Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan24x
Paper Tape
Views: 1,719
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300-01IBY randomly shutting down

I have this old 300-01IBY Stick from Lenovo I bought a few years ago... I am using the adapter that came with it (2A) yet it seems to be randomly shutting off in the middle of playing a video mostly if it's high def YouTube or anything very graphical Kodi for example movies it will shut down. It is connected to my 50 inch television. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it just not powerful enough to handle those sorts of tasks? I really don't think it's down to the adapter or cable since I am using the provided one that came with it.

Also it's currently running Windows 10.

maxresdefault.jpg

EDIT: I resolved the issue by plugging into my 2.5A external battery! Seriously? The product is labelled on the back as requiring 2A but it needs more!

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 1,648
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300-01IBY randomly shutting down

Do you have a USB hub connected to the Stick?  The current draw of devices attached to a four-port USB hub can easily be 2A alone.

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 1,603
Message 3 of 7

Hi dan24x, 

That's interesting, I saw post just like this on intel's forums. The system would shut off every time the they would play a video in full screen. I wonder is this is a case where the processor is using up to much power or if its the adapters not able to supply the needed power. Have you tested the original adapter if its still able to provide the 2A? I just hope the 2.5A battery does not damage the stick. 

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
pmcd
Punch Card
Views: 1,091
Message 4 of 7

Mine works fine for what you are describing but it took fiddling with various drivers to get it to work. I really like the idea of using the external battery. Could you use a different cable and get it to work or is that short Lenovo cable required?
pmcd
Punch Card
Views: 1,036
Message 5 of 7

I am able to now use my Lenovo 300 Stick from a power bank which can supply 2.1 amps. Don’t know why this would hurt anything, even at a higher amp, as the unit should be drawing the current it needs not the capability of the power bank. I also use a longer Anker power charging cable and that works great.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 1,030
Message 6 of 7

The amperage rating of a power supply or battery is irrelevant, so long as it can deliver what the stick needs (apparently 2.1A), plus whatever any attached USB devices (eg, keyboard & mouse) need.

pmcd
Punch Card
Views: 1,026
Message 7 of 7

The unit works fine with my battery as well as an iPad charger. It also works of course with the 10 watt 5v power supply/transformer from Lenovo. It doesn’t work with other 10 watt, 2v power supplies that I have tried. It eventually freezes... Maybe it has to maintain 2 amps and can’t deal with borderline drops in voltage. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals