Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,569
Message 1 of 6

Fixing External VGA problem on 3000 N200 0769-K2G

My external VGA has stopped working and it looks like a hardware problem. The system, even before Windows is loaded, can detect the presence of an external monitor but nothing is displayed even during BIOS system check. It failed after an external monitor had been unplugged, system used for a bit then monitor plugged back in.

My system has the discrete graphics option: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 256Mb.

Is the problem likely to be with the VGA Connector Card or should I attempt to replace the graphics adapter as a first step?

Also I cannot see how to purchase replacement parts. I have looked through the lenovo service pages

http://support.lenovo.com/en_GB/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD012903

and the "purchase parts online" link takes me to an unhelpful page without any service parts, only accessories etc. So advice on sourcing spares would be really helpful or maybe its time to buy a new laptop :-(

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,561
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fixing External VGA problem on 3000 N200 0769-K2G

Hi ChrisM,

If your machine works otherwise, then I'd say that the graphics adapter is okay.  If I'm not mistaken, the adapter is soldered onto the board.  Unless you're set up for board level repairs, that wouldn't be replaceable.

I'd try to source a VGA card first.  They are on ebay cheap. 10 bucks US.  

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
ChrisM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,541
Message 3 of 6

Hi

Sorry to be a nuisance but can I clarify terminology - I tried to use the same terms as in Lenovo's service diagram. The "VGA Connector Card" appears to attach the external VGA socket so I presume this is the thing that is soldered. The "Graphics Adapter" is presumably the card with the GPU etc. - is this the item you suggest replacing.

Chris

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,534
Message 4 of 6

Hi Chris,

The VGA Connector Card is what is replaceable, that's not soldered.  That's actually a removeable card.

The Nvidia graphics adapter is what is soldered on the board.  Everybody still calls the graphics a card, but it's actually a chip that's soldered. That's the GPU. 

And you're not a nuisance, the only nuisance questions are the ones that are never asked, but assumed.  

Edit:  Notice on your parts list, if you look at the system board, you'll see boards listed as integrated and boards listed as discrete.  The ones with discrete listed have the Nvidia chip.  To change the graphics, the board needs to be changed.

At the very bottom, the list of Nvidia "cards" have no number in the left column.  that card/chip comes with the board. 

Dave  

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
ChrisM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,526
Message 5 of 6

Cool. That all makes sense. Replace the cheap bit first. Then if problem persists it would be a decision on whether to replace the mobo or whole laptop based on cost.

Thanks

Chris

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,522
Message 6 of 6

Chris,

Yeh, you got it.

Dave

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors