Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrunkenNinja
Token Ring
Views: 3,080
Message 1 of 6

Computer dies Randomly (Battery also dead) [PICS]

I have had my 3000 N100 Thinkpad for around 2 years now and after a year and a half I realised the Battery was no longer charging, soon after this happened my Laptop would just die randomly, when I say die I mean there is no shutdown screen  it is as iff all power to the p.c. suddenly stopped.

At first I though it must be a Virus but after numerous scans and re-installing Windows the problem re-occured, Today I opened the P.C. and checked the fan as I thought maybe it was over heating and eventually giving in, I was relieved to see a load of dust and used the vacumn to clear the fan.

I thought that would fix the problem but now if anything it seems worse, I know the battery is dead as the charge level is 0 and the battery indicator on the front of the laptop flashes 5 times organge before disappears completely...

In a Final attempt I have disconnected the battery completely and am now running it only on the power adapter, I don't know if this will work but I need to do something...

What could cause a problem like this, all of my settings are correct my power settings are set to always on with no hibernation.

Any help will be wonderful.

Thanks

Moderator Note; PIC warning added

Message Edited by andyP on 05-07-2008 11:58 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,070
Message 2 of 6

Re: Computer dies Randomly (Battery also dead)

Maybe the battery just went bad. The only way I can think of to test it would be to try the battery in another Lenovo 3000 or to try a new battery in your Lenovo 3000.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
RealBlackStuff
Token Ring
Views: 3,048
Message 3 of 6

Also, read the other posts about batteries, such as here.
Former Administrator
Views: 3,026
Message 4 of 6

DrunkenNija,

Welcome to the forum! Smiley Happy

As others may have suggested, I would start with replacing the battery.    You can click on the battery icon and check to see if it shows charging and what percent charge.   

If it shows not charging, then I would say the battery is dead and would suggest ordering a replacement.

I hope to see you around the forum.  

Best regards,

Lenovo Employee shumpert
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,006
Message 5 of 6

If you don't have a battery icon on your status bar (like my machine) just go to control Panel and open the Power Options icon.

Click on the Power Meter Tab at the top and the following screen will appear.

This is the screen you should see when you click on the battery icon under XP.

(Snapshot taken from my N200 work laptop)

Message Edited by shumpert on 01-18-2008 04:40 PM
DrunkenNinja
Token Ring
Views: 2,390
Message 6 of 6

Ok it's been a while but I wanted to post my limited sucess...

The Computer dying was a combination od (TWO) problems

1st Problem the Battery is definately dead, Does not charge at all, whenever it is attached to the Laptop it will die randomly, my guess is that it was one of those bad ones that got recalled but since it's been so long I doublt I would get any help returning it, the reason for it dying is unknown since it was always connected to the exteral power every time, best guess is that it might switch to battery momentraly whicle trying to charge, who know...

2nd I had a overheating problem, that I only descoved by taking it apart, I cleaned the fan and heat sink with one of the air blaster cans.

So the Solution is to have the battery not connected and fix the overheating problem, the laptop does not die anymore so long as the battery is not inserted.

This thread can be put with a Solved stamp and closed now ...

I have a new problem now that I will post in a new thread Smiley Tongue

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors