cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,733
Message 21 of 68

Re: Is it possible to recovery BIOS on Idea Stick 300?

@AndyCalling wrote:

Exactly my experience. Have you had any luck resolving it?

Well, sort of.  After trying a number of things to no avail, I quickly entered a support ticket, and since my unit is still under warranty, Lenovo sent me a return/exchange authorization.  It went in Friday's mail ($6 postage), and Lenovo should have it tomorrow (Monday).  Hopefully the new unit will have the v10 BIOS installed, and be back here in a week.

Given the number of bricking problems people are having, Lenovo should (in my opinion) extend the warranty for bricked units due to attempted BIOS updates.  Not only would that be good customer service, but it would really help the sales of the Sticks.  Other than bricking the BIOS, these units are more programmatically indestructable than most PCs.  Even having a "restore your unit to factory fresh" (with a current BIOS) return service that carried a nominal (<$25) charge for out-of-warranty units, would give some assurance against failure.  After all, shipping these units is so inexpensive, it's not a big deal.

I happen to think these Stick computers are the future for a significant segment of personal computing. Assuming one is going to a location where there is already a TV or monitor, these Sticks are much more convenient than a Windows tablet or laptop.  I also have Microsoft Surface 3, and the Stick is much more convenient (I carry it with a mouse and a Logitech K380 Bluetooth keyboard) when I do volunteer work that requires a computer, because a nice big screen is much more usable!

While I wait for my Stick to be returned, I bought a mini-displayport-to-HDMI adapter for the Surface.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,656
Message 22 of 68

Update:  According to USPS, Lenovo received my semi-bricked Stick 300 on Monday, April 4.  Late today (Wednesday, April 6) I received an eMail from Lenovo stating "This email is to notify you that your issue has been resolved."  That's nice.  How?  Presumably it is in the mail, back to me.

The eMail also had a generic link to "Contact us" for support.  Under "Warranty & Repair", clicking on "Check Repair Status", and then entering the "Service Request #" into the "Case #" field produced "Error : Invalid Case ID".  Apparently a Service Request #" is not the same as the "Case #".  Clicking on the link for my registered device produced a page with the original Serial #, but a different Product ID:

The original product ID was "90F2000US".  The new product ID is "90F2CTO".  Apparently "CTO" stands for "Configured to Order" in Lenovo-speak.  I presume that is a designation meaning that my BIOS has been updated (hopefully to v10).  No idea yet as to whether there is a factory-fresh load of Windows 10.  Not a big deal, as I had just done a Windows refresh before attempting to apply the BIOS update.

Stay tuned for exciting new updates (no, not the USA election primaries).

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,605
Message 23 of 68

Update:  As of Wednesday, I have not yet received the Stick 300 back.  Deafening silence from Lenovo, and still no apparent way to check the status of my repair/exchange on the Lenovo site.  I sent a new Service Request, but that just generated an eMail that said that I could send my Stick back for exchange, with a new service # !!!

If they've sent it back to me, it must be by USPS mail.  I get automatically notified by either UPS or FedEx when any shipment is sent to my address, and I have heard nothing.

Tuesday I ordered a new Dell Inspiron 3050 (2"x5"x5") from B&H Photo, for 50% more than the price of the Stick 300.  I still like the Stick 300 (especially the size) and plan to continue to use it.  However, Lenovo's communication practices can be problematic (this is not the first instance), and I have to look to the future for a better solution.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,496
Message 24 of 68

On 2016-04-06@, DeanGibson wrote:

... Lenovo received my semi-bricked Stick 300 on Monday, April 4.  Late Wednesday, April 6, I received an eMail from Lenovo stating "This email is to notify you that your issue has been resolved."  That's nice.  How?  Presumably it is in the mail, back to me.

That presumption is false, as there has been plenty of time to receive the Stick back from Lenovo, by any reasonable shipping method known to man. The remaining (reasonable) presumptions are:

1. Lenovo does not have any replacement Sticks in stock, so they are waiting for another boatload from China. This is very similar to my original Stick order direct from Lenovo last December, where each day for several weeks, the Lenovo web site showed that my Stick would ship "the next day". I canceled that order and bought from a local retailer when they finally had them in stock.
  2. The eMail phrase "has been resolved" is false, and merely means that my Stick is in some sort of queue (eg, investigation, service/repair, shipping, ???), waiting to be processed.

Meanwhile, the Dell 3050 has arrived, and is more than a nice substitute.  Dell (and most other USA retailers) understand the importance of good customer communications.  The Dell 3050 has a fan, but in two days of operation with the Windows 10 "power settings" set at max, I have never heard the fan turn on.  The RAM and SSD storage are easily upgradable (per the manual).  Oh, and spare/upgrade parts and drivers are easily available.  After installation, there have been two BIOS updates, without incident: one automatic one from Dell, and one subsequent manual one by me.  In fact, I started doing BIOS updates around 1980 (with EPROMS and UV erasers!), and the Lenovo Stick update failure is the first one I've ever experienced.

Without excessively belaboring the point, Lenovo has lost me, due to poor/non-existent communications.  I had been enthusiastically recommending the Stick 300, but I can no longer do so, except for specific applications.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,406
Message 25 of 68

@DeanGibson wrote:

On 2016-04-06@, DeanGibson wrote:

... Lenovo received my semi-bricked Stick 300 on Monday, April 4.  Late Wednesday, April 6, I received an eMail from Lenovo stating "This email is to notify you that your issue has been resolved."  That's nice.  How?  Presumably it is in the mail, back to me.

That presumption is false, as there has been plenty of time to receive the Stick back from Lenovo, by any reasonable shipping method known to man. The remaining (reasonable) presumptions are:

Without excessively belaboring the point, Lenovo has lost me, due to poor/non-existent communications.  I had been enthusiastically recommending the Stick 300, but I can no longer do so, except for specific applications.

It gets worse:  A call to Lenovo reveals:

1. The Lenovo service representative (in the Philippines) was completely unaware of the Lenovo web page that I used to generate the Service Request, or the process that is used as part of that web page.  He said that I should have just called Lenovo (hey, there's a efficient idea, to call and waste two people's time rather than use a simple web form).
  2. The address that was provided in Lenovo's eMail to me with instructions to return the Stick 300, is the address of a CLOSED Lenovo service center (the new one is apparently in Louisville, KY).  The USPS tracking info showed that my Stick 300 was delivered, but not to whom.
  3. They have no record of either the Service Request # that was in the Lenovo eMail to me, nor of the serial # of my device in their service records database.
  4. The Lenovo service rep suggested I pursue the issue by finding and filling out a "Feedback" web form for Lenovo (wherever THAT is).  Yep, that's GREAT customer service !!!

It is virtually impossible to find a USA Lenovo phone number that will route you to a human being on this side of the planet.

A second call to Lenovo service (Philippines) got someone that promised to contact the Lenovo service manager, and someone would get back to me.

SteveJC1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,316
Message 26 of 68

I now have the same problem. After trying this BIOS update my Stick I got an error message and it won't boot into Windows or enter into the BIOS. There is no image on the HDMI output and the only sign of life is the blue LED which glows for a few seconds every now and again.
Has anyone found a solution please?
tomtips
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,299
Message 27 of 68

No user solutions.

Take it back to where you bought it and tell them it was DOA.  Move on to another brand of stick.  Lenovo support sucks.

SteveJC1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,291
Message 28 of 68

Thanks - I got it from Amazon - so hopefully no problem returning it if it comes to that.

I've emailed Lenovo support to give them a chance. 

bilaliz
Paper Tape
Views: 2,271
Message 29 of 68

I would not bet on that, they are a complete failure, I have intel compute stick with much fewer issues (i have had couple of random reboots but other than that its going strong) or you can also try
https://www.amazon.ca/Quantum-Windows%C2%AE-Baytrail-T-Quad-core-1-33GHz/dp/B00X4O6GRK/ref=cm_cr_arp...
jh34
Punch Card
Views: 2,261
Message 30 of 68

For everyone that had a failure with the .exe version of the BIOS update, has anyone then tried the "BIOS Flash with UEFI Tool" version?

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/300-series/300-01iby/downloads/DS1...

It's more involved but might help recover from the failed flash. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals