Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liamwaltz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,450
Message 1 of 10

3000 N100 PXE Error, won't boot to BIOS

Hello folks,

I recently picked up some second hand laptops as projects for spare time and to learn a bit more. One of these is a Lenovo 3000 N100. I'm not sure of the exact model as the COA sticker is worn away. The laptop came without RAM, Hard drive, or battery! I'm aware this may be more effort than its worth, but wanted to give it a go.....

With RAM installed, the white Lenovo splash screen displays (sometimes quickly, sometimes takes ages) - if i press Esc then the following info is displayed:

Unknown Project ID!!! BIOS Version ??? 61ET32WW

CPU = Intel (R) Celeron (R) M CPU 410 @ 1.46GHz

1023M System RAM Passed

1024K Cache SRAM Passes

System BIOS Shadowed

Video BIOS shadowed

CD ROM.....

Mouse Initialized

Pressing F1 or F12 does not do anything.

The following errors are then displayed, which from Google I can see is a common problem. However, I cant find a fix that applies to me.

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE:MOF:exiting PXE ROM

Operating System not found.

From what I can see online, the laptop is trying to boot from a network/LAN. I tried an XP boot CD with no joy.

I can't access BIOS to change boot priorities.

The RAM appears to be functioning judging by the above messages?

I tried putting in a blank HDD and removing it (tested HDD using novatech USB SATA adapter, appears to be working fine).

Is my next option to reset the CMOS battery? I should add that on the first screen I initially received error codes 0271 and 0251 regarding system date and time and CMOS checksum bad, but having left the laptop plugged in overnight, these are no longer appearing.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,433
Message 2 of 10

Re: 3000 N100 PXE Error, won't boot to BIOS

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

I'm not an owner of your model, but in reviewing the Hardware Maintenance Manual for the N100 it notes that you must press the Lenovo Care Button when the computer is powered up.  You will then be presented with a menu from which you can access the BIOS Setup.  Page #104 of the manual will show you the location of the Care Button.  Here is a link to that manual for your reference......

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3553_03.pdf

As for clearing the CMOS, it is probably not needed.  If the time and date were cleared and you received a CMOS checksum error then all the information stored in the CMOS was likely cleared  when the battery lost power from sitting unused.

Once you are able to get into the BIOS you should be able to correct the boot order so that you can use the XP boot disc.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

liamwaltz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,430
Message 3 of 10

Hi Majestic,

Thanks for your response. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried accessing the BIOS via this method - I can get the desired menu up using the Lenovo care button, but when I press F1 (the menu option to access the BIOS) nothing happens, the laptop simply proceeds to the PXE Error once the timer runs down. The other options give the same result.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,420
Message 4 of 10

I would pull the LAN / wireless card to see if that made a difference in accessing the BIOS.  After the card is removed and before trying to boot the computer up, do this......

1. Unplug the charger / adapter.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the Power Button for 15 seconds.
4. Re-install the battery, plug in the charger / adapter if needed and power up the system to see if the problem was resolved.

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

liamwaltz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,416
Message 5 of 10

I tried those steps but unfortunately there is no change - I still cannot access BIOS and the same PXE error occurs.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,385
Message 6 of 10

The problem you are encountering maybe why the laptop was retired in the first place.  I would give it one more try and remove all the hardware like the hard drive, optical drive and memory to see if it will boot differently then it has been.  If so, add back the memory and see how it boots. If you still can't access the BIOS Setup then I would suspect a motherboard problem.

liamwaltz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,372
Message 7 of 10

Sorry for the delayed response - I still havent been able to access the BIOS, however -  think I had an issue with my XP CD as I have been able to install windows using another CD and Ultimate Boot CD also loaded. I'm now going to try to update drivers (and hopefully BIOS) and hoping that will solve the issue. Thanks for your help!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,364
Message 8 of 10

No apologies needed for the delay. 

I can't understand why you still can't access the BIOS, but it sounds like you have made progress with the OS install.  Hopefully a BIOS update will resolve the remaining issue.

You're more than welcome.  Thanks for the update. 

liamwaltz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,341
Message 9 of 10

No wonder the BIOS issue was confusing - it turns out that F1 and F12 are dead keys, along with one of the Ctrl keys (I used an online keyboard checker to test). So the key for BIOS access and for the boot list both were not working. I managed to access BIOS using a USB keyboard. I think i'll try to reseat the keyboard first, if that doesn't work, have a go at an individual key, and if that fails - a second hand keyboard. BIOS is not the latest version, but I guess there's not a massive need to update?

XP installed for now, as I don't have any spare Windows 7 keys. I have some 2Gb RAM modules, so will upgrade it to the maximum 3Gb. Then decide whether to keep it or not! I've a Z60M which I prefer, so this one will probably get given away or sold. Just a shame the RAM is so limited on them.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,326
Message 10 of 10

Good detective work with the keyboard. 

As for updating the BIOS, if you have narrowed the problem down to a defect in the keyboard then I would avoid the BIOS Update.  When the keyboard is fully functional then is the time to update if it is still needed. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors