Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-04-2021

Australia

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 11

V310-15IKB Laptop Bricked following encouraged BIOS update

2021-05-04, 8:09 AM

One of my clients has a number of Lenovo laptops, including multiple V310-15IKB devices.

After months of asking for a Critical BIOS update (by Lenovo update software) one of the devices was updated by the client, unfortunately I was not asked as I would never encourage BIOS updates unless completely necessary. After leaving the device for over an hour to complete the BIOS update I have been contacted and the device is now not BOOTing or POSTing BIOS and merely a black screen appears with slightly different dimming of backlight.

How can we resolve this issue without replacing the motherboard? We have other devices that are exactly same model, can we somehow export their BIOS and flash the device or is there a way we can extract the BIOS file another way and BOOT to USB and flash?

I have also considered travelling onsite and removing battery and CMOS, will this load default BIOS settings?

Please assist as Lenovo customer support have claimed no responsibility and claimed this is bad luck for the client as they clicked on the disclaimer preceding the update and have specifically stated to replace motherboard (quite disappointed and seems online not the only one that has suffered same issue). 

I am offsite, however can travel onsite if there is a good chance of resolving issue.

Thank you and I appreciate your assistance.

Kind regards,

Joe

Options

1858 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

115 Signins

10700 Page Views

• Views: 10700
  • Message 2 of 11

Re:V310-15IKB Laptop Bricked following encouraged BIOS update

2021-05-04, 8:45 AM

Hello JSMO,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

BIOS updates are not that really necessary to the machine unless needed after part upgrade or replacement. There could be ways to simply disregard the BIOS update prompts.

It would be good to power cycle the machine first and then access the machine's Novo button to see if it can still boot to BIOS.

If this did not work, then it would be worth a try to get in touch with a nearby service facility to have the machine checked for you.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

05-04-2021

Australia

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2021-05-04, 9:04 AM
Of course it is not necessary, however many people including my client do not understand this when Lenovo update is telling them it is a critical update. Lenovo should not be encouraging this. Regardless, your response is unhelpful and again Lenovo taking no accountability. I am the service center (your link fails to provide any service centers btw) as this is my client and therefore why I am asking what can be done to resolve this issue. Please if someone can assist or give me an Australian telephone number that is a service center (we are in Perth)? Thank you. Joe
Options

4 Posts

05-04-2021

Czech Republic

10 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 11

2021-05-04, 10:34 AM

Same problem here. You release version of BIOS wich brick the laptop and say "it wasnt neseseary to update the BIOS"?! If your application wouldnt constantly remind me about how critical this update is, i wouldnt surely install it!!! Do the user repair guide if possible or do the takeback and free repair. Othervise it was the last Lenovo i bought and recomended ever. And be sure ill spread the word about this outrageous approach.

Options

1858 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

115 Signins

10700 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2021-05-04, 14:55 PM

Hi JSMO,

It would be good if you can please share the machine type model / MTM of the unit (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.

Welcome to the Community Forums Jan Bartoň,

I'd like to ask for your machine unit as well (ex: Ideapad 330S-15, etc.) and to please share the machine type model (MTM) as well (ex. 81C70000RK) from a sticker underneath your device. It would be a good to share these two information on this thread.

The machine type model / MTM consists of more than four characters.

Update us soon as convenient. We look forward to your reply.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3 Posts

05-04-2021

Australia

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2021-05-05, 2:41 AM

As attached.  MTM: 80T330185AU

Regards,

Joe 

Admin note: picture showing serial number removed, MTM entered

Options

4 Posts

05-04-2021

Czech Republic

10 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2021-05-05, 7:47 AM

here my MTM: 80T300M7CK

Admin note: picture showing serial number removed, MTM entered

Options

1858 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

115 Signins

10700 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2021-05-06, 16:26 PM

Hi all,

Thank you for the response. Please try to establish if this is a hard brick or if the machine just lost the boot information, would the hard drive still be accessible? If you can access it, shut down the machine properly, you may try to initiate a power drain, then access the BIOS through your Novo Button.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Options

4 Posts

05-04-2021

Czech Republic

10 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2021-05-07, 8:32 AM

Hi and thank you for your questions. I can surely access the harddrive if ill disassemble the notebook, and get it out. If you mean the access via any internal interface - its impossible - trying the pin-hole button but no response. I hear the internal fan, i see the green underlight under the power button, but display stays completely off, no beep, no POST screen, no reaction to any button. This "power drain" is done by holding the pin-hole button? I didnt find precise description of it.

Options

1858 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

115 Signins

10700 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2021-05-07, 11:22 AM

Hi Jan Bartoň

I appreciate the response. Apologies for the inconsistency. Thank you for replying about your findings.

Power drain/static response is done through:
- Make sure there is still remaining battery power, able to power up the machine.
- Disconnect all cables and/or peripheral devices connected to the machine (ex. power cable, hdmi cable, external mouse/keyboard, flashdrives, etc).
- Ensure that device is powered/switched off.
- Press and hold down the power button for as long as 60 seconds to drain flea power or excess voltage.
* The machine should remain in off state. Try after 60 seconds, turn the machine on again.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms