Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJStein
Paper Tape
Views: 1,372
Message 1 of 5

Cannot restore Windows after using Rescue & Recovery

I used R&R once and after doing so, I reboot and come up with error message saying "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\system32\c_1252,nls

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

Of course there is no original Setup CD-ROM with this computer.  I tried a Windows XP Professional CD from Microsoft and it cannot see any hard drive on my computer, so it will not work.

Is there a way to start over and re-install Windows??

jigsaw
Paper Tape
Views: 1,345
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cannot restore Windows after using Rescue & Recovery

BJStein
Paper Tape
Views: 1,324
Message 3 of 5

Thanks jigsaw. 

I did what you said, and was able to install Windows XP Professional. After doing so, I checked System hardware file, and could not believe the number of errors. Many drivers were missing. I could not even go online. I think my Lenovo  is headed for the trash can. I have spent over a week on it and I cannot afford the time.  Of course for security I first will remove the hard drive. I will not do this if I can purchase a new drive with the operating system already on it. I have two other notebooks so I am not out of business.

Bernie (BJStein)

jigsaw
Paper Tape
Views: 1,310
Message 4 of 5

hey Bernie

missing drivers.. not th end of the world. dont give up on Lenovo yet. i installed xp yesterday and found the drivers the ibm-lenovo support site. fill in you laptop specs.. i.e. model, OS, etc. and you should get a list of your drivers.. 

After i had th files i thought they didnt work but wat they do is extract you drivers to your local disk. 

Thers another site, sorry forgot to bookmark it but this one was sufficient in my case. Hope lenovos not in the trash yet  Smiley Happy

here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=%2Fproductselection%2Flandingpages%2F...

BJStein
Paper Tape
Views: 1,299
Message 5 of 5

Dear jigsaw:

I did not trash unit yet. Instead I tried downloading to another computer two different recovery files; tvtrnr42_1016en and z652_setup_016c.  When trying to run either, I got an error message "updatemonitor.exe".. This terminated the program. I checked this board and saw this problem has come up before. I gave up trying to fix it after 2 AM.

I see that there exists a CD available from IBM named "Windows XP Professional Edition Recovery" part nember 44Y 1562.  The phone number for 24/7 is 1-800-426-7278 for IBM parts. Not so, recorded message. So I will call today and check price and availability. The company I worked for as a VP of Engineering was a subcontractor to IBM. So while I am retired now, I worked together with IBM Endicott for years. So I am familiar with their procedures.

Thanks again for your support. I will let you and this group know how I do.

Bernie

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors