Paper Tape
Views: 1,397
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo ideacentre Stick 300 crash

Hello
I write here because I can not contact support by email
, i have never confirmation

My problème :

After the 1511 windows 10 upgrade, the stick does not start correctly.

I have only a black screen (after Lenovo screen) or the troubleshooting screen.

I cant restore or reset the system (error) or

restore my W8.1 system image backup: w10 tells me that he does not format hdd on which troubleshooting software is running & I must boot from an ext hdd.

Problem: I can not boot from a USB drive or usb cdrom

What is the procedure to boot on usb? I only have the choice of booting from the internal disk. I have found nothing in the bios (Bios O27KT07A).

Thank you for your help

Sorry for my english i am french.

AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 1,379
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo ideacentre Stick 300 crash

https://communities.intel.com/thread/93643

Read the whole thread, and you'll understand what's happening. Turning off write cache for the internal SSD is the key.

You can boot from a USB stick formatted with the pre-autumn update build W10 install package from Microsoft. The link to MS's original download page is still live, I found it through searching I seem to remember. Some sticks work, some do not. This is true of all PCs due to weird spec changes that happened. If the install program detects the stick, it will work.

After installing, turn off write cache to the SSD before updating to the latest version of Windows 10. Problem solved. Do NOT turn write cache back on for the SSD or your system will become unstable.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 1,346
Message 3 of 5

Note that in that thread, the "SSD" in question was made by Kingston. In the case of my Lenovo 300 it's made by SanDisk.

I don't know if that's a factor in the issues in that thread (since it's mentioned several times there), but I thought it worth mentioning here.

At any rate, my Lenovo 300 came with Win 10 installed, and write caching enabled. I let it do the major WIn 10 update, and had no issues.
AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 1,328
Message 4 of 5

My Lenovo however, has that exact same Kingston SSD. Perhaps they are using another one now? Unless you were looking at the SD card by mistake (which I doubt as that would be a heck of a blooper), they must be.

Most sticks where people are trying to install W10 will likely be older builds (W8, like the OP) so the thread I linked to is still very handy.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 1,318
Message 5 of 5

@AndyCalling wrote:

.... Most sticks where people are trying to install W10 will likely be older builds (W8, like the OP) so the thread I linked to is still very handy.

Agreed!  Yes, I wondered about my SanDisk microSD card , so I powered off, pulled it out, and rebooted to be sure.

They're both SanDisks, but the removable microSD card is reported as generic.  Also, you can populate the "Volume" list in "Properties" and see the driver letter assignment.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals