cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AH_Lenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 5,425
Message 1 of 14

Lenovo 3000 N100 random automatically power off (complete shut down)

I have this 3000 N100 laptop for over a year now with no problems (except the lousy battery which died in 6 months and I'm running on A/C since then). Last week I started laptop and this shutdown problem started appearing.

• System would start normally and then would suddenly power itself in 2/3 minutes (most of the times, but sometimes in runs for 2-4 hours before shutting itself down)
  • I checked the fan and processor. Nothing is heating up.
  • I changed processor. Even then it'd go down.
  • I have made the fan DIRECT (always ON) but the system still shuts down.
  • I tried hmonitor but it only reads HDD temprature which is 36-40C - I guess very normal.

Now I wonder where the problem may lie. Is it motherboard? What part of board might be getting heat? Or is it actually heat? Or do I need to get certain parts (capacitor, I/C or something) on Motherboard replaced? Any help? Comments? Suggestions?

Ravens23
Paper Tape
Views: 5,415
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo 3000 N100 random automatically power off (complete shut down)

I have been having this same issue the past couple days. I power my Lenovo laptop up.. it will boot into Windows XP.. then after 2-3 minutes - it will shut down. If I try to boot up again, the same process repeats.

It is running on A/C now and still does this ... could it be a battery issue still? This would be the third battery that I purchase for the laptop since I bought it new.

Thanks...

JMC
Paper Tape
Views: 5,407
Message 3 of 14

Did you clean the copper fan grill from the dusts? Plus just check the power connector on Motherboard. I came cross a problem with HP, Before all the connector was gold plated but now it is not, so it gets rusty,. Just scracth with sharp metal and re-solder the legs, see what happens? also same problem occure with power button. Make sure do not leak any solder or short the other parts at soldering process. Goodluck.

JMC

AH_Lenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 5,385
Message 4 of 14

Can rusty connectors be the real cause of this random behavior? I ask it because opening and resoldering on mainboard is a big task and I want to be sure that it's actually the problem.

Personally I find no reason that rust would sometime let machine run for hours and sometime would kill it in 3-5 minutes consistenly. Why won't it kill during boot or just after being powered on?  But if you've some reason, I'll definitely try it and share findings.

Meanwhile, anybody with any other explanations/suggestions?

Retired Guru
Views: 5,382
Message 5 of 14

See my post in the "Power Management problems" thread.

The previous owner of this laptop was experiencing random

shutdowns also with the bad battery. Before I replaced battery,

I ran it with the battery out with no shutdowns.

I think there is something in the charging circuit that is triggered by

the bad batteries, and causes alot of these problems.?

Duck3

AH_Lenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 5,369
Message 6 of 14

I pulled battery out and still it shutsdown Smiley Sad Does charging circuit do anything when No Battery in system and system runs on A/C?
SeanJulian
Paper Tape
Views: 5,333
Message 7 of 14

I faced the same issue as well, after I installed Windows 7 RC. I thought it was Win 7 causing the problems, but I faced the same when I restored my pc to the default Vista Business. Every 2-3 hrs it would randomly shutdown without a warning. It would even shutdown while running programs or transfering files from one hard drive to the other. Now I just make sure that my laptop stays cool with a cooling pad. Not had an issue since then. Just to add, cleaning and soldering didn't work in my case.
ixtreme
Paper Tape
Views: 4,919
Message 8 of 14

This is definitly not an overheating issue for me either as I have cleaned out all fans & heatsinks. I have also applied arctic silver 5 paste to CPU. Temps are usually running under 40 deg C.

I have been having the very same issues. I have tried changing CPU, memory, charger etc. I have found laptop will just turn off much more often with the battery in than out. I haven't tried a new battery yet but doubt this will solve any problems.

I'm sure this is a fault with charging circuit as you have said AH_Lenovo. Has anyone else managed to sort this kind of fault out yet?

AH_Lenovo have you tried resoldering & cleaning contacts? If so has it helped?

ixtreme
Paper Tape
Views: 4,913
Message 9 of 14

Have been reading through more of the forums & found this solution that seems to work without the battery - AC power only.

I don't know if a new battery would make a difference?

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&thread.id=11381

Ravens23
Paper Tape
Views: 4,898
Message 10 of 14

A new battery worked for me.. I am on my third one!

Top Kudoed Authors