Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulBunion
Punch Card
Views: 2,162
Message 11 of 19

Re: M.2 Card Installed And Working Properly

No, I left Windows where it was originally installed but I partitioned the M.2 card and use part of it for Windows programs. Windows doesn't care if the programs are installed on the C: drive or the D: drive so long as it knows where to find them. That was my main purpose in installing the M.2 card. There just wasn't much space on the OEM SSD (non-replaceable) for programs like PhotoShop or Office 2016. There is a slot for a Micro SD card but it sticks out and I could not leave it in and close the rubber cover at the same time. Actually I cut off all three of the rubber covers; they were just a PIA to open and close. The M.2 card gives me enough storage space for music, photos, movies, etc. If I need more, I can pop in a micro SD card or just use a thumb drive.

JackTheLad
Paper Tape
Views: 1,992
Message 12 of 19

So is the 2280 m.2 card in addition to the 64GB SSD or do you remove the 64GB SSD and put the 2280 in that slot ?

The 64GB would then be a system boot drive, if it stays in the machine, with a 250GB Samsung 961 being for data storage.

PaulBunion
Punch Card
Views: 1,988
Message 13 of 19

The Sandisk 64gb eMMC is permanently installed and can't be removed. Unfortunately 64gb isn't enough for Windows plus all the programs that I needed to install such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop among others. The M.2 card slot can be used or not used. I chose to use it. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 x64 PRO Student Edition to the M.2 card and I formatted the eMMC so I can use it for storage. The laptop boots just fine to the M.2 card.

JackTheLad
Paper Tape
Views: 1,979
Message 14 of 19

Paul, Thanks for your reply. For my needs the using the 64GB drive for the system to boot will work just fine, so it is good to know that I won't have to do a reformat and OS migration, just put the new 250GB in the m.2 slot and fire it up.
It is interesting that in the photos of the BIOS Setup screen that it only shows your 250GB drive and not the existing 64GB drive .
Many Thanks Jack
@PaulBunion wrote:

The Sandisk 64gb eMMC is permanently installed and can't be removed. Unfortunately 64gb isn't enough for Windows plus all the programs that I needed to install such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop among others. The M.2 card slot can be used or not used. I chose to use it. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 x64 PRO Student Edition to the M.2 card and I formatted the eMMC so I can use it for storage. The laptop boots just fine to the M.2 card.

Sam110
Paper Tape
Views: 1,708
Message 15 of 19

"The Sandisk 64gb eMMC is permanently installed and can't be removed. Unfortunately 64gb isn't enough for Windows plus all the programs that I needed to install such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop among others. The M.2 card slot can be used or not used. I chose to use it. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 x64 PRO Student Edition to the M.2 card and I formatted the eMMC so I can use it for storage. The laptop boots just fine to the M.2 card."

I have a lenovo n22 and would like to know how I do this?

eddieras
Paper Tape
Views: 1,095
Message 16 of 19

i just found this thread looking for help. i have the N22 and just installed Kingston 120GB SSDNow M2 SATA 6Gbps (single side) but it's not being recognized. i went into the bios but it doesn't show there and i'm  not really sure what to do.  I did look at the video link of the N22 and specifically purchased this SSD because others said it worked. Any advice would be appreciated!

PSB89
What's DOS?
Views: 1,052
Message 17 of 19

Could you install windows on the M2 card? Thanks

PaulBunion
Punch Card
Views: 1,049
Message 18 of 19

Yes, you can install Windows on the M.2 card. If you do, then what would use the built in 64gb for?

007bond7
What's DOS?
Views: 140
Message 19 of 19

Can you put windows on this 250 gb drive and make it the boot drive and use the soldered in 32 gb as either extra storage or just ignore it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors