cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 2,305
Message 41 of 68

Re: Is it possible to recovery BIOS on Idea Stick 300?

Good question. I have reached Friday and, surprise surprise, no contact from Lenovo. So I call again and relate the whole tale. This time I am told to contact Medion about it. I point out that, as I just explained, Medion refuse to discuss the matter with customers and require that I contact Lenovo. I am then given a new ID number and told a supervisor will email me.

Problem is, apart from the fact I'm off on my summer hols for 2 weeks in June (so cannot receive or sign for packages at that time) and if a new one needs to be sent, and considering the Windows 8 to 10 free upgrades will end at close of July, if this drags on much longer I'll find it'll cost more than the stick is worth to get W10 on it.

What is wrong with Lenovo? Does anyone know any tricks that I can apply if this supervisor ever contacts me to persuade him to get something done? I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to ask for a refund and swear off Lenovo products from now on.

AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 2,269
Message 42 of 68

UPDATE: No contact from anyone, but the package has arrived! Blimey.

So, I get the same type of stick but with W10 preloaded. Thing is, the stick has the same Kingston drive and the version 7 firmware. So had I decided to swear off updating the firmware (understandable...) I would have ended up with a brick again, once the OS had tried to update. Lenovo really do like to generate returns.

So, I grab the USB stick download of the version 10 firmware because, frankly, the number of brickings from the Windows version is alarming enough to say it's broken. Following the process documented almost works (add a : to the end of the drive identifier to select it, and after flashing make sure to reset firmware to 'optimal' defaults checking Secure Boot is re-enabled) and after tweaking (as specified) works fine.

Now the stick will update to the latest W10 without getting stuck, and no need to turn off write caching. Don't give up, this firmware update is worth having.

jh34
Punch Card
Views: 2,262
Message 43 of 68

Glad to hear you are back in operation.

So you did the "BIOS Flash with UEFI Tool" instructions and not the "BIOS Flash under Windows" instructions. 

I did two firmware updates to mine with no issue using the "BIOS Flash under Windows" .exe file, which I know I was apparently luckier than most have been. 

But I deviated from the "BIOS Flash under Windows" instructions and did not download and run it from a USB flash drive. I ran the .exe right from the WIN10 downloads folder on the Stick 300 C:/ drive after I downloaded it. 

The only thing attached to my USB port was the RF receiever for the keyboard which is not bluetooth. 

AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 2,255
Message 44 of 68

Yea, the Windows flash CAN work, but the risk is not low. I recall a poster earlier confirming a brick with a flash from the internal drive. It is too moody to test it enough to be sure.

Making a stick with the UEFI tool is a simpler and less risky approach.

AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 2,230
Message 45 of 68

Hilariously, I've just got an email from Medion telling me they've now dispatched my device to me and I can track it with the following tracking number (blank). Track it? It's under my telly! Well done with the communication Lenovo/Medion, very impressive.

SteveJC1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,154
Message 46 of 68

I've also had this problem and had returned the Stick to Medion in Germany. I've also got the very odd status message saying "Your product has been disposed of correctly". The Lenovo support site is showing the status for my repair as blank.

I've emailed Lenovo to ask if someone can let me know what is going on.

This really is a very poor way to run a support / repair system and to keep customers informed.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,098
Message 47 of 68

Lenovo update

Today I received the following eMail from Lenovo:

• Thank you for choosing a Lenovo Personal Computer. We received your Lenovo Desktop IC Stick 300-01IBY at the Depot Facility on 5/11/2016. We’d like to apologize that the repair is taking longer than usual due to parts availability. Nonetheless, below is the estimated date on when we will receive the part. As soon as we receive it, it will take additional 7 business days for us to ship back your machine.

The "estimated date on when we will receive the part" is June 20.  Thus, if I receive the Stick back on July 1, that means that Lenovo will have had the Stick for three months.  Still, the fact that Lenovo initiated a communication with me is a good sign.

It has occurred to me that in my letter in the return package, I requested version 10 of the BIOS.  That may account for the above delay.  We can only hope ...

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,028
Message 48 of 68

Re: Lenovo update

@DeanGibson wrote:

... the fact that Lenovo initiated a communication with me is a good sign. ... We can only hope ...

Today I received a shipping tracking # from Lenovo !!!  The "Purchase order number" includes my original Stick serial #, but the "weight 6 lbs" and apparently the box size of "8.00x15.00x18.00 in" confuses me ...

Either the weight and size are canned values, or I am getting a LOT of Lenovo Sticks ... Maybe I get to perform a number of BIOS updates until one works ...

SteveJC1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,014
Message 49 of 68

I finally got my replacement Stick from Lenovo on 6 June - practically a full month after I posted the broken one back to them. Very slow!

It just turned up - there had been no notification that it had been posted.

Communication from Lenovo / Medion was very poor.

I'm sorry to say the experience has taught me to avoid Lenovo products in future.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 1,970
Message 50 of 68

Re: Lenovo update

@DeanGibson wrote:

... Either the weight and size are canned values, or I am getting a LOT of Lenovo Sticks ...

Only one, and the box was much smaller and lighter than the FedEx waybill.  The Stick has a different serial number.  It was manufactured a week after my original Stick, so it includes the old version 8 BIOS (which I do NOT intend to upgrade!).  The new one did not include another power supply.  That's OK;  I kept the original one.

The new Stick came in a slightly different retail box, perhaps intended for international release:  The old part number was 92F0000US;  the new one is 92F0001UK.  The serial number of the new one is not recognized by the Lenovo web site, and thus there is apparently no warranty.  Sigh ... @SteveJC1is correct;  there is no reason to buy any further Lenovo products or recommend them, until better support procedures are established.

It came with Windows 10 x86 Home installed, but it was the version from last summer (like the original Stick did).  The update to the November 2015 Windows 10 release took forever and seemed to have problems (maybe from me being impatient).  So, after Windows 10 was "activated", I did a clean install of Windows 10 x86 Home, which was much quicker than the update.  There were some devices flagged in Device Manager, but an "Update Driver Software" (Windows did the search for drivers) fixed that.

That just left the HDMI device with no audio, so I downloaded and installed the "Intel Driver Update Utility Installer" (from Intel's site), and that installed a current video driver and restored audio.   Installed Office 365 and still have 16GB free.  Further, the Stick is considered by Microsoft to be a "tablet", so it counts against the tablet limit of Office 365, not the PC/Mac limit.

The "GFX_Win8.1_10_32_15.33.42.4358.zip" file described in another thread can also work, but it is for the Intel Compute Stick, and requires some messing around to get installed properly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals