Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jolson
Paper Tape
Views: 4,630
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo 3000 N200 0769 Keyboard problem

I'm having a strange problem with the keyboard on a newly acquired Lenovo 3000 N200 0769.

The notebook came to me from work, it had been messed up trying to remove Vista, and it wouldn't boot from the CD or enter the BIOS, it was just stuck trying to run Rescue and Recovery over-and-over without a working service partition.  

I've managed to get Windows7 installed on the machine and it working fine except for a couple of things.  The touchpad doesn't work (not recognised by the system) .  I suspect hardware in this case, so I've got a replacement touchpad coming.  

The bigger problem is the keyboard.  It doesn't work at all when the machine boots up.  This means I can't enter the BIOS, and I can't press "any key" to boot from a CD.  As soon as Windows (or Ubuntu, which I used to help recover the machine) loads the keyboard driver, the keyboard springs to life and works perfectly (I'm typing this message on the keyboard)

Because the keyboard works perfectly when drivers are installed, I'm inclined to think that the keyboard hardware is OK.  With Windows installed, I've upgraded the BIOS to the latest version, with no change to the problem.    I've tried using a USB keyboard (before flashing the BIOS), but it doesn't work either until the operating system loads.  I've also tried resetting the BIOS using the contact in the harddrive compartment.  This causes the BIOS to complain and offer F1 or F2, but the keyboard doesn't work, so I still can't get in.  I've reseated the keyboard and touchpad connectors on the mainboard.

Any ideas??  I would replace the keyboard if I knew it would fix it (or I ran out of options!), but I'm betting someone else has run into this before.  I tried ringing Lenovo for support, but when they found it was out of warranty, they said "I'm not allowed to talk to you"

Cheers

John

jolson
Paper Tape
Views: 4,560
Message 2 of 2

Solved: Lenovo 3000 N200 0769 Keyboard problem

Got the problem solved.

I was the dodgy touchpad.  Got one off of eBay amd just finished installing it 10 minutes ago.  The keyboard works properly from the moment the machine starts, and the touchpad is recognised and working properly as well.

Cheers

John

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors