cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simonides
Punch Card
Views: 7,145
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo 3000 N200 - can't access Rescue and Recovery - poss MBR problem???

I've a sick Lenovo 3000 N200 that was running XP home. I could no longer boot into XP, and could only access the Rescue and Recovery utility in the Lenovo Recovery Partition which would rebuild the hard disk to factory settings ie. Windows XP again with no data. I managed to copy off the data using a Paragon rescue cd, and then made the fatal mistake of attempting a MBR repair which was a very tempting option on the Paragon rescue cd. Now, not only does it not boot to XP, but I can no longer even run Rescue and Recovery to reinstall XP which is the problem!!!!

If I boot with a windows install disk and take the recovery console option it stops, reporting that "Recovery console did not find any hard disk drives connected to your computer. Setup cannot continue"

I wondered if restoring someone else's MBR backup might help me with this?

So, if anyone has a working Lenovo 3000 N200 and is prepared to try backing up the MBR to send to me, then please get in touch. It's probably worth making a backup for yourself in case the same problems happens to you!  I believe there's a bunch of programs that will backup the MBR for example MBRtool, MBRWizard and so on. 

Any ideas, offers gratefully accepted.

Yes I know I could buy the recovery disk from Lenovo but it's a matter of principle for me to avoid paying them  £50 or so if I can avoid it! Let's see if we can help ourselves here.....

thanks

Simonides

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 7,123
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo 3000 N200 - can't access Rescue and Recovery - poss MBR problem???

The XP disc wont find your hard drive unless you change the SATA settings in BIOS to Compatability mode from AHCI, the disc doesn't have the necessary drivers.

Here's a link to another tool you could try;

Rescue and Recovery - Recovery repair media

No promises, but it might work.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

simonides
Punch Card
Views: 7,104
Message 3 of 8

Hi Andy - that sounds like a couple of useful suggestions for me to try. I'll report back. Any thoughts on my idea of restoring an MBR taken from another Lenovo 3000 N200 ? Do you think that might work?

best

Simonides!

Retired Guru
Views: 7,079
Message 4 of 8

I think you need to know what is a MBR before doing that Smiley Happy

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
simonides
Punch Card
Views: 7,066
Message 5 of 8

I'm pleased to report that this problem is now resolved and I've restored the laptop to factory settings.  (And yes,  IPnaSh, I may not have heard of a MBR a month ago, but I feel it's an old friend now!)

thanks!

Simonides

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 7,047
Message 6 of 8

simonides,  that's great news Smiley Very Happy

Any chance you could post what the solution was, this would help others in a similar situation.

Thanks.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

simonides
Punch Card
Views: 6,997
Message 7 of 8

My pleasure Andyp!

The solution was to set the main partition to Inactive, and set the recovery partition to  Active, then restart and use the Lenovo Care button (now functioning at last) to access the recovery function so I could return the laptop to factory state.

No doubt there are lots of ways to do this but the approach I took to resolve this is stepped out below

1. Use another PC to download Paragon Backup and Recovery (I actually used the Suite trial edition but the free edition may have similar functionality

2. Burn a bootable Backup and Recovery 10.0 CD.

3. Boot the Lenovo from CD , and after a rather long wait, a menu should appear with 11 options, the first of which is Paragon Backup and Recovery.

4. Select Paragon Backup and Recovery.

5. Select Properties  from the Pick a task window and you'll see two partitions, one is quite big (in my case 143GB, called Preload) and the other is quite small (6GB called SERVICEV001) .

Note - This is a brilliant opportunity to use the Back Up Partition option to make a backup to USB external drive of both the partitions as rebuilding the hard disk with Lenovo Care button will cause you to lose ALL data!!!!!!!

6. Right click  the  Preload partition and select Modify and set it  Inactive

7. Right click  the  SERVICEV001 partition and select Modify and set it  Active

8. Remove the Backup and Recovery CD and put it in a safe place

9. Restart the PC and the Lenovo Care button (might be called something different) should now work, allowing you to restore the hard disk to factory settings which will wipe off ALL Personal data. Did you make a backup?

10. Windows should then start as normal, reinstall Paragon Backup and Recovery and restore your data.

Finally, look at this as a lesson to

a) get yourself a writeable DVD and use the Lenovo menu under windows to create a Lenovo Rescue and Recovery Startup disk.

b) Use Paragon or equivalent to create image copies of each partition and regular differential copies of the main partition.

I hope this will help owners of other systems that have a hidden rescue partition eg. IBM and  HP and would welcome any comments.

Finally, I must recognise the patient email assistance given by Taisia Smirnova at Paragon support in providing me with this solution.

best, Simonides

(If you found this useful please click the star to give me a kudos point!!)

DKARIMIAN
What's DOS?
Views: 6,305
Message 8 of 8

Thanks very much. 

Your reply realy saved me.

I changed my SATA setting and now it is working. A big releif !!!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors