Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
UncleScott
Blue Screen Again
Views: 574
Message 1 of 14

Does Lenovo consider the V570 Ideapad obsolete?

I'm having a difficult time finding ANY update information relating to Windows 10 for my Lenovo V570.

The V580 appears on several "update" and "download" pages on Lenovo's site.....but nothing for the 570.

Has my laptop passed some sort of critical "age barrier" that I'm not aware of?

This page, for exampe: http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/downloads/ds014924, is a place where you can download the Power Manager utility for your Lenovo laptop.........UNLESS you own the V570. The 580 is there, but NOT the 570.

Did I not get the email announcing that my laptop is over the hill? (Yeah, I know, that page says for Win 7 computers....but Lenovo doesn't know what OS I'm running!!)

To make matters worse, THIS page (and many other Lenovo pages) invite me to click a button to "Automatically scan your system and get the latest available updates". Problem is, when I CLICK the Start Scan button...I get an error that says "Your system is not supported for system updates". Again, I must have missed the email.

To add insult to injury, there is, apparently no way to contact an actual Lenovo employee to ask the question: WHEN DID YOU STOP ALL SUPPORT FOR THE V570???

Disappoinging, Lenovo.....to say the least.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 527
Message 2 of 14

Re: Does Lenovo consider the V570 Ideapad obsolete?

Good day.

Looking at the V570 product support page: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Lenovo-V-Series-laptops/Lenovo-V570-No... it appears that there is support up through Windows 7, at least from an available driver perspective. So I wouldn't say that your laptop is obsolete or desupported.

On the other hand, the V570 is not listed on the Windows 10 compatible systems list: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Lenovo-V-Series-laptops/Lenovo-V570-N... as are a number of older machines. For example, my X220 is not on the list because, if my research is correct, Intel does not offer Win10 driver support for the HD graphics embedded in the Sandy Bridge CPU/chipset. 

All OEMs have made decisions about how many prior generations back for which they are able to support W10. In many cases, it's not entirely up to the OEM, especially when a subcomponent OEM (video, chipset, touchpad for examples) doesn't provide driver support. While that may be dissatisfying, my personal advice would be to run your machine at W7 and enjoy it. It's still one of my favorite OSes.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

UncleScott
Blue Screen Again
Views: 514
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for getting back, sarbin.

I get your point. I have almost resolved myself to downgrading to Win 7. But, it's a little more complicated than just "going back" to the old OS.

The core reason of my inquiry about support for the V570 is actually to do with a problem I've had for several years......even when I WAS running Win 7.

I'm having a recurring (every time I open Control Panel) error named "Power Manager - An error occurred while loading resource DLL" and I've not been able to find a resolution anywhere.

With any Win10 issues, all Lenovo's pages invite me to "Scan my system" to make sure everything is "in order" from a driver standpoint. I've had longstanding Power Manager issues ever since I accidentally downloaded an update for Thinkpad instead of my computer which, as you know, is an IDEAPAD.

I'd REALLY appreciate some guidance on where I can find things like:

1. What is/was the original Power Manager program that was loaded on my machine when new?

2. Can I download it from somewhere (along with its attendant resources) and try to get things (especially the problematice DLL) back "in order"?

Thanks VERY much for any suggestions/directions.

Michael

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 525
Message 4 of 14

As you've pointed out, ThinkVantage Power Manager is primarily for ThinkPads.

What I believe would have been installed on your machine is Lenovo Energy Management, which can be found under the Power Management section of the driver page. Here's the direct link: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Lenovo-V-Series-laptops/Lenovo-V570-No...

Does this help?

Regards.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

UncleScott
Blue Screen Again
Views: 508
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for getting back, sarbin.

I get your point. I have almost resolved myself to downgrading to Win 7. But, it's a little more complicated than just "going back" to the old OS.

However, the core reason of my inquiry about support for the V570 is actually to do with a problem I've had for several years......even when I WAS running Win 7.

I've been having a recurring (every time I open Control Panel and usually File Explorer) error whose message is: "Power Manager - An error occurred while loading resource DLL" and I've not been able to find a resolution anywhere.

This seems inocuous.....except for the fact that it FREEZES my entire computer, not just Control Panel. I then have to launch Task Manager or sometimes just do a forced Shut Down.....which is, of course VERY inconvenient.

With any Win10 issues, all Lenovo's pages invite me to "Scan my system" to make sure everything is "in order" from a driver standpoint. I've had longstanding Power Manager issues ever since I accidentally downloaded an update for Thinkpad instead of my computer which, as you know, is an IDEAPAD.

I'd REALLY appreciate some guidance on where I can find things like:

1. What is/was the original Power Manager program that was loaded on my machine when new?

2. Can I download it from somewhere (along with its attendant resources) and try to get things (especially the problematice DLL) back "in order"?

I'm hoping that if I get my original Power Manager and all its drivers/resources back in place, the error will discontinue.

Thanks VERY much for any suggestions/directions.

Michael

UncleScott
Blue Screen Again
Views: 503
Message 6 of 14

Error: 1628 Failed to complete installation.

Even in Safe Mode, wouldn't install: Error 1719 Windows installer could not be accessed.

Hmmm. Any suggestions there?

Thanks for helping.

UncleScott
Blue Screen Again
Views: 503
Message 7 of 14

Call me naive....but is there no way to identify what that "resource DLL" is that's having trouble......throwing the error.....and just deleting it from the registry somehow?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 498
Message 8 of 14

@UncleScott wrote:

Error: 1628 Failed to complete installation.

Even in Safe Mode, wouldn't install: Error 1719 Windows installer could not be accessed.

Hmmm. Any suggestions there?

Thanks for helping.

Just to clarify... is your system still at Win10?

The package I linked is for Win7. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to install into Win10 even in safe mode or from a compatibility command prompt.

Regards.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 495
Message 9 of 14

@UncleScott wrote:

Call me naive....but is there no way to identify what that "resource DLL" is that's having trouble......throwing the error.....and just deleting it from the registry somehow?

You might be able to get some hints in the event viewer logs.

Regards.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 485
Message 10 of 14

Looking back historically a bit, I see now that you have a parallel thread running on this, which started back in March: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-C-E-K-M-N-and-V-Series/Are-ALL-my-problems-related-to-Power-Mana...

Had I seen that, I would have merged them since multiple threads only splinter the discussion.

That said, my advice is that you reinstall Win7, get Win7 drivers and packages updated to a stable state, and go with that setup. If, after you're at a stable state, you still want to try upgrading to Win10 again, at least you won't likely have a historic DLL error pop-up.

Regards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors