Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

198 Posts

12-11-2009

United States of America

441 Signins

6046 Page Views

• Views: 6046
  • Message 1 of 4

Creation of Recovery Media failed

2013-05-28, 4:54 AM

I just got an Ideapad N580 a few days ago & have been getting familiar with it.  

I just updated the OKR utility to the latest version as of tonight.   Then I attempted to create Recovery Media for the first time, according to: 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT076024

I bought a new 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive and intended to use that for the media, according to the instructions.

I captured the screen shots of progress toward creating the media.  See this PDF.

The last page shows that the flash drive was named RECOVERY and has about 18 GB of information on it.

I did not delete the original source partition on the original HDD.

My new recovery media didn't work.   I put a non-Win8 drive into my N580 (one that could not boot, although otherwise it was OK), and the RECOVERY drive into a USB 3.0 slot on the N580.

I got the LENOVO splash screen and flashing of the access LED on the flash drive, then the screen blanked and the cycle repeated endlessly.  Sometimes there was a rapid cycling of the splash screen and sometimes it froze up.

Apparently I had only one chance to create successful recovery media.  Now where do I turn?

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Creation of Recovery Media failed

2013-05-28, 16:27 PM

hi tresho,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Can you try to:

1. Restart the PC and repeatedly tap F2 on startup to boot into the BIOS

2. In the BIOS, navigate to the Boot Tab and set UEFI Boot to Disabled.

3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS and repeatedly tap F12 to display the Boot Options

4. On the Boot Options, check if you see USB HDD / USB Key, and press Enter to boot from the flashdrive

Your USB recovery drive should now boot.

Let me know your findings

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-05-28, 16:27 PM

hi tresho,

Can you try to:

1. Restart the PC and repeatedly tap F2 on startup to boot into the BIOS

2. In the BIOS, navigate to the Boot Tab and set UEFI Boot to Disabled.

3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS and repeatedly tap F12 to display the Boot Options

4. On the Boot Options, check if you see USB HDD / USB Key, and press Enter to boot from the flashdrive

Your USB recovery drive should now boot.

Let me know your findings

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

198 Posts

12-11-2009

United States of America

441 Signins

6046 Page Views

• Views: 6046
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-05-29, 17:00 PM

Thanks for your post.  I have not had time to test it.   I originally attempted to create the USB boot disc since at the time I didn't know how to create a Win8 system recovery boot DVD.   Since then I learnedto make one, and now am able to boot an otherwise nonbootable Win8 cloned HDD using the DVD.

I will test your suggestion at my first opportunity & will post results here.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms