Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maria
Fanfold Paper
Views: 80,601
Message 1 of 17

Keys t, y, backspace and shift not working

For the last ten days these keys have largely not been working. I have Linux and Windows partitions and they work on neither so it isn't a virus. Sometimes they do work, usually for a short period after startup.

I searched around the web and couldn't find a solution but did find another Lenovo user with exactly the same problem (I have 3000 N200 and he has 3000 N100):

"When i start up my laptop,which is a lenovo 3000 n100,all of the keys work fine, but after 5 minutes, the keys: t,y,backspace,caps lock,shift and enter stop working completely. sometimes tthey will start working again,but when they do it types double of the letters even if the key is only pressed once.then they often stop working again.it is very annoying as i have to use on-screen keyboard for everything. this started suddenly, nothing happened that could have caused it (e.g i didnt install any new hardware,spill a drink on the keyboard,etc) any help?
thanks everyone – it’s not so tempremental now,but for a safe bet im going to purchase a new USB keyboard :)"

http://laptops.doapromo.com/my-keyboard-is-messing-up

Anyone know what the problem is and what the solution is?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 80,255
Message 2 of 17

Re: Keys t, y, backspace and shift not working

try to remove keyboard device via device manager ( right click my computer > manage > device management > keyboards > find your keyboard > right click and select remove > then restart your computer )

if it doesn't work, you may need to replace the keyboard, contact lenovo support line and ask for replacement for free if you have valid warranty.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
maria
Fanfold Paper
Views: 80,253
Message 3 of 17

I don't think it is a wornout keyboard. All four keys stopped working exactly the same time which is too much of a coincidence. I also tried using a special computer vacuum cleaner to clean the keyboard but it didn't help so it is probably not dirt.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 80,250
Message 4 of 17

have you tried to use external keyboard?

if issue persists with the external keyboard, i suggest to contact lenovo support line main-board replacement instead of keyboard.

janana28
What's DOS?
Views: 80,133
Message 5 of 17

I am having the exact same problem with my keyboard.  Is there a solution other than replacing the keyboard?  Sounds like this is a pretty common problem.  I really don’t want to invest any money in a machine that has not been that great from the start.

maria
Fanfold Paper
Views: 80,006
Message 6 of 17

The problem seems to come and go. It was OK for a month and then played up for two days. Now it is back OK. Given the laptop is only a bit over two years old I am very wary of paying a lot to get a few keys on the keyboard fixed when it is hardly likely the rest of the keyboard will last very long.

A friend gave me a good Logitech external keyboard that is only a year or so old. It is QWERTY although he bought it in Belgium. Strange thing is that I can't plug it in to the Lenovo. The laptop and the keyboard appear at first glance to have plugs that match but when you try them there is a very subtle difference in the arrangement of the pins.

Does anyone know what this is? I thought all keyboard plugs were the same now. Is there some sort of adaptor I can buy or will I have to get a different keyboard?

vicky842
What's DOS?
Views: 79,824
Message 7 of 17

I won't advise anyone to buy Lenovo in their life, I had problem that laptop switched itself off automatically, now I had exactly the same problem as Maria, T,Y, backspace, left shift, caps lock and tab keys aren't functioning at all... I call their Banglore support center number, if anyone picks up the phone, pur me hold for ever (More than 1 hour), and if I send email to their admin team there is no response to that....

It's it a hardware problem because it doesn't work in Windows recovery mode either and I know how to handle machines as I work for Microsoft technical team...

I won't ever buy or prefer LENOVO...

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 79,818
Message 8 of 17

@ vicky842
sorry to hear that. i'll bring your issue to lenovo staff, they may help you.

Highlighted
decomullo
What's DOS?
Views: 79,487
Message 9 of 17

try pressing fn and pause break together

jugsaw101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 79,403
Message 10 of 17

keyboard not working; remove and replace back your keyboard to fix it

hi, i'm a newbie in this forum. i used to have the same problem with my lenovo v200,  over a year ago, some keys weren't working correctly ( e.g.  backspace, alt, y, h, backspace and some keys even type multiple letters)  . i'd tried unstalling the keyboard driver and reinstalling a new driver and even did a bios update, but the keyboard remained the same. to check wether it was a virus, i'd reformatted my hdd  and used an external keyboard. the external keyboard worked but not the laptop keboard. it wasn't a virus. it's the keyboard itself.  so i removed the laptop keyboard myself  and replaced it back,  after that all the keys worked fine. if you know someone who can help you remove and replace back your laptop keyboard you can make ur laptop up and running again. this isn't an easy thing to do but this is how i fix my lenovo laptop keyboard. hope this help. goodluck.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors