cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,713
Message 61 of 68

Re: Is it possible to recovery BIOS on Idea Stick 300?

@ilievdimitar wrote:

no have boot windows 7 in stick install windows 8.1

include usb instalatin windows 7 no indication pls help my

To boot from other than the installed OS, you will have to turn off "Secure Boot" in the BIOS.

ilievdimitar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,704
Message 62 of 68

i disable Secure boot no have efect

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 2,701
Message 63 of 68

You need to have the USB memory stick already inserted, before you reboot the Stick, but you probably did that.  Also, since you have both a USB keyboard and the bootable USB memory stick connected, that means you are using a USB hub.  Make sure you use a powered USB hub.

Also, the Stick will not boot a USB memory stick that is formatted for NTFS.  It must be FAT or FAT32.

I don't remember exactly the steps I did after I disabled Secure Boot, in order to get a USB memory stick to boot.  Search around in the BIOS settings.  You may (I don't remember) have to enable "Legacy Boot" or something like that.

ludawg
Paper Tape
Views: 2,668
Message 64 of 68

Did not work at all the problem is the machine doesn't start. I just see the blinking light. I've escelated it with Lenovo services to se what will be done otherwise I will never again buy their products and will **bleep** make sure that no one else buys from them and or knows of the issues I have had the with the stick.

markdalpiaz
What's DOS?
Views: 2,423
Message 65 of 68

After zero success with Lenovo customer service, I've lodged a complaint with the BBB. I would suggest you do as well. It is not acceptable fo rtheir update to damage one of their items, period.
Mike__K
Paper Tape
Views: 1,327
Message 66 of 68

I'm in the same situation with my Lenovo Stick, but I'm out of the warranty period.

It was working until I noticed there was a BIOS update available here on the Lenovo site. I followed the procedure to update the BIOS from within Windows but it appears that failed and now I just get the power light cycling on/off about every 10 seconds. Nothing comes up on the TV screen at all. Tried all options available to try to get into the BIOS anyway, but no luck.

It is unacceptable that Lenovo is offering a BIOS update and when you follow the procedure it bricks your device! DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE THE BIOS FROM WITHIN WINDOWS (despite the fact that Lenovo documents this as an option)!

Lenovo, you need to make this right!!

fifcic
What's DOS?
Views: 1,115
Message 67 of 68

I know this is an old thread but I want to provide some information that will enable this issue to be put to rest.

I, like others bricked my Stick when updating the bios to O27KT10A. I used the UEFI shell method and it still crashed. I remember glancing at the error message and it was the spi flash write error. After that brick. the stick will not boot.

I have the equipement to flash in circuit the 25Q spi flash chip so I removed the inside headers from the Bin using extractor and checked the bios file using the inside tools and it all checked out. I got an FD size of 4.7MB (the file is 4.78MB). close enough.

I proceeded to open the stick to gain acces to the spi flash chip and I checked the type. It is a winbond 25Q16DWSIG. At that point I realised what had happened. the chip is only a 2MB chip. There is no way a 4.7MB bios will fit in there ! this is an odd chip the D means that it can output 2 bits in parallel for fast read. Something not used by the Intel Atom. normally on all the Atom devices from China you find 8MB devices like the INTEL stick which has a 25Q64FWSIG. 

I think somebody scammed somebody. I wonder if the Chinese manufacturer just put 2MB chips because thats all he got at the time and the original bios could fit and he did not care if it died later. 

Anyway the result is that if you got a stick with that spi chip, it is dead. It will never be able to load that BIOS. Just for the fun of it I will remove the current SPI chip and get an 8MB one. program the BIOS and solder the new chip. I will see if that revive the stick.

I hope this is usefull to others.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 1,106
Message 68 of 68

My first Stick had part number 90F20000US & it bricked on attempting to flash the BIOS.  When it was replaced under warranty, I received one with part number 90F20001UK.  Since I wanted to flash the BIOS in that one before it ran out of warranty, I did so & was successful.

I then upgraded the pre-installed Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro, enabled BitLocker (encryption) & the stick has been working fine running 24/7 ever since.

So, people should check their part number before attempting to flash the BIOS.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals