Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKondro
Blue Screen Again
Views: 848
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo 3000 J205 9686-A12 CMOS settings error

I'm having difficulty correcting a CMOS settings error and PXE boot error.

The computer in question is a Lenovo 3000 J205 9686-A12 running Windows 10 (64 bit). Note: the CMOS settings error and PXE boot error were occuring before Windows 10 was installed.

If the computer is shutdown, the CMOS settings error occurs during the next start-up sequence. What I've found is that when this occurs I also get a PXE boot error. What happens is the boot sequences reset (or returns to default) after a shut down. So I set my date and time, and I set my boot sequence. Then the computer starts up fine.

I don't have this concern when the computer is restarted. The CMOS settings seem to remain intact as well as the boot sequence following a restart.

The CMOS settings error and PXE boot error only occur after a complete shutdown; more problems occur when the computer is put to sleep and re-awoken.

I've replaced the Motherboard's battery, and I've moved the CMOS jumper to perform a reset. I've also downloaded the Lenovo update; however, after running the update application, no updates for the computer are found.

What do I need to do to address my computers concerns?

JKondro
Blue Screen Again
Views: 621
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo 3000 J205 9686-A12 CMOS settings error (Solved)

I've been battling this concern for a while now; and I ended up taking my discussing to a University subReddit. I copied and pasted my Lenovo Forum post from here to a post in that partculiar subreddit.

Now, the replies I received didn't directly aid me in solving my computer's problem. However, one comment thread caused me to start thinking (and looking) at my problem differently.

Here's how I fixed my computer: I'm only using an Optical Drive and a HDD in my desktop, but I begin thinking about how the signal and power cables were routed to my two drives. There are four signal (SATA I think?) connections and four power connections. I disconnected and moved the HDD signal to SATA port 1 and the Optical to SATA port 2 on the motherboard. Next it appeared one power supply connection was "pulled" or "stretched" to connect to the back of my HDD; it didn't look correct. So I routed the power supply harness connections so that it appeared to "look" well fitted (if that makes sense). Afterwards I reset my BIOS again; and then I set all my settings and boot order. Since then, my computer will shutdown and boot up correctly.

With all that said, however, my computer still won't wake-up after being put to sleep. But I realized I was tackling two different computer problems. I was treating them like symptoms of a single concern. So I still have some work to do, but I'll pursue that problem later.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals