Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 11 of 79

Re: LAPTOP SHUTS DOWN ABRUPTLY

2008-08-08, 15:52 PM

sounds like your problems all have to do with CPU overheating. As system shutdown only occurs under heavy CPU loads, it would be nice if you people can obtain the CPU temperature when the CPU load is 100%. Also what is the ambinent temperature that you people is using your laptop under????

If your laptop is overheating then the abrupt shutoff events is natural, one possible cause of your overheating is the heat sink on your CPU is clogged with dusts, which builds up overtime and decreases heat dissipation efficiency. So cleaning it should be your first step, the easiest way is to get a can of compressed air and blow it into the heat vents and see whether it dislodges any dust.

Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 12 of 79

2008-08-08, 15:53 PM
While, high CPU usage can be due to a virus problem.
Options

6 Posts

03-06-2008

france

14 Signins

240 Page Views

• Views: 240
  • Message 13 of 79

2008-08-11, 13:55 PM

Hi all,

I'm experiencing the same problem here. We have about 100 lenovo 3000 v200 (6 months old) deployed in the company. 3 of them suffer from random shutdowns.

The OS is XP SP3 with the latest drivers & bios. All laptops have an antivirus software installed & are behind a firewall.

Most of the time, the laptops are running on AC, sometimes on DC & the random shutdowns still occur. We swapped batteries but no luck there. We run the laptops on AC only without battery, same result.

We tried all bios available (from 65et41ww to 65et59ww) => nada

Of the 3 laptops with random shutdowns issues, we had 2 motherboards replaced. So far, it solved the problem for only 1 user. For the second user, the problem remains (his hard drive is also new).

It's not a heat related problem. I've been monitoring temperature (speedfan) all day long (even under heavy CPU load). Shutdowns occurs even when the laptop is idle (IE7 opened with few tabs,outlook, excel, word, nothing funky really). Dust related problem seems unlikely as the motherboard is new. Heatsink problem is unlikely since i saw the technician replacing the motherboard, applied properly some thermal paste.

Aside from throwing the laptops out of the window and buying a mechanical typewriter, any help would be appreciated

Options

1 Posts

10-05-2008

SF, CA

3 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 14 of 79

2008-10-05, 2:53 AM

I just started having the same problem.  I usually leave my laptop on with my e-mail open, all the other browser windows closed, with nothing else except my antivirus, disk defrag, etc running. 

Over the last week, the computer is off when I go to check email in the morning, and today, it turned off while I was using it.

I don't think it is a heat effect, because it doesn't feel like there is an excess amount of heat coming from the unit, (actually kind of cool).  I did flush out the cooling fins with compressed air tonight, but they looked pretty clean.

Does anyone know of any fixes besides bringing it into the depot and having the mother board replaced?

I've had it for a year and a half, and don't think it's still under warranty... (or would this problem be covered under a warranty.)

Thanks,

Options

2 Posts

10-17-2008

California, USA

7 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 15 of 79

2008-10-18, 0:03 AM

I am having the same problem, but I don't think it has to do with overheating.

I have the 3000 N100 running XP Pro with 1gb RAM, 120gb HD. I installed some software to monitor the temp and it is running between 48-51c with a CPU clock of 798 MHz and a load of less than 10%, the HD temp is 42c and it shuts off without any warning. It can run for 1/2 an hour when it first starts and after that it shuts down within five minutes.

I have dusted off the fan, opened the areas of the vents and blown it all down.  

Options

143 Posts

01-20-2008

Malaysia

154 Signins

1660 Page Views

• Views: 1660
  • Message 16 of 79

2008-10-18, 0:53 AM

Hai, 

Are you meaning, instant OFF your laptop ? or

windows shutting down the laptop ? 

Nicholas K.H.Chai
Malaysia
YM: ckhown
Options

2 Posts

10-17-2008

California, USA

7 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 17 of 79

2008-10-18, 0:58 AM
I mean "Instant Off", no notice, no shut down. I can be in the middle of writing an email and then nothing. I reboot it, starts normally then within five minutes it happens again.
Options

143 Posts

01-20-2008

Malaysia

154 Signins

1660 Page Views

• Views: 1660
  • Message 18 of 79

2008-10-18, 1:14 AM

Hai,

I suspect your system overheat and system selfprotect and shut off.

Please verify your ventilation of cpu is clear means no block by dust on cooling system which is headsink and fan is clean.

You may refer to our administrator posted previously on how to removing the cases in order to clean the fan and heat sink. http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&thread.id=858 

Please choice your model under Remove/Replace he will guide u how to open and u will see your cooling fan / headsink, u just be carefull and clean it up.

you may find a free software software for example core2temp or speed fan in order u monitor system temperature.

After you done it, u may try, it's ok or not,

Nicholas K.H.Chai
Malaysia
YM: ckhown
Options

5 Posts

10-18-2008

Alaska, USA

30 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 19 of 79

2008-10-18, 12:08 PM

Hello all,

My computer is a 3000 N100 purchased new at a large national office supply chain in November 2006 with the standard 1 year warranty, running Windows XP Service Pack 2. I'm having the same basic problem as the other posters, the computer will shut down at random. Just started doing it 2 days ago, and it's getting worse by the minute. Could be still booting up and will shut down, or can run for up to 30 minutes but will eventually just go dead with no warning. It will do its shut down in standby mode or hibernation mode also so CPU draw is not a factor. If it's on and the power plug is pulled it will shut right down. It won't run at all on battery. The battery meter says it's at 95% power. It hasn't run on battery for several months which is annoying but liveable for the way I use it, however this shutting down out of the blue is a new development. It is not a heating problem, fan works fine and the computer does not get hot. I have 3 power cords, I've tested with all of them and I find it hard to believe all 3 are no good.

From what I read this is resulting from an ac adaptor, or a battery, or overheating, or a mother board problem. Did I miss any? Does anyone have an answer? Seems like Lenovo (why aren't you more involved?) or some savvy computer fella (or gal) would have more answers than I see here. I wonder if the poster who said he went to a 90W adaptor from the stock 65W has the answer (sounds plausible to me) or if there are problems that will develop from using the extra wattage? Or is it a battery problem that is tied into the power management system? Maybe Mark (hi Mark), who seems to have helped quite a few folks can explain this power management system a bit. Does the computer have a system that requires both power sources?

I'm hoping it's just an adaptor or a battery. If it's more than that- then I wonder if I should try to fix this, or buy another laptop. If another laptop I wonder what brand it will... or will not be? Anyone with any help thank you it is appreciated, and Lenovo if you're paying any attention (you should be) have you got anything for YOUR customers?!

Trying to keep a good thought!

P.S. Anyone else see that the spell checker does not recognize the word Lenovo, how funny.

Message Edited by brokenlenovo on 10-18-2008 06:12 AM
Options

1 Posts

10-21-2008

Oklahoma, USA

2 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 20 of 79

2008-10-21, 3:04 AM

I am also having a problem with my Lenovo 3000N100. It started shuting off abruptly almost immediately after start up a few days ago. The power management said the battery was at 86% but it would not start at all on battery power. I thought it might be the AC adapter or power cord and replaced that, no luck. Tonight I took out the battery and then plugged the AC power and turned it on. It is staying on now, but don't know for how long. No warrenty, so have not tried tech support. I did check and my battery was not one of the recalls.

Surely, with all of the problems so many people are having someone out there has a solution. I'm not sure I want to spend $200 on a replacement battery if this is not going to fix the problem.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms