cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonhockeyguy
Punch Card
Views: 2,001
Message 1 of 6

Want to order a recover disk for 3000 j200 9690 84u but its intimidating the support site.

Trying to find my way around Lenovo Support but I cannot find where to order a recovery dvd for my unit. Can anyone guide me in the right direction. And is there a fee if I am under warranty to obtain this software?
Proud supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club
Mak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,992
Message 2 of 6

Re: Want to order a recover disk for 3000 j200 9690 84u but its intimidating the support site.

Hi, When I ordered on Dec. 2007 the Recovery Disk for my Lenovo 3000 J115 desktop had to call 1-800-426-7378. Don’t remember the prompts, but found a rep that transferred me to what appeared to be the right department. May want to make sure you specify that it is for a Desktop or you’ll get bounced around to other departments, like I did. I gave the 1st rep all my info including model #, name, address, serial code, etc…, to place order, then at the end he asked if it was laptop and I said no and he had to transfer me to the desktop department & I had to start all over with the order.  Would like to have been able to order it online, but that option did not appear to be available. It was out of warranty when I purchased it so it cost around $60 with shipping.

Now on a related note, my chance to vent about the 1st time I tried to order the recovery disk. 1st a little background info. Purchased my Lenovo 3000 J115 Nov. 2006. It was installed with Windows XP and had a voucher to purchase Vista upgrade, when Vista was released, which I did. Vista arrived around Feb. 2007, & I promptly installed it. So far so good. March 2007 purchased music equipment specifically Digidesign hardware with Pro Tools software to use with my new Lenovo computer.  I know comp. may not be built for that, but I’m just getting into music software editing. Unfortunately Pro Tools software was not compatible with Vista, no problem I thought, I’ll just Call Lenovo & order recovery disk with the original operating system which was Windows XP.  Here’s where the fun begins (sarcasm).  March 2007 I call Lenovo to order recovery disk. I called a 1-800 # I found online, at that time there was no clear way to find the # to order disk & it’s a different number than the one I’ve provided at the top. I was transferred multiple times having to explain to each rep that I wanted to order a recovery disk, only to be told I have the wrong department & get transferred to yet another dept. Finally was transferred to a rep who appeared to be able to help me. I explained to him I wanted to buy recovery disk to DOWNGRADE back to my original pre-installed operating system Windows XP because I have purchased software that is not compatible with Vista.  At first rep said he would be glad to help me with that, and then asked to put me on hold to check with his Supervisor. Well when he came back he told me I could not order recovery disk to downgrade, because downgrading was discouraged or not allowed. So I said OK no problem then I don’t want to downgrade, I just want to purchase recovery disk. He asked me why & I told him to reinstall operating system to original specs. He told me no, that I cannot purchase recovery disk. I told him once more that I would like to simply purchase the recovery disk and he said no then proceeded hang up on me.  Well I guess I used the magic words DOWNGRADE, when Vista was first released and many people were requesting downgrades because many software co’s. had not yet converted to Vista or were experiencing problems with it.  Needless to say I was discouraged with Lenovo Customer Care and didn’t want to experience that anguish again that I just continued to use Vista and was not able to use my music equipment with my Lenovo comp. I ended up ordering the recovery disk Dec. 2007, this time without the hassle. I’ve decided to purchase an Apple Mac for the music equip. and only use the Lenovo 3000 J115 for basic computing such as web surfing, emailing & word processing.

Sorry for the long post & thanks for reminding me about the recovery disk, I had to share this bad experience with others who may have experienced similar issues. I consider myself an ideal customer, I rarely contact customer service, most problems I try to research & figure out or find answers to on forums, but I was very disappointed with Lenovo Customer Care after the experience of trying to simply purchase a recovery disk. I’ve worked customer service in the past and understand it’s a horrible job, & many customers’ make outrages requests, so I try to make it easy on reps. by 1st doing a little research & then asking realistic questions, but some reps are just plain idiots who don’t try to help customers, they only try to get you off the phone.   

Good luck purchasing your recovery disk!

Mak   

jasonhockeyguy
Punch Card
Views: 1,958
Message 3 of 6

Re: Want to order a recover disk for 3000 j200 9690 84u but its intimidating the support site.

I tried to call them but I kept getting disconnected.
Former Employee
Views: 1,927
Message 4 of 6

You can view the list 3000 product family support numbers here. I got to that page by going to the standard support page, choosing "Contact support," and navigating through the product choices. They should be able to get you a set of recovery discs!
-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
Lenovo Blogs
X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse
jasonhockeyguy
Punch Card
Views: 1,847
Message 5 of 6

Tim, I am on the phone with Lenovo Support, and the guy sounds reluctant to send me out a set of Recovery Discs. I told him I do not have a burner on my system and he mumbles a thought saying to get an external burner, and then puts me on hold. Im currently on hold right now, and will let you know how it goes. I cannot afford a burner right now.
jasonhockeyguy
Punch Card
Views: 1,844
Message 6 of 6

Never mind! He sent em! Yay!