cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielwater
Punch Card
Views: 340
Message 1 of 3

Installing new hard drive, Need to know how to install opetating sytem, Old drive hard gone.

Like a bafoon, I think I may have tapped or banged on my mouse pad too hard on the laptop and damaged the hard drive. Laptop comes on, and you see the "Lenovo" trademark flash real quick like normal, but instead of going to my baground with the "sign in" slot with password, it just stays black. You can see the screen is lit up but it just stays black, but will not start up (Windows). My recovery button won't even work and I can't retrieve files and just want to start over with new hard drive. So, when installing new hard drive with nothing on it or empty hard drive (no windows, no files, no operating system, a hard drive fresh out of the box) what operating system DVD's do I need to get computer up and running again? This was a Lenovo N586 Windows 7, 64 bit laptop, scratch and dent buy, so I did not get the operating system DVD's when it came from Lenovo.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 325
Message 2 of 3

Re: Installing new hard drive, Need to know how to install opetating sytem, Old drive hard gone.

ArChLinuxOS
802.11n
Views: 306
Message 3 of 3

Re: Installing new hard drive, Need to know how to install opetating sytem, Old drive hard gone.

If I were you, I'd buy Windows 7. Here's a link (I used this exact product) http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-System-Builder-Packaging/dp/B00H09BB16 . If you aren't clear on how to install it, there are alot of youtube videos. Beware that you might need a partition manager to make the disk MBR format if it is GPT. This would require a live linux boot drive and GParted.

Y510p: i7 4700MQ (Overclocked to 3.6GHz), SLI GT 755M (Each Overclocked 111MHz), Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133MHz, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, MyDigitalSSD SuperBoot 128GB, Intel Wireless-AC 7260, Windows 10 Home
Dell XPS 13 (2015): i5 5200U, Intel HD 5500, 4GB 1600MHz, 128GB Samsung M.2 SSD, 802.11ac WLAN, Windows 10 Home (School Laptop)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors