Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

10-23-2008

USA

142 Signins

388 Page Views

• Views: 388
  • Message 21 of 79

Re: LAPTOP SHUTS DOWN ABRUPTLY

2008-10-24, 22:47 PM

Hello, I'm also experiencing the exact same issue with a Lenovo 300 n100 (it's not mine - it belongs to my boss).

Random shut downs + no signs of overheating. I've run all the included diagnostics as well as MemTest86 & SpeedFan, with no indications of what on Earth is going on.

I've started my own thread, but I wanted to add my name to the ever-growing list of people with this problem.

Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2214
  • Message 22 of 79

2008-10-24, 23:34 PM

Hi there,

I would please like to ask all of you three questions;

1. Is there anyone experiencing this problem on a machine except the N100?

2. Is there anyone experiencing this problem on a machine running any other operating system other than Windows XP?

3. When the shutdown occurs, does anyone receive a quick STOP ERROR (blue screen with white text) right before restarting?

Cheers,

Mario

Options

8 Posts

10-23-2008

USA

142 Signins

388 Page Views

• Message 23 of 79

2008-10-25, 0:26 AM

See my post here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&thread.id=7746

This machine is a Lenovo 3000 n100 0768 running Windows XP.  No BSOD, just an instant shut off, as though the power had been cut.

Options

1 Posts

10-21-2008

Montgomery, AL

14 Signins

113 Page Views

• Views: 113
  • Message 24 of 79

2008-10-25, 4:49 AM

Hi BrokenLenovo,

For your problem specifically due to the description you give for the system dying when you unplug the AC adapter. I suggest checking the Forum Threads related to 3000 N100 battery will not charge or discharge.

Contact Lenovo Support and reference document MIGR-69671. This is a Lenovo Document outling this type problem and the program for resolving it if you are within the first 18 months of warranty. The original warranty being 12 months and Lenovo per this document extends coverage for the battery for an extra 6 months for the affected part numbers listed in the document with the correct serial numbers that support has access to for varification.

Mark_Lenovo has been very helpful in listing the links in the above mentioned threads.

I am new to the Forum but this was the solution to my problem.

Thanks,
CStabler
Lenovo 3000 N100 0768-DLU

Message Edited by CSTABLER on 10-24-2008 09:51 PM
Options

1 Posts

10-28-2008

UK

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 25 of 79

2008-10-28, 15:17 PM

Well, would like to add my name as the latest person to need a solution to this problem, do not need to say much as I have the same symptons on a Lenovo 3000 N100 1Gb with XP.

Just started happening and is extremely annoying..

Come on Lenovo, some ideas would be useful!

Thanks

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 26 of 79

2008-10-28, 17:13 PM

All,

My observation is that there are multiple systems being discussed in the thread and causes of shutdown probably vary.  I would suggest that when starting new threads that we include the system model in the title - like "Lenovo 3000 V200 shuts down abruptly", or "Lenovo 3000 N100 randomly shuts off"

To make progress on this thread, we may need to split it up.

That said...

Dust buildup can lead to thermal issues - blowing out the fan area with a can of compressed air can help for heat issues.  I know thermals have been rulled out by some in the discussion, and that is certainly fair - I'm just suggesting that it's worth checking on units that have been in service for a while.

On the Lenovo 3000 N100 systems - these units don't seem to run well for long periods of time with a dead battery or the battery removed.  Without a good battery in circuit, iregularities in input power, as well as peaks in demand may cause symptoms, including in some cases , shut downs.

It may also be worth checking the battery condition on all units being discussed on this thread, ensure they will run off battery with AC removed.

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 10-28-2008 10:14 AM
Options

8 Posts

10-23-2008

USA

142 Signins

388 Page Views

• Message 27 of 79

2008-11-01, 2:08 AM

Hello.  Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I've been working on multiple computers - October seems to be Hard Drive Failure Month.

Anyway, in response to the various suggestions about possible causes:

I don't want to repeat everything that I've already written, other than to say that dust and/or overheating are definitely NOT the issue with this particular machine.  The vents were blown out with compressed air before I began working on it and, in general, it's a well-maintained machine. 

After I replaced the hard drive, re-installed and updated Windows, I left the machine switched off & plugged in to an outlet overnight (with the non-recalled battery inserted). The next day I switched the laptop on and watched it switch itself off almost immediately after the Windows loading screen appeared. I had already turned off the automatic-restart-after-failure, but there was no BSOD, just an instant-off.

It made a faint but audible click, much like the noise you'd hear if there were a power blackout. It sounded very much like the power had been cut suddenly, and I actually found myself looking around my apartment to make sure that we hadn't had a blackout.

After reading a few more posts in this forum, I re-checked the battery lights and realized that they are turning off a few moments after plugging the machine in.  I was plugging it in & looking to see if they lit, then not paying attention to whether they stayed lit.Again, this is a non-recalled replacement battery that the laptop's owner bought about a year ago. It doesn't show any outward signs of damage & none of the contacts on it or the laptop appear to be broken or corroded.

I decided to begin disassembling the machine to see if there were any obvious signs of battery leakage, capacitor discharge, etc. When I got to the compartment containing the small fan & copper heat sink I noticed first that the metal shielding on the plastic compartment cover was rusty. Then, I realized that the copper rod itself was heavily corroded along the outer edge - right below the vent. I don't want to risk further damage by switching the laptop on again, but I'm assuming that the vent has been drawing moist air across the heat sink, causing the corrosion. However, I don't want to make any assumptions about the extent of the damage caused by rust and/or corrosion.

So, my questions are:

1. Could corrosion on the copper rod cause power failures on its own?

2. If the answer to #1 is, "yes," is it possible to get a replacement copper heat sink to test this possibility?

3. If the answer to #1 is, "no," then does anyone have any further suggestions as to what I should be looking for? For instance, it crossed my mind that perhaps there's corrosion on the CPU pins or in the socket. I have some time on my hands at this time of year, so I'm willing to go ahead and finish taking it apart if folks think that would be useful.

My boss has already indicated that he's going to get a new laptop rather than spend any more money fixing this one, so I have permission to systematically take it apart.

By the way, this machine is a Lenovo 3000-n100-0768-6FU

- 1.6 GHz Intel 950 Centrino Duo

- 512 MB DDR2 RAM

- 80 GB 5400 RPM Hitachi SATA HD (that I replaced with a 120 GB drive) 

- Wireless, Bluetooth, DVD/CD burner, etc.

Options

4 Posts

11-07-2008

New Delhi, India

5 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 28 of 79

2008-11-07, 18:01 PM
The most common reason for this is over heating caused by excessive hard disk or processor activity which makes the intel processor to shut itself as a precaution against overheated environment. This can happen in any model of laptop. The overheating is caused actually by software programmes like windows search or other indexing programmes. Excessive indexing activities gets the hard disk and processor in to hyperactivity and you can feel considerable amount of heat emitted at exhaust points. The only way to rectify this problem is to uninstall programmes like Windows Search, or other hard disk indexing applications that come with some CD  writer software. 
Options

4 Posts

11-07-2008

New Delhi, India

5 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 29 of 79

2008-11-07, 18:10 PM

The most common reason for this is over heating caused by excessive hard disk or processor activity which makes the intel processor to shut itself as a precaution against overheated environment. This can happen in any model of laptop. The overheating is caused actually by software programmes like windows search or other indexing programmes. Excessive indexing activities gets the hard disk and processor in to hyperactivity and you can feel considerable amount of heat emitted at exhaust points. The only way to rectify this problem is to uninstall programmes like Windows Search, or other hard disk indexing applications that come with some CD  writer software.

Sometimes, this overheating could lead to blue screen error if the OS is able to recover in time just before the processor shut down. Microsoft might even send you a message in response to your error report asking you to reduce graphic accelleration rate. This is really not the source of the blue screen problem. It is simply overheating. Laptops do not have adequate heat sink or exhaust fan facility to cope with such hyperactive processors or disks. Just unistall windows search and similar indexing applications. I wish Microsoft analysed the error report in the context and gave proper response than giving misleading suggestions

Options

24 Posts

07-03-2008

Portland, Oregon US

19 Signins

354 Page Views

• Views: 354
  • Message 30 of 79

2008-11-07, 18:25 PM

wrote:

Wow.

That's *such* an unhelpful post.

The previous poster takes the time to detail his troubleshooting steps, and then you add a nonsensical tip not appropriate in this context.

1> No notebook is going to shut down due to "too many applications installed."

None.

2> Overheat due to high cpu usage (though gpu activity is a more common culprit) is handled by the cpu slowing down. If it gets to the point that the overheat shut off is activated, you have a hardware or environmental problem.

3> Error reporting happens at a much higher level than the boot process. As the OP noted, this is in a situation where the machine is clearly, definitively, NOT in an overheat situation.

If it were somehow possible that the shutdown were caused by a stale error code from the previous boot (extremely unlikely - I can't even imagaine it as a possibility) the system would still have been able to reboot immediately, and since the OP is clearly a tech, I'm guessing he tried booting up more than once, and would not have bothered to post if this were the case.

I hate being a jerk about this, but you are putting out nonsense "information" that can be misleading for non technical people, and cause uneccessary frustration.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms