Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo C, E, K, M, N and V Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-09-2009

Bangalore, India

3 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 1 of 8

Lenovo 3000 N100 - Problem with keyboard. Most Unusual

2009-05-09, 19:36 PM
I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 notebook about  n half years old. Recently I developed a problem with the keboard. Certain keys - s, w,x, capslock, delete, 2 and the arrow key are not orking properly. I have to keep pressing these keys a number of time before they work n then they stop working again. The arrow keys go in the opposite direction non stop until some other key is pressed. and the delete button does not work n if i press it too long it starts shows 2. Please help
Options

6 Posts

02-26-2009

Lahore

27 Signins

127 Page Views

• Views: 127
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo 3000 N100 - Problem with keyboard. Most Unusual

2009-05-12, 7:52 AM

i have a similar situation with the same notebook

the only difference is that the set of keys for my notebook are different that stop working

after careful observation for over one month i have found out that this is (probably) related to overheating of the notebook

if the CPU temperatures remain below 60 degrees celcius all is fine on my notebook, once they go above this mark the keys stop functioning like the caps lock, TAB, right shift key , T, Y , [ ] and backspace

the keeps are working right now because the CPU temps are at 58 degrees celcius :)

i am using a cooling pad which has helped reduce my CPU temps by 8-10 degrees however since i live in a very hot city (Lahore, Pakistan) with temperatures soaring to 50 degrees celcius!!! unfortunately i have to sit under an air conditioner to keep my keys working

i hope this helps you as i was quite frustrated with this problem myself, now that i (think) i know what is the cause i aint frustrated!!!!

Options

6 Posts

02-26-2009

Lahore

27 Signins

127 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2009-06-17, 7:39 AM
bump
Options

5 Posts

06-09-2009

UK

7 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 4 of 8

2009-06-17, 10:05 AM

I posted the same problem about a week ago but still haven't got a reply from anybody at Lenovo!
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&thread.id=12659

kjil, when you posted your problem you said you were going to replace your keyboard. Did you not bother in the end? I am still using the same keyboard and I haven't had any problems for the last few days. I am keeping any eye on the core temp as you recomended. However I was getting the problem when the computer first booted and core temp was around 30-40C, the problem would then go away and come back again and the core temp was a steady 50C. So I can't be sure it is temperature related but it's hard to rule it out as the problem seems to come and go!

Just one extra point - I was using a program called autohotkey to map the PgUp/Home key to be Home normally and PgUp if the function key is held down (reverse of default config), same for the PgDn/End key. I only did this because I use the Home and End keys a lot whilst programming. Now I have removed autohotkey from startup and I haven't had the problem for a few days of fairly constant use. Is this just another coincidence? Will reapply autohotkey if I haven't had any repeat of the keyboard issue by the end of the month.

I just wonder if it could be some conflict in keyboard driver and some other software. That's why I was interested to know if your replacement keyboard solved the problem kjil.

regards,
dave.

Options

6 Posts

02-26-2009

Lahore

27 Signins

127 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2009-06-19, 17:33 PM

dave_k thanx for the reply

i never replaced my keyboard because i am not sure that there is anything wrong with my keyboard....i mean if it was the keyboard why for the last 10 days my keyboard has been working just fine? since it works sometimes and doesnt work sometimes i think i have to agree with you that there might be some software clash or update clash or something like that rather than hardware related........but then i remember that when this problem started i formatted my system and reinstalled a fresh copy of winXP and the problem persisted even before i installed the usual softwares and wot nots

this is turning out to be a mystery since i havent come across any suitable reply or remedy either. because nobody actually knows wot the problem really is........and until i am sure that changing my keyboard will help my problem i am not going to spend money on it

i agree with you it might not be something related to the core temps since i have had the problem sometimes even i boot the laptop after a 10 hour break...........

if you get an idea wot we r dealing with please let me know and if i do before u i will try to do the same

Options

2 Posts

06-22-2009

helena, MT

6 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 6 of 8

2009-06-23, 0:35 AM
I replaced the keyboard Lenovo sent me and the keyboard was defective.  So, the repair service simply took off the old keys and put the new keys.  Now, 10days later, flicker screen, spray and right now a black screen.  Repair service says I need a new backlight.  Other poster says there is a possible loose connection in the internal LCD to the computer.   What is going on with Lenovo 3000N100.  Is there a lemon issue here.  thanks for response.
Options

1 Posts

08-31-2009

SIngapore

9 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 7 of 8

bu problem remains.Re: Lenovo 3000 N100 - Problem with keyboard. Most Unusual

2009-08-31, 6:02 AM

hi kjil,

you've got the problem fixed ?  i am having the same problem - have formated the drive and changed the keyboard. still the same, the keys does not work after a few minutes after startup.

I've got the N100 in June 2006.

would Lenovo or IBM care to advise ?

Options

1 Posts

11-12-2009

singapore

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 8 of 8

ccRe: Lenovo 3000 N100 - Problem with keyboard. Most Unusual

2009-11-12, 12:40 PM

hi i have exactly the same problem, with exactly the same set of keys - caps lock, TAB, right shift key , T, Y , [ ] and backspace. mine is a Y430 ideapad

interestingly, my laptop started 'overheating' (gets very hot underneath) around the same time. however, not sure if the two are related as even when i start up the computer after its been shut down for 10 hours, the keyboard problem persists.

if anyone has a workaround to the problem, i'd really appreciate it. laptop is just out of warranty and i'd hate to have to buy a new one less than 18 months after this miserable laptop.

thanks

sanjay

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms