck.

It is unacceptable that Lenovo is offering a BIOS update and when you follow the procedure it bricks your device! DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE THE BIOS FROM WITHIN WINDOWS (despite the fact that Lenovo documents this as an option)!

Lenovo, you need to make this right!!

BrickedMyStick
What's DOS?
Views: 328
Message 28 of 28

Just registered to say the same as the others - The Windows method using the instructions published by Lenovo to flash bios resulted in a bricked device.

Shame on Lenovo for not fixing the issue or removing the link to the download when they know this is the result.

It even said on the screen that the bios flash was successfull!!!

I wish I had seen this thread first.

Not happy, I will never buy a Lenovo product again......

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals