cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex351
Paper Tape
Views: 10,351
Message 1 of 68

Is it possible to recovery BIOS on Idea Stick 300?

Hello!

Is it  possibile  to recover BIOS on Stick 300 after failure during update to latest BIOS version under Windows?

(it hanged on screen Dont Power off.....)

Now on power on it switches on a blue LED on stick  for a 3-4 seconds. And I see some activity with flash in USB port - Led on flash is blinking for a few seconds. But no video  signal on HDMA and not responding to keyboard.

Is it possible to boot from USB and recover BIOS or any other way?

Thanks.

Alex.

Jeff20
What's DOS?
Views: 10,174
Message 2 of 68

Re: Is it possible to recovery BIOS on Idea Stick 300?

Hi,

I also have this question as the BIOS on my stick was Version 8 and I tried to update it with the version 7 which was provided by the support page. As the flash software doesn't prevent updating older BIOS via newer BIOS it flashed the BIOS and now I get "No Boot Device found" when starting the stick.

Thanks

Jan

jh34
Punch Card
Views: 10,075
Message 3 of 68

Jeff20 I just went though the same thing, a little scary. 

In BIOS choose load setup defaults, save changes and exit, and it will be OK.

AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 10,066
Message 4 of 68

As of right now Lenovo no longer offer any firmware download for the Ideacentre Stick 300 at all. Very weird. Has the update been recalled? If so, how do we downgrade?

Jeff20
What's DOS?
Views: 10,060
Message 5 of 68

Hi jh34, Thanks for the hint. It worked. I was under the impression of standard (ASUS) BIOS updates that the defaults were loaded when changing the BIOS. Jan
jh34
Punch Card
Views: 10,054
Message 6 of 68

I would first hope for leave bios settings as is, assuming they were working OK. Second choice like you said is for the flash to reset all to defaults.   But this flash is setting it to something else and it cannot find the bootable drive. 
The BIOS flash instructions were not clear to start with. I imagine that some units have been returned because of this, that were not really bad. 

jingking
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,974
Message 7 of 68

I have the same problem,

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Beacon-Stick-300-D-J-and/IdeaCenter-Strick-300-Auto-on-after-pow...

You can go to Setup Utility and press F9 to reload all deafault settings. Otherwise the hard drive will be "locked".

AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 9,889
Message 8 of 68

After every firmware update for every PC you should reset the firmware to factory defaults. If your bios allows you to save the settings (like my ASUS mobo does) do not restore them after a flash. Reset the firmware to factory defauilts then manually put in your settings (and resave the backup if it's like my ASUS). The reason for this is due to the firmware settings you can't see. If you ever crack open a PC bios firmware file you will find there are many options that are not exposed to the user. Never the less, they will have 'default' settings that they use. A firmware update may well change the defaults the bios should use for these, but unless it is reset they will not get set to these new defaults. That can lead to issues later that are rather hard to track down. Some firmware update utilities will reset to factory defaults, but that has its own issues as the user may not realise the reset has happened and that can confuse or cause issue. Personally, rather than trust the 'automatic' stuff, I like to do it myself anyway to ensure things are done correctly.
Alex351
Paper Tape
Views: 9,883
Message 9 of 68

Thank you guys.

I made an attempt to update BIOS after reading this mentioned topic on this forum. And main reason was the possibility to auto boot the operating system on Stick at power on. As I have read here - such a possibility was inclueded in latest BIOS version.

But my trouble is that it hanged during BIOS update and now is gives no picture on display and no reaction on any key on USB keyboard. So Stick already a brick.

Additionally I didn't found  a manual for BIOS update on Lenovo site. And no recovery procedure.

If to look on Intel site - there are both, but for Intel Stick (Which seems to be OEM with Lenovo ).

I tried to go through Intel BIOS recovery procedure. I see IO to USB flash (blinking LED on USB flash stick)  inserted to USB port. But again - nothing happens and after e few blinkings the stick  sleep down.

It seems the only chance to recover is to boot somehow from USB flash with some bootable image. Or accept successful transformation of Idea Stick to brick by the BIOS update taken from the manufacturer's site

AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 9,879
Message 10 of 68

I used the firmwarte update from the Lenovo site (v7) successfully, but shortly after I did this the firmware was taken down from the Lenovo support web site and when I last checked (can't at work, old browser not compatible) there is no longer any firmware update offered by Lenovo for these sticks. I assume because there is a problem, but there is also no method given for flashing back to a stable firmware that hasn't been recalled. Not good. The Intel emergency flash process is based on having a firmware file on the USB stick. The stick needent be bootable, as the stick should just scan it for a suitable firmware file when the emergency flash process is triggered. This is for Intel sticks, but it may be possible with Lenovo sticks. The problem is, Lenovo have never provided a basic firmware file to do this with. They provide an executable that flashes from within Windows. If I had a copy of the Lenovo update exe file I would use an unpacker programme like 7Zip to attempt to extract the base files from the exe file (may or may not be possible, may or may not need an alternative to 7Zip). If this can be done, and if the embedded firmware file is (as expected) similar to the Intel stick, then simply placing the extracted file on to a FAT32 USB stick and initiating the recovery flash procedure (assuming it works like Intel) should result in a fix. That is IF your flash has not gone so badly as to muck up the emergency bootstrap process itself (unlikely, but can happen). Good luck. It may be more sensible to return the stick under warranty, but if you have no joy there you may find there is still room for experimentation. Remember, there is always a chance of a problem (though slight) when you update the basic firmware on any device.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals