Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

06-23-2009

Leicester, United Kingdom

7 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 1 of 2

Start Up confusion

2009-06-23, 10:36 AM

I have a Lenovo 3000 N200 running Windows XP professional and have recently found that I have to manually stop the program AwaySch at shut down. Browsing has so far told me this has happened following a recent update (not sure if this was the XP SP3 update or a Lenovo update).

Question is - do I need this progam running anyway? I have no idea what it does.

This leads me to the main point, which is I have over 20 programs in 'Start Up' and am sure I do not need all of them running all the time. How do I go about finding out what each of these does (and whether I need it) without having to switch each off individually and seeing if this causes a problem?

Thanks in advance ........

Options

10 Posts

06-27-2009

Canada

10 Signins

320 Page Views

• Views: 320
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Start Up confusion

2009-06-29, 23:18 PM

Sorry I don't know of an easy way to determine what programs need to be running at startup. If you are running a factory configured system then you probably have a bunch of "useful" software that starts running at boot. Have a look at add/remove programs and see if you can figure out what software you can do without. Once you get rid of some of the superfluous software your program startup list might be a little shorter. Keep in mind that Lenovo installs some software that might be useful to them if you call tech support but if you don't plan on calling tech support go ahead and remove it. If you have your own copy of XP Pro. you can install it and then fetch the necessary drivers for your system then you'd have basically nothing running at startup with the exception of little programs for your touchpad and maybe video card plus anti-virus. I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms