Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HCCook
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,866
Message 1 of 12

Lenovo 300- N200 0769-BMG (Windows XP Pro) failed rescue-recovery from discs

I recently (beginning of February) purchased the above laptop, after saving up for some time...I had 4 weeks problem-free use from it and then, about four weeks ago, one morning it wouldn't start up... it went into a loop of booting up ok  until the windows XP screen came up, then going into restart and going through the same pattern again.

I phoned the 30 day support phone line ( I think it was a little over the 30 days) and the technical support chap told me it sounded like a problem with windows. he told me to take the hard drive out, put it in a USB caddy so I coud save all my school  data (I'm a primary shool teacher) and then send for the restore to factory settings discs.... not having access to a usb caddy drive and not being able to afford to buy one, I phoned the support centre to ask them to send me the factory settings discs... these finally arrived last friday.

I was able to recover my files which were on the hard drive, along with my son's A level course work,  and proceded to follow the instructions for the other 6 discs... the computer copied all the discs but whe it had got to disk 6 it switched back to the blue error screen which had a load of error message stuff on it... nothing else happened, the factory settings were not installed and the laptop now just boots to a black screen which says 'NTLDR is missing, press ctrl alt del to restart'

anyone know what the problem is?...it's been nearly a month now that I haven't been able to use it and I'm fast running out of time and patience, it's report-writing season coming up and I need a reliable laptop, not one I have to mess aroud with after only owning it for two months... my instincts tell me to send it back to the place I bought it from (BTshop-online) and ask for a replacement, different brand. I'm typing this on a borrowed laptop..any ideas?
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 10,857
Message 2 of 12

Re: Lenovo 300- N200 0769-BMG (Windows XP Pro) failed rescue-recovery from discs

HCCook, welcome to the forum,

sorry to hear about your problem. A little more information might be helpfull here.
were you informed about how the Lenovo care button works and had you tried to use it's function?
did the "crash" occur while disk 6 was still copying or after it had finished?
does disk 6 look dirty or damaged in any way and can you read it in the other computer?
do you have access to an USB floppy drive? (should one be required - don't know yet)

are you able to excuse my grammar, it's a long time since I was in school? Smiley Wink

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

HCCook
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,853
Message 3 of 12

Re: Lenovo 300- N200 0769-BMG (Windows XP Pro) failed rescue-recovery from discs

Yes, I was aware of the lenovo care button but it didn't kick in, just got a blue error screen with a whole load of stuff on it.

All the disks finished copying, and after the disk6 was finished the whole screen just went back to the blue message. I went through the whole process again and the same thing happened. so I switched off the computer and restarted it... this time I was able to access the carebutton, and the same 'rescue and recovery' window came up as came up with the discs. I tried doing the rescue and recovery from it and it stopped after a few minutes and a small window popped up and said 'product recovery failed'

Grrrrr..............I am beginning to wish I'd gone for an HP laptop, it was ony that the lenovo came with windows XP that persuaded me, and the price of course..£399...

unfortunately, the notebook I'm borrowing is just a little
asus eee pc and it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive..

thanks for your interest...

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 10,849
Message 4 of 12

That doesn't sound at all good Smiley Sad
If you go into BIOS, F1 when booting, see if you can change the hard drive mode to compatible or IDE rather than SATA or AHCI and see what happens when you try to recover using the LC button. (sorry, it's a while since I played with an N200)

If anyone else can chip in, feel welcome

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

HCCook
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,845
Message 5 of 12

It is in IDA mode for boot up...didn't make any difference the product recovery still 'failed to restore your system' Smiley Sad
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 10,840
Message 6 of 12

I've got the horrible feeling that either; you've received bad recovery cds or, you have a hardware failure somewhere.
My next idea, download Hitachi Drive Fitness Test for diskette or iso image for cd, whichever flavour you prefer and can use. Let it run on your N200 hard drive, even if you don't have a Hitachi drive it will say whether or not it is good or bad through the code at the end of the test.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

HCCook
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,836
Message 7 of 12

Hmmm... I don't think it's bad
cds unless they made a completely bad batch of the... I got two sets in the post on the same day! both sets exacty the same.

Another big shock, and something others maybe need to be aware of, I always assumed that warrenties werevalid for a year after purchase, when buying new goods. I just checked mine on the Lenovo site nd the year's warrenty runs out in the middle of September THIS year, only 7 months after my purchase date.... methinks that might just persuade me to give the
N200 back to BT Shop and never go near a Lenovo again!

thanks for all your help Andy,  but I feel like I'm fighting a lost battle here, and I'm seriously panicking about not being able to get my wrk done. The whole point of getting a laptop was to save me having to stay at school till 9pm every night writing the students annual reports...my time limit is 6 weeks and I really can't see this being soted... a lesson learned the hard way...I should have stuck with HP, never had any problems with them in the past.... hey ho...
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 10,832
Message 8 of 12

HCCook wrote:
...snip....
Another big shock, and something others maybe need to be aware of, I always assumed that warrenties werevalid for a year after purchase, when buying new goods. I just checked mine on the Lenovo site nd the year's warrenty runs out in the middle of September THIS year, only 7 months after my purchase date.... methinks that might just persuade me to give the
N200 back to BT Shop and never go near a Lenovo again!
...snip....

This has been discussed in the forum. The warranty in Lenovo's system is based on actual manufacture date. A proof of purchase will be accepted as start of warranty due to the fact they are not able, in advance, to know how long the notebook will be in transit, or lye on a warehouse shelf. Be assured this is not a problem.

I'm sorry you feel that way Smiley Sad An experience like this can leave a "bad taste", but please don't hold it against Lenovo. Electronic / mechanical equipment does go wrong from time to time, even Rolls Royce has a warranty department. It would have been nice to solve this one so as I could say my free time was worth it. Maybe you could contact Lenovo support again and explain the situation in order to see if they are able to resolve it quickly for you. 

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

HCCook
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,811
Message 9 of 12

I absolutely appreciate the time you have given me today, Andy...Thank you for that Smiley Happy
it's difficult to get in touch with the lenovo support staff for me, due mainy to the time the phoneline is open till, I find myself having to race home in the evening to try and catch them, and mostly just seem to get recorded messages or have to wait for a very long time...the last conversation I had was to waitiand load the recovery discs... but that hasn't worked so it looks like I mighthave to givwe it one more go tomorrow... I'm just waiting to hear BT's response to my request for a replacement alternative brand. I don't feel let down by the level of suport from Lenovo... just that the blasted machine went wrong wen it was so new.. and rather scary to read about so many other problems that users seem to be experiencing with Lenovo machines... maybe it would be helpful to have just one thread for people to post about how fabulous their machines are...Smiley Happy

Thank you
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 10,809
Message 10 of 12

Thanks

What is unfortunately also very true; those who don't have probelms or complaints, don't go looking for forums.

Good luck, whatever......

and don't forget to come back Smiley Wink

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors