Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skay_baltimore
SCSI Port
Views: 3,394
Message 1 of 19

Battery setting on V570?

Hi. I was wondering if the default Energy Management battery setting of 50% can be changed on the Lenovo V570. I keep the laptop plugged in almost all of the time, and the popup suggests using the setting that keeps the battery at 50% all the time. That's fine in terms of not over stressing the battery, but if I need to unplug the laptop, I'd rather have a fuller charge than only 50%. I'd read that ThinkPads can be set to 90% or other settings. Is that possible with the V570?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,378
Message 2 of 19

Re: Battery setting on V570?

ThinkPad Power Manager has more settings in it than Energy Management.  The older versions of Energy Management were set to 80% for battery lifetime.  

About the only thing I know to do would be to change the setting to battery runtime and charge the battery to 80 or 90% and then change the setting back to battery lifetime.  Your battery should only degrade naturally about 1% a day.  Not very elegant, but it works.  

I experimented with various versions of Energy Management in a U160 and they all worked okay except for the newest one.  (It said I had an illegal battery).  

Keep in mind that the Hotkeys utility is incorporated into Energy Management, so changing the version might mess up the hotkeys.  If you do change the version, you have to make sure to uninstall the old version first or you'll end up with two Energy Management icons in the taskbar and neither one will work.  (I did that too.)

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
skay_baltimore
SCSI Port
Views: 3,369
Message 3 of 19

Thanks very much for your response. You said you experimented with various versions of Energy Management in your laptop. Does Lenovo make available previous versions, or only the most current version? And do you happen to know if the ThinkPad version(s) work in an IdeaPad laptop?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,362
Message 4 of 19

Different models of IdeaPads had different versions.  You'd have to go onto the driver site of the different models to find the different versions.  I asked once whether Energy Management was the same for all the different models of IdeaPads and I never really got a straight answer, so I experimented.  

If you are going to do this, set a restore point in Windows just in case you have to get back to the way you are now.

You can try the version that I have in the U160 by going to the U160 driver site.  I believe my version is 5.4.1.7.  

There is a thread around here where somebody put ThinkPad Power Manager on an IdeaPad and they say it worked, except it wouldn't recognize the battery.   Here is a Knowledge Base article on that.

If you are going to go the Energy Management route, check the Hotkeys function when you install it.  Energy Mangement might work okay, but the Hotkeys might be messed up.  When I did it, I didn't really check the Hotkey functions, I just wanted to see if different versions would work on the U160.

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
skay_baltimore
SCSI Port
Views: 3,349
Message 5 of 19

Thanks much, Dave. You were very helpful. +1

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,340
Message 6 of 19

Let us know how you make out.  I'd like to know.

Dave

skay_baltimore
SCSI Port
Views: 3,325
Message 7 of 19

Will do. I'll probably try your suggestion first of charging it up to 90% then go to the battery maintenance mode, using the Energy Manager meant to be used with the V570, and see how that goes. I'm also curious what will happen when I buy a non-OEM battery -- that's probably my main concern at this point. Either way, I'll post back with an update.

skay_baltimore
SCSI Port
Views: 2,834
Message 8 of 19

Well...here's the good news...and the bad news. Using the Energy Management system designed for the V570, it was easy to charge the OEM Lenovo battery to 90% using the "Optimize For Battery Runtime" setting, then switch over to the "Best Battery Health" setting so that the battery would not constantly be charging.

UPDATE: OOOPS. I forgot that once the "Best Battery Health" was selected, it would NOT allow the battery to just stay at 90% -- it brings it back down to 50%. (My mind has been fried the past 3 weeks dealing with a bad Avast update from v 6 to v 7. Sorry.)

The bad news is that I purchased a non-OEM battery from Amazon that was purported to be compatible with the V570, but was definitely not. I don't care about the "illegal" label Lenovo throws out; but I do care that the battery would not charge, not even over night with the laptop turned off and still plugged in.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,828
Message 9 of 19

Non-OEM batteries are always a hit or miss proposition.  I've bought quite a few of those batteries over the years and I'd say that one in three had to be returned.

This battery that you bought:  Did it have any charge in it at all when you got it?  Did it power on the machine just by battery?

Dave

skay_baltimore
SCSI Port
Views: 2,821
Message 10 of 19

The battery had a full charge. 100%, in fact. And it definitely worked as far as powering up the laptop. Then I got the dreaded "99% available (plugged in, not charging)" message when the cursor was over the sys tray battery icon. (In the "Optimize For Battery Runtime" mode.) And nothing I tried could get it to charge, and the Lenovo "conditioning" routine would not work either. At first I thought I could correct it by using the "turn off the laptop, unplug everything, take out the battery, hold the power button for 30 sec/1 minute, etc", because that seemed to work for a lot of folks. But unfortunately, it didn't work for me. The OEM Lenovo battery works fine; just not the knockoff battery. It's so weird that some of the knockoffs work, and some don't. I wonder why that is.

At this point I'm thinking about getting a Lenovo battery, from Lenovo, for $69. (While it's almost double what the knockoffs are selling for, at least it's not the $180 that the OEM batteries used to cost.) But it looks like the one I need for the V570 is back ordered for a month. They have one that's in stock for the Y570, but the sales person said the Y570 wasn't compatible with the V570. Does that really make sense? I mean...it's a Lenovo battery, and not some knockoff. Do they REALLY make ALL those different batteries for all their laptops?!!!

One final observation: The OEM Lenovo is 10.8v, whereas the knockoff is 11.1v. I'm not all that well versed in battery construction, but I did read an article a while ago that talked about the different voltages, and, IIRC, there was some mention about problems that can occur when a replacement battery has a higher voltage than the OEM. But again...it's all pretty fuzzy right now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors