Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

198 Posts

12-11-2009

United States of America

441 Signins

6046 Page Views

• Views: 6046
  • Message 1 of 1

500 GB Seagate Momentus HDD installed in Lenovo 3000 N200

2010-06-04, 22:24 PM

I was running out of space on my existing 250 GB Hitachi HDD & decided to upgrade.  Newegg had a sale on the Seagate drives last week.  These run at 7200 rpm as opposed to the stock OEM HDD's which run at 5400 rpm.

I have also purchased an Expresscard with 2 eSATA ports, to allow me to connect external SATA HDD's directly to the Lenovo at the fastest available speed.  It looks like this: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0251679

I also purchased a eSATA to 2.5" HDD enclosure which looks like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=2.5%22+eSATA+hard+drive+enclosure&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&cid=209742799026376730#

This geat enables me to clone the existing HDD to the new HDD without opening the Lenovo up until the clone has been created.

Seagate provides DiscWizard, its own version of Acronis TrueImage which can be downloaded from its website.  The program can be installed under windows, burned to a bootable CD-R, or installed to a bootable USB Flash drive.

It's available here: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

I recommend creating a bootable CD instead of the other alternatives. 

I installed my new drive into the the external HDD enclosure.  I shut the laptop down, then installed the Expresscard adapter and all of its necessary USB/power and eSATA cables.   I put the DiscWizard CD into the optical drive & turned on the Lenovo.  I had already set up its BIOS to boot from the optical drive before the HDD.  The DiscWizard splash screen gave me the option of booting Windows from the internal HDD or running DiscWizard.  I ran DiscWizard .   It recognized both my internal and external HDDs without a problem.

DiscWizard provided some misleading choices, the one to choose for this procedure is "Cloning"  Click that, go through the menu to copy the contents of the internal HDD to the external HDD.  Be careful here, otherwise it is possible to essentially destroy your internal data if you reverse source & destination drives.  There are other choices as to how the extra space on the new HDD will be utilized.  I had DiscWizard copy both the regular Windows partiion and the SERVICEV001  partition to the new HDD.  The SERVICEV001 is the hidden Lenovo restoration partition.

Another screen then opens with a display of progress as all the data from the old HDD is transferred to the new HDD.

This took about 2 hours.  The screen then indicated successful completion.

At this point I turned the system off & disconnected the external eSATA drive.  It is possible to reboot into Windows without disconnecting the external, but Windows will immediately have problems because it will see two nearly identical HDD's on its system.    Just don't do it.

Then the old HDD can be removed and the new HDD can be installed into the Lenovo.    At this point the Lenovo can be booted with the new HDD in place.  WIndows will start normally, except it will display a message saying that new hardware has been detected (the new HDD) and advise a reboot.   After the next reboot, the new HDD should be running normally with noticeably faster disc accesses.

A very similar operation can be performed with the DiscWizard CD, the ExpressCard SATA adapter and an external SATA drive to back up the image of the new HDD to another HDD, taking about 2 hours.  Now I have no excuse for not making regular backups.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms