cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,212
Message 31 of 68

Re: Is it possible to recovery BIOS on Idea Stick 300?

As I recall from the instructions, there's no way to use the UEFI tool if you have a non-functional BIOS.

However, if I had to do it again, I'd start with the UEFI tool, as it looks like you run a script from a "command line".  That just might mean that you can immediately try the update again (if you don't do something dumb like reboot after the error).

I noticed that someone recently reported that the Stick would not work with 5.0vDC power;  the supplied Lenovo power adapter provided 5.2vDC.  Now, I kept the Lenovo power adapter in my "to go" bag;  When I was at home, I used a B&N Nook power adapter which provided 5.1vDC.

So, the interesting question is, is 5.1vDC enough to run the Stick but not to flash the firmware ???  In the "old days", EPROMS were very tolerant of voltage when reading, but required a precise voltage when writing.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else that had a failure was using a non-Lenovo power adapter?  Since I've completely given up on Lenovo ever finding my Stick that I sent to an obsolete address (in their instructions that they eMailed to me!), I don't mind admitting this, but it would be interesting to know from others with update problems if a similar situation was in use.

tomtips
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,206
Message 32 of 68

As a user you cant recover from a failed bios update on a Lenovo stick unless the update software repairs itself before the failure.  Period.  The stick is bricked, no IO, no bios recovery.

SteveJC1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,186
Message 33 of 68

@jh34 wrote:

For everyone that had a failure with the .exe version of the BIOS update, has anyone then tried the "BIOS Flash with UEFI Tool" version?

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/300-series/300-01iby/downloads/DS1...

It's more involved but might help recover from the failed flash. 

I've tried the UEFI tool - but can't use it because there is no HDMI signal so you can't see what's happening and can't make any input. All that happens is a continuous cycle of the blue LED flashing for a few seconds and the LED on my USB stick flashing for a few seconds - that just keeps on happening endlessly.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,170
Message 34 of 68

@ON Friday, April 22, 2016, DeanGibson wrote:

A second call to Lenovo service (Philippines) got someone that promised to contact the Lenovo service manager, and someone would get back to me.

Update:  Having heard nothing, today I was about to leave a really negative review of Lenovo service practices on another site where the Stick 300 is sold.  However, I thought I would give Lenovo one more chance, so I called them again today.  Surprisingly, a new case was opened for my issue on May 2nd (yesterday).  The Customer Service person gave me a new case # and a service request #, and told me to call back in 24-48 hours (which I will).  So, maybe there is hope.

AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 2,153
Message 35 of 68

UPDATE: I contacted Lenovo for a repair on my stick after this issue (yes, I did use the standard Lenovo PSU and I did follow their instructions to the letter to install the exe version of the update). I got a returns number and sent my device off ~3 weeks ago. It went to a company called Medion in Germany. Medion confirmed recipt mid April and stated they would inform me as my repair progressed. After a couple of weeks waiting, hearing nothing, I clicked the link to check my repair status to see how it was coming along. The Medion web site then helpfully informed me that my return had come in, been assessed, been processed, and then had moved to the disposal phase where 'your product has been disposed of correctly'. Umm, what?

So, I contacted Medion as their site recommends. Medion tells me they cannot assist as I need to contact Lenovo (they might want to remember this when sending out their emails...). Upon contacting Lenovo they seemed confused as to why Medion has disposed of my return and not even let me know that this had happened via email as they said they would, leaving me to wait two weeks. Lenovo are now going to send me a replacement, but I need to wait as someone will need to phone me in the next two days to 'initiate' the process. So basically, if I had waited, I would have waited for ever as Medion's idea of repair is the crusher.

Blimey, you really have to hand-hold Lenovo and their cronies through this stuff. Does their technical support staff training course begin with 'Part 1: The Mains Plug - A Beginners Guide'? Imagine what the people are like who don't make it past the Lenovo interview process...

tomtips
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,133
Message 36 of 68

Dont contact Lenovo.  Send it back to where you bought it and tell them it was DOA.  Lenovo and others bet that you will not care about losing $100.  And they are right, most of the time.  So send it back to the seller and move on.  IMHO.

Amazon refunded my money promptly before they recieved the return.  Lenovo cant even imagine that type of service.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,128
Message 37 of 68

Unfortunately, I bought mine at Best Buy, and they have a two-week return window.  Amazon has a 30-day return window, so I'd told.

In the thread above, an alternative (non-Intel) stick was suggested.  I had seen that option prior to buying the Lenovo stick.  I bought from Lenovo instead because they were an established, well-known company with a reputation (and a relationship with IBM) to protect.  Of course, sometimes a small company protects their reputation even more closely, but it can be a gamble.  At the price of some other sticks (including the Intel one), the Dell 3050 I bought for about the same price, is a MUCH better option, in my opinion.

Because I want BitLocker encryption on my portable devices, I upgraded the Dell to Windows 10 Pro for $99.  A Windows 10 Pro upgrade is forever linked to the specific computer you install it on.  Needless to say, I would be really fuming now if I had done the same on the Lenovo stick.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,125
Message 38 of 68

@AndyCalling wrote:

Blimey, you really have to hand-hold Lenovo and their cronies through this stuff. Does their technical support staff training course begin with 'Part 1: The Mains Plug - A Beginners Guide'? Imagine what the people are like who don't make it past the Lenovo interview process...

You ask way too much.  It's annoying enough to interfere with our personal schedules by having us come to work, now you expect us to do something other than browse the web and play with our smartphones?

AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 2,086
Message 39 of 68

Further Update: Well, Lenovo did not call me by end of Friday as promised to organise a replacement, so I called them before they closed their office for the Weekend. They tell me the back office has been instructed to send out a replacement and to contact me to arrange such, but seemingly (as far as records show) have not progressed it. The support chap has now sent a chasing email and I should hear something from them some time next week though it may now be via email.

We now travel deeper down the rabbit hole. Curiouser and curiouser, she said.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,028
Message 40 of 68

@AndyCalling wrote:

We now travel deeper down the rabbit hole. Curiouser and curiouser, she said.

The question is, where is that rabbit hole?  Is it in Grapevine, TX (the location of the closed Lenovo Service Center), or the one in Louisville, KY?

As I previously said, I mailed mine to the Grapevine rabbit-hole on April 1, and it was received by someone there on April 4.  I just now got off a 20-minute hold with Lenovo customer service, and they told me that the Louisville rabbit-hole received my Stick 300 on April 30.  Further, that I should expect a full replacement in 7-10 working days.  I hope so, because my warranty is up in two weeks, and after that, the Lenovo customer service call-back option will no longer be available to me (since it validates my warranty by device serial # before providing access).

However, supposedly "when" I receive my replacement Stick 300, it will have a brand new warranty.  We shall see.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals