cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jacobhiggins
What's DOS?
Views: 6,871
Message 1 of 19

Laptop shuts off while gaming and plugged in.

Title pretty much says it all. My laptop shuts off when gaming, and only plugged in. It's not overheating I know that for a fact. Anyone know a fix? If you need any other info just reply or quote me or something, this is my first post.
I have the lenovo ideapad n585

Jacobhiggins
What's DOS?
Views: 6,751
Message 2 of 19

Re: Laptop shuts off while gaming and plugged in.

bump

Aleksandar011
Token Ring
Views: 6,738
Message 3 of 19

I've got a kinda similar problem. If i start a game while plugged in, my gt555m card will crash the drivers about 10 times in 20 seconds and just freeze the entire laptop after failing TDR (timeout detection and recovery). When it runs on battery power only it works flawlessly.

You can try running GPU-Z while gaming and check the logs after it crashes to see if anything is out of order.
I would note that your laptop isn't really built for anything other than casual browsing. How are you sure that it's not an overheating problem, have you had any monitoring tools whilst gaming?

Good luck

Jacobhiggins
What's DOS?
Views: 6,727
Message 4 of 19

Well the thing is, when I play I'll make sure my room is in freezing conditions (40 fahrenheit or something) with a fan blowing right onto my laptop. And if it shuts off I feel the bottom of my laptop and it's warm, 60-70 fahrenheit.
Meck22
Paper Tape
Views: 6,657
Message 5 of 19

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem, my laptop is G560. I know this is not a gaming laptop but I used to play games on it before, games like 2k13, Counter strike, Left for dead 2, and other mid specs games. Suddenly my laptop start to shutdown without any sign while playing games/plugged in/without battery attached about a couple of week. I already tried playing games with battery attched and it runs smoothly without the said shutdown problem.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Sorry for my English.

Aleksandar011
Token Ring
Views: 6,638
Message 6 of 19

Hi Meck22,

My individual research got me as far as identifying the problem, not even close to fixing it tho.

I'll try to be as clear as possible, i just got up so it might prove a bit challenging Smiley Happy

If you wanna be absolutely sure you've got the same problem as I did (past tense, still not fixed, bare with me) download GPU-Z and let it log while gaming, don't worry about crashing it should still save a GPU-Z log.txt file even if the system completely crashes.

So what we're looking for are idiotic values that make no sense at all. Per example after 4 seconds of gaming my nvidia GPU underclocked itself for a factor of x10. GPU clock went down from 752MHz to 52MHz, voltage went from 1.06(or something) to default state of 0.86(or something) i think you get the picture.

Now, the problem here is that you have an Intel integrated graphic processing unit which i know little about but my logic would say you do not have TDR problems and here's why: You Intel GPU is the only graphic chip you got on your system. It processes everything from desktop to browsing to movies to gaming. So if it was bugged like hell it should freeze your laptop at startup. It couldn't be directly related to gaming as it doesn't exclusively runs for games like the NVidia gt555m did.

Now the most obvious and boring conclusion would be your laptop might be overheating. Even if you’re absolutely sure it isn’t, it’s worth a check since you mentioned your laptop just randomly SHUTDOWNS not freezes.

I’d recommend you to download HW monitor and check your temperatures while running a game.
I believe you have an i3 330m CPU. It should shutdown to protect itself somewhere between 90 – 105 degrees Celsius (194 – 221 Fahrenheit).

If it is overheating get your vacuum cleaner and set it to blow. Blow out your cooling system to get rid of any built up dust. If you don’t have a vacuum cleaner with blow option, find some canned compressed air, and find a youtube tutorial how to do it safely.

TL;DR Now for the solution: I’ve sent my laptop to reseller for warranty. There is no other way to fix my personal TDR problem.

Meck22
Paper Tape
Views: 6,630
Message 7 of 19

Wow, appreciated your effort man for a detailed reply.

I will try the GPU-Z and get back to you soon with the screenshot.

By the way, I have i5 m430 CPU.

I already open my laptop to remove the dust and clean/change the thermal paste.

Thank you very much.Smiley Very Happy

RebbEsc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,507
Message 8 of 19

Did this fix the problem?

Meck22
Paper Tape
Views: 6,496
Message 9 of 19

Nah man, but I fixed the problem when I bought power supply replacement.

If your laptop is shutting down while plugged in without battery and not shutting down with battery, deffinitely we have the same problem.

If your laptop is still shutting down even you inserted the battery, then I think your machine is over heating.

Sorry for my english!

RebbEsc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,484
Message 10 of 19

Some what this problem, when i am using it plugged even doing something like surfing and stuff that does not require alot of process it shutsdown, but when i am using it just battery not plugged its fine no shutdown occurs

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors