02-09-2016 08:02 AM
This isa free laptop, Lenovo 3000 N100. I bought a power supply for it. It was running a Non-Genuine version of Windows 7 so I formatted and installed Puppy Linux.
Problem: The fan runs for a couple of seconds during bootup, then no more. The laptop will shutdown randomly, I assume from overheating but I don't know that. The battery is dead so I pulled it out and am running straight off the power supply.
I pulled the fan out and taped (3) 1.5V batteries together, hooked some leads to them and found that the fan runs fine and continuously. I cleaned out all dust found in the air vent. This has not fixed the problem. Something is telling the fan to shut off. Don't know if this is a motherboard problem or what? It is so far a free computer aside from the power supply.
Solved! Go to Solution.
02-09-2016 08:24 AM
Welcome to the Lenovo Community !
The fan problem maybe why the computer was free especially if you dumpster dived it.
With the fan wired to the batteries does the computer still shut down randomly? You could also see if Linux has any apps or software for temperature monitoring to confirm overheating. If overheating is an issue you should probably renew the thermal paste and see that the heat sink is securely mounted. Either of those can lead to high temperatures. If overheating is not an issue it just might be that the computer isn't getting hot enough for the fan to kick in for additional cooling.
02-09-2016 09:24 AM
It wasn't exactly a dumpster dive find. I banned myself from such activities a few years ago. It belonged to someone who passed away (nobody close to me). When relatives started cleaning out her place, (Think hoarder here), they decided to drop a couple of her laptops off with me.
As far as the fan, I just put 3 C size batteries in series to test the fan. I just wanted to make sure that the fan was working. When I stuck the fan back in the computer, it was disconnected from my test batteries. I guess I should try hooking it up to my test batteries to see if it keeps running.
Per your suggestion, I can pull the heat sync out and put more goop on it. Maybe that is where the heat sensor is and if the goop is all dried up, the thermal module is not conducting heat and suddenly things get hot and shut off, I am pretty sure I don't know what I am talking about but I will try the compound and let you know what happens.
Thanks for the reply,
02-09-2016 09:44 AM
Given the age of the laptop it is probably due for some new paste. Not too mention that the heat sink may have loosen over time. Finding and using a utility that will monitor the temperatures will give you a better idea if heat is the problem.
As for the thermal paste itself, Youtube has a variety of videos on the subject that will give you an idea on how to clean up the old and apply the new......
I've also included a link to the N100's Hardware Maintenance Manual just in case you do not have it already.....
02-09-2016 09:55 AM
An update here:
I have not pulled the thermal module out yet to put compound on it but since pulling out the fan and reinstalling it, the laptop shuts down within 1 or 2 minutes of booting into Linux. Before It would go 10 minutes without shutting down.I will try the compound after some errands.
02-09-2016 03:19 PM
After enduring the Mall of America for a couple hours, I came home, clicked on your link for the YouTube Videos. The first one I looked at, although a different model, had the same components. I found a tube of compound that is probably 15+ years old. I cleaned up the CPU and the Heat sync, pasted it up and booted up. The laptop has been running for over half an hour now which is a record. I may buy some newer compound next time I am near a computer store but it seems to be working for the moment. I am posting from the Lenovo now.
Thanks for your help. Looks like it did the job!
02-09-2016 04:11 PM
You are more than welcome.
Thanks for posting back with an update.