Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malawton
What's DOS?
Views: 2,102
Message 1 of 3

Windows 10 Clean Install

Hi

I have tried to install Windows 10 as a clan install from USB Stick to the Ideacentre 300.

Everything seems fine until the point where Windows says "getting devices ready" at which point the PC powers off and when I restart, it tell me that the installation was interuppted and will not work.

has anyone managed to clean install Win10?

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 1,940
Message 2 of 3

Re: Windows 10 Clean Install

Did you try the Win 10 32-bit or 64-bit install?  I was concerned about the idea that the x64 install might take more RAM, but my Surface 3 seems fine with the same amount of RAM.  However, I have not yet tried either install.

DeanGibson
Token Ring
Views: 1,748
Message 3 of 3

Re: Windows 10 Clean Install

@malawton wrote:

I have tried to install Windows 10 as a clean install from USB Stick to the Ideacentre 300.

Everything seems fine until the point where Windows says "getting devices ready" at which point the PC powers off and when I restart, it tell me that the installation was interuppted and will not work.

Has anyone managed to clean install Win10?

Actually, I tried using the built-in Windows 10 recovery last week, and it hung at the same point (29% in).  Note that an earlier recovery two months ago worked just fine.

So, this time I tried a clean x86 install using a (generic) Windows 10 USB stick, and that went fine (and was fast!), with the following caveats:

WiFi worked, and I was able to successfully download and update drivers for all the yellow-flagged devices shown in Device Manager.  However, the display adapter (shown as "Microsoft Generic" or some such) had no yellow flag, and attempts to update the video driver simply resulted in "you already have the correct driver".  Now, the HDMI 1920x1080 display worked fine, so what was the problem?

No audio (eg, from the HDTV through the HDMI port), and the only choices in the audio menu were pre-installed "speaker" drivers.  Installing the Lenovo "System Interface Foundation" (SIFv1.0.51.2.exe) did not help.  Before tracking this problem down further, I decided at this point to upgrade the BIOS, and a separate thread here describes the result of that attempt.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals