Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PaulBunion
Punch Card
Views: 7,120
Message 1 of 19

Has anybody installed an M.2 card in a N22 or N23?

I ask because I just ordered an N23 and a M.2 card.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,115
Message 2 of 19

Re: Has anybody installed an M.2 card in a N22 or N23?

Hi,

I'm not familiar with that unit but looking at specs online I don't see an m.2 slot except perhaps for the wifi card.

Are you looking to install an m.2 SSD?  I appears that the N23 uses an eMMC storage device - probably soldered to the mainboard.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

PaulBunion
Punch Card
Views: 7,110
Message 3 of 19

Take a look at this Youtube video

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,091
Message 4 of 19

Re: Take a look at this Youtube video

Very interesting.  That's an N22, but I don't find mention of an m.2 SSD slot in its hardware maintenance manual either.

I'm wondering if the same mobo gets used in a different model w/an m.2 SSD installed.

Let us know how it goes.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

PaulBunion
Punch Card
Views: 7,084
Message 5 of 19

I will let you know if it works or doesn't. If not, I'll put it in my desktop.
PaulBunion
Punch Card
Views: 7,045
Message 6 of 19

M.2 Card Installed And Working Properly

WP_20170118_07_54_52.jpgN23 BiosWP_20170118_07_55_40.jpgN23 Bios

I can now report that the M.2 card slot does work. I just installed a Samsung 850EVO card in my N23 and it is working properly. In addition, the N23 was the easiest laptop to open up that I have ever worked on. Just have to remove 10 screws from the bottom and pry the bottom cover off. It came off easily and without any scuffing or damage. The whole job took about 10 minutes.

Adding 250GB of storage certainly turns this netbook into a more useful device.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,042
Message 7 of 19

Re: M.2 Card Installed And Working Properly

Excellent!  Thanks for reporting back.

Now, how about marking your post as the solution?

regards,

Z.

PaulBunion
Punch Card
Views: 7,038
Message 8 of 19

One more point

The card needs a very small screw to hold it in place. There is a place on the motherboard provided for the screw but there was no screw either with the computer or in the M.2 box from Samsung. I searched my container of screws and other bits and pieces but didn't find anything that would fit. So I just inserted the card and used a piece of tape to hold it in place.

m_a_schuster
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,689
Message 9 of 19

Oddly if you look at the diagrams of the motherboard that are pictured in the hardware manual, you can see the header for the M.2 card slot behind, and to the right of the CMOS battery that is taped to the shield.

m_a_schuster
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,688
Message 10 of 19

Re: M.2 Card Installed And Working Properly

Were you able to migrate your Windows installation to the SSD?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors