Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mad_Breaker23
Paper Tape
Views: 495
Message 1 of 5

HDD exchange to new PC

I have a similar issue. The motherboard on my lenovo 3000 n200 finally failed after 6 years of abuse, and rather than replace the motherboard, i was advised that since the laptop was so old, it would make just as much sense to simply replace the laptop and swap the HDD. For sentimental reasons etc, i would like to swap it into another 3000 n200. The replacement i have my eye on is listed as type 0769-AKU, and my laptop is type 0769-AUU. I have never tried anything like this before and I'm a beginner when it comes to the technical aspects of computing. will the old HDD be compatible in the new laptop despite the difference in type? what other compatibilty issues should i be looking out for? and if they are compatible, once i drop in the old HDD to the new laptop, what steps will i have to take in order to get the new setup into 100% functionality?

Moderator note:  moved from topic in T61 and older board and new thread started here.

SeniorGuru
Views: 471
Message 2 of 5

Re: HDD exchange to new PC

@Mad_Breaker23 wrote:

The replacement i have my eye on is listed as type 0769-AKU, and my laptop is type 0769-AUU. I have never tried anything like this before and I'm a beginner when it comes to the technical aspects of computing. will the old HDD be compatible in the new laptop despite the difference in type? what other compatibilty issues should i be looking out for? and if they are compatible, once i drop in the old HDD to the new laptop, what steps will i have to take in order to get the new setup into 100% functionality?

The two systems are very similar. The differences are minor, e.g. CPU speed, base HDD size, etc. There should be no problem with swapping HDDs.

As I said above, once you've swapped drives and rebooted, run ThinkVantage System Update to update drivers for those differences.

As a bonus, if the new system has an empty RAM slot then you should be able to put the RAM from the old system into it in order to increase total RAM.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 464
Message 3 of 5

Unless you are using Windows XP, you would also have to reactivate the OS too. As such you should have your Windows Vista (Win 7 wasn't available on the N200) serial number ready (found on the authenticity sticker on the laptop).
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Mad_Breaker23
Paper Tape
Views: 398
Message 4 of 5

thanks! i will run ThinkVantage system update as soon as i have the new laptop in my possession!

I am using windows XP, would this mean that i wouldnt have to reactivate the OS?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 385
Message 5 of 5

For XP you don't need to re-activate.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals