Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macmike78
Paper Tape
Views: 1,081
Message 11 of 18

Re: Ideacentre Stick 300-01IBY not booting after Bios Update

@itsashame - I assume you're still sitting on your brick? Using it as a door stop perhaps? I'm so ticked!!!

itsashame
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,061
Message 12 of 18

I am glad that my friends took my advices not to buy Lenovo products because of poor customer service and the incompetent technical support team. So far, 3 laptops and 1 desktop and is counting....

oldman80
Punch Card
Views: 987
Message 13 of 18

This has been a problem with many posters and I just signed on to see if any solution has been posted. You can read about getting a replacement stick at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/ld03_en/thread-id/1975/page/2
oldman80
Punch Card
Views: 985
Message 14 of 18

I signed on to see if this problem was solved as I know from past posters that this was a problem. In the past there was a lot of posters that had bricked their sticks and could not get resolution about a repair or replacement as Lenovo was acertain that there was only a 3 month warranty on the stick when they were putting a printed 1 year warranty in the box. They were also dating the warranty period from the time it left the factory, so buyer beware. I finally convinced them to honor the warranty for one year and got a replacement that has been working fine. My original stick just stop working. You may want to readsome of the posters at:  CLICK HERE as it is difficult to find all of those unfavorable fixes of the past. There seems to be no reasonable way to search the past posters, but use the URL that I cited above to get a start.

Mod's Edit:  Fixed bad link in post.

UserName12345
What's DOS?
Views: 952
Message 15 of 18

Although not from a BIOS update, my IdeaCentre Stick 300 became bricked somehow.  It failed to boot a few times, leaving me no choice but to pull the power.  After a few attempts, it then failed to even display the inital Lenovo BIOS screen.  The blue light would come on, but there was no indication that it was doing anything.  USB thumb drives with access lights placed in the USB port would show no activity.  

I was pretty much sure it was a loss, so in a last ditch effort, I pried open the case (there's a single screw in the back, under the label, towards the bottom.  Once I had it opened, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reconnected it and, to my surprise, it booted up perfectly thereafter.  

Perhaps the update corrupts the BIOS settings or something and it just needs to be reset.  It's worth a try before tossing the Stick in the trash.

oldman80
Punch Card
Views: 942
Message 16 of 18

I believe that you are right, as I read a couple of post about disassembly and removing the battery. This is an old trick on some of the past Bios on motherboards. The difficulty seems to be getting the stick apart keeps many from trying, but one poster pointed towards the site that shows the disassembly of an Intel stick which gives one faith that it can be done, so if my replacement stick fails, then now I know how. as an aside, The latest Bios 027KT08AUS locks up the BIOS and will let you only change the time and date. You get into this Bios by using the esc key. Since the Bios is locked from  change, the only way that you could change the Bios would be to have an auto flashing program incorporated in the  Bios download and perhaps do it from the SD drive.

Mike__K
Paper Tape
Views: 831
Message 17 of 18

I'm in the same situation with my Lenovo Stick, but I'm out of the warranty period.

It was working until I noticed there was a BIOS update available here on the Lenovo site. I followed the procedure to update the BIOS from within Windows but it appears that failed and now I just get the power light cycling on/off about every 10 seconds. Nothing comes up on the TV screen at all. Tried all options available to try to get into the BIOS anyway, but no luck.

It is unacceptable that Lenovo is offering a BIOS update and when you follow the procedure it bricks your device! DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE THE BIOS FROM WITHIN WINDOWS (despite the fact that Lenovo documents this as an option)!

Lenovo, you need to make this right!!

p.s. This failed BIOS update is not the same thing as a problem with the BIOS settings, so pulling the battery will not fix it.

The fellow who posted above saying that pulling the battery fixed it also said his problem was not a result of the failed BIOS update. Different problem... can't use the battery solution here.

DarKo314
Paper Tape
Views: 33
Message 18 of 18

I found this in one of the forums ( I forgot to save the source URL):

"I, like others bricked my Stick when updating the bios to O27KT10A. I used the UEFI shell method and it still crashed. I remember glancing at the error message and it was the spi flash write error. After that brick. the stick will not boot.
    I have the equipement to flash in circuit the 25Q spi flash chip so I removed the inside headers from the Bin using extractor and checked the bios file using the inside tools and it all checked out. I got an FD size of 4.7MB (the file is 4.78MB). close enough.
    I proceeded to open the stick to gain acces to the spi flash chip and I checked the type. It is a winbond 25Q16DWSIG. At that point I realised what had happened. the chip is only a 2MB chip. There is no way a 4.7MB bios will fit in there ! this is an odd chip the D means that it can output 2 bits in parallel for fast read. Something not used by the Intel Atom. normally on all the Atom devices from China you find 8MB devices like the INTEL stick which has a 25Q64FWSIG.
    I think somebody scammed somebody. I wonder if the Chinese manufacturer just put 2MB chips because thats all he got at the time and the original bios could fit and he did not care if it died later.
    Anyway the result is that if you got a stick with that spi chip, it is dead. It will never be able to load that BIOS. Just for the fun of it I will remove the current SPI chip and get an 8MB one. program the BIOS and solder the new chip. I will see if that revive the stick.
I hope this is usefull to others."

Without valid varanty, the stick is good for garbage. You could salvage small fan from it, though.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals