Options

2 Posts

06-30-2020

US

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 5

Latest Lenovo Laptop (of any type) with most upgradeable parts?

2020-06-30, 21:16 PM

I want to buy a Lenovo laptop that I can upgrade the most amount of parts, I'm new to this and will be my company's IT guy (i'm an accountant who switched majors from Electrical Engineering in 2004 so I'm the most qualified apparently).

What Lenovo laptops can I upgrade the most with? (especially the CPU and GPU as well as the typical RAM & storage)
From hours of research it looks like maybe the T540/T440 is latest model to upgrade the CPU but it's SO hard to tell without digging into every single laptop's specs.

Please and thank you!

Solved! See the solution
Options

10784 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6902 Signins

735359 Page Views

• Views: 735359
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Latest Lenovo Laptop (of any type) with most upgradeable parts?

2020-06-30, 22:27 PM

Hi noobITguy,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

As each Company have different flavors / variants and model for users, it would surely be confusing what to get.

If you are looking at Lenovo to get you a primer on how to start, the Thinklines are consider the top models for business.

Highest of which is the T series while X are also on same category but does offer more slimmer design so we expect lesser big parts than the T series.

Idealine are more of the Consumer brand packed with lesser expandability of parts.

My suggestion is to check it further along with the Lenovo site along with the top pick of refutable computer reviewers.

List done the requirements of your software and hardware that is expected for your company's need.

Then match it with the Thinkline model you have isolated from your other list.

This way you can narrow down things and get you the ideal machine.

If you want further insights on the model, product specification sheet here and parts lookup tool can help you be specific on the detailed parts offered.

You also have the Community Forums along with the categories for fellow users that you can post for thier shared ideas and insight.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3515 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4266 Signins

47477 Page Views

• Views: 47477
  • Message 3 of 5

Re:Latest Lenovo Laptop (of any type) with most upgradeable parts?

2020-06-30, 22:38 PM

I don't know of any manufacturers producing business laptops that have upgradable CPU's or GPUs these days, because the market wants thin, light and powerful laptops that require the CPUs and GPU to be soldered on board.

There are some gaming laptops out there that have socketed CPU and GPU such as such as Alienware's Area 51 model, but it is big. expensive ($2500 USD), loud and heavy (8.5 pounds), so it is not something most would want to pack around all the time.

Your best bet is to look for laptops that you would expect to meet your business's requirements or the next few years and are within your price range, but also note that most manufacturers also offer leasing options that keep your laptop technology current as well.

Best of luck, 

Options

10830 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39492 Signins

410937 Page Views

• Views: 410937
  • Message 4 of 5

Re:Looking for best upgradable laptop

2020-07-01, 1:13 AM

Intel has made only soldered cpu's since the generation of T440p/T540p/W540 so the cpu and gpu cannot be upgraded.  Different models have 0, 1. 2 or 4 memory slots.  5th, 6th, and 7th generation machines (like t450, t460 and T470) can use 16GB DIMMs.  Starting with 8th generation machines (T480) 32GB DIMMs are also compatible

Rich

To help with forum searches, check this out: https:/forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Using-Browser-Search-to-find-your-answers-in-Lenovo-and-Moto-Community/m-p/5016916

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

06-30-2020

US

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 5 of 5

Re:Looking for best upgradable laptop

2020-07-02, 17:04 PM
You're the best, thank you very much!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete